Best Food for small dogs?

ssbon

Hello. I have a 3 year old 10 pound male chihuahua and a 9 month old 4 pound female chihuahua. I am currently feeding them eukanuba dog food but was wondering what would be the best cheap food I can get them at the local petstore? Is lamb and rice better than chicken and beef ? My 3 year old male chihuahua has some weird spot on his head and sometimes he gets black bumbs and his hair has fallen off on that part of his head. I took him to 2 different vets since neither of them could find a cause for that. They just said the only thing they can think of is food allergies. So what brand of dog dry food would be best for my small dogs? Thanks alot for your advice.

First, there is no such thing as good, cheap food. If you'll read this article I think you'll get a better understanding, not only of how to choose a food, but of why there are no good, cheap foods. http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/selecting_a_better_food.htm

Mordy also made a very good, informative post about how to determine what foods are causing problems for your dog in another recent thread in this forum. She was addressing a yeast problem, but the protocol is essentially the same for allergies. Plus, if your vet ruled out allergies, yeast or fungus could very well be your problem.

I agree with that. No good (healthy) dog food is cheap. My chihuahua has to have Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Anything else and he gets a upset tummy. He absolutely loves it. For a 18 pound bag I pay almost $20.00. It's definately worth it.

Saje

Island dweller
And think about the money you'll save in the future on Vet bills. Really.

Personally I don't like Eukanuba. Renee is right--you won't find a good food for cheap. But you feed less with a good food, and you'll get good results. If you're looking for small kibble size try Innova.

Members online

No members online now.