When did you notice your dog was no longer a puppy...

Coco is coming up to her 1st birthday,and I've been wondering lately since her behavior has become more consistent is this who she is?She seems to have calmed down in the house alot,its creepy!If we go out for a walk when we come back she hops into her crate,grabs a toy and within 10 mins is asleep!She sometimes plays in the house but now it's more like a half an hour session in the evening and then she finds something to chew on instead!She still is a little white bullet in the park,still too excited to really focus and "play" with me in the park but she now settles down in most situations quite quickly.So I'm guessing this is her adult self?Maybe I don't know anything about maturity etc.It's weird I feel abit :S that she's no longer so desperate-to-be-in-my-face-on-my-lap. Saying that she finally seems to have clicked with the tricks I've been teaching her she FINALLY can do them 80% of the time now,it took her 1 day to learn paw!

When did you notice your pup was no longer a pup?How did you feel!?

yoko

When she learned to just stop when running instead of tripping and crashing into stuff.

Paige

Let it be
At around two and a half I noticed a lot more maturity. He has always been an old soul but he went from a mature to really mature.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Physically stopped being puppies at 2. Acting like adults? Still waiting for that to happen. I'm blessed in that the breeds I have never truly act their age. :)

Saeleofu

There have been several times where I thought Logan was finally growing up. Now that he's almost 3, he's an amazing dog and has really matured nicely, especially in the last 6 months or so. I think this time he finally IS mature, instead of just more mature ;)

Last time I thought Gavroche was growing up he was actually hypothyroid. He's still quite a pup, but he's as mature as he's going to get lol

mrose_s

BusterLove
I saw a big change in Quinn at about 14 months. She developed an offswitch about then but I still call her my pup and she's almost 2. I think she still has more maturing to do.

Gypsydals

Ahhhhhhhhh ummmmmmmmmmm mentally still waiting for that to happen and he will be 7 the end of May :eek:. Physically he was mature at 2. Peewee I swear matured mentally before he did physically. He's always acted like an old man.

Well I didn't get Pip until he was about 9 months old, but I'm pretty sure he was NEVER a puppy. :p

Maisy... I also got her around 9 months old, and I would say she was between 2 1/2 to 3 years old before I really thought "wow, she's all grown up".

Squash... Still waiting. :p He's not exactly a puppy any more, but he's not exactly no longer a puppy, either. He's far more mature mentally than Maisy was at his age, but he's not a grown up yet.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
About 2 years old for Juno. That's when the off switch started kicking in and she stopped being such a butthead. But, she'll be 3 next week and could still use some more maturing lol.

Lucy was never a puppy to begin with. :p

bitme

About 3yrs for mine, big sigh of relief. Do not miss the puppy phase at all as he can turn into one real quick even now!

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
We always say Quinn was born an old soul. She never really felt like a puppy to me - other than not knowing anything she was always exceptionally behaved and easy to live with. She's always been very focused and self aware. Kind of just picked up on the routine, was trustworthy, and had an awesome off switch whether we did anything yesterday or an hour ago. She was just super mature and didn't even want to run around or jump on me or nip me like a lot of young puppies do. I pretty much stopped thinking of her as a puppy when she was ~6 months old LOL, but even before then her "puppyhood" was pretty unusually boring! She's a year and a half now and I'm sure will continue to change, but she's been pretty steadily mature the entire time I've had her.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Hmm.... bodhi is 7 this year and I'm still waiting.

She's super playful and silly.

Temperament/personality-wise, my girls, I noticed a big difference at about 3-4 years.

My male... well. He's 2. Still waiting. I'm expecting 4.

Physical maturity kinda of comes with the lines and how long I left them intact. I think for the most part mine reach full height at about 14-24 months and continue to fill out and have coat and muscle development changes for quite a while.

Members online