Meet the Goat Herd

Unlike with dogs, it is hard to sometimes tell what breeds are in a goat. There are are three catagories: Dairy,Meat and Fiber (Angora). The two types in my herd are Dairy and Meat. The breeds I know are mixed in are: Boar,Nubian,Pygmy, and possibly some Saanan.
Luvie RIP: Good tempered Dairy X who loved to rest her head in your lap while you rubbed her chin. Her sisters name is/was Dovie. She had Snickers four months before she was killed by a Bully breed dog.

Dovie: Goat who could hold a grudge forever. She was the polar opposite of Luvie, she would ram other goats, cats, dogs, and the donkey who protects them. She was just too aggressive so she had to go, sold her to a lady who missed having goats around.
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/QuantrillRaider_album/100_0422.jpg
Snickers: Luvie's daughter. The first thing she did after coming out, was to suckle on my pants. When she was smaller she used to sit in my lap and doze. First pic is her as a baby, second was taken two months ago and third is her strange sleeping position. (I kid you not, that is how she normally sleeps)

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/QuantrillRaider_album/20100105_128.jpg

Sonny: Pygmy buck we got at a feed store. Grew up to be a beutiful gold and black buck.Was a donkey in a goats body, stubborn as heck and bossed the does around. Had great confirmation, got him at the feed store since the local pygmy breeder had too many males and didn't want to cull him. Sold him on Saturday along with Belle and her baby, to a man wanting to start a herd. First pic is him as an adolescent, second is him last month.

Belle: Got her from the lady we got Luvie and Duvie from. I swear you could her the wind whistle threw her ears. That head had to be empty. The only goat that would just stare at you when you opened the gate to let her out to graze. She is now with Sonny at her new home. First pic adolescent, second in Nov.

Mishka: Got her from the same lady as the others. She is the new herd nanny since Luvie's death. She is a strange creature. She kinda looks like the flying nun with those ears. She also is a mode of transportation for the babies, think surfing.

Wyatt RIP: Gorgeous buck who loved to take care of the babies when the mommas weren't paying attention to them. When it was time for them to go out and graze, if one stayed in and cried he would go to it and gently nudge it out. Sadly he became paralyzed by a deer worm(Meningeal worm and we had to put him to sleep since he would never walk again and I could not watch him starve to death.

Briar: A little deer like goat we got with Wyatt. They were like brother and sister to each other. They always nested together. She is a really dainty goat who loves to nible alfalfa cubes while you hold them. She is the mother of Bunny.

Bunny: Briar's little girl. She is a very curious and cute doeling. She was born in January 2010.
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/QuantrillRaider_album/20100121_11.jpg

Amber

So cute! I want a goat(s)! lol I wouldn't know the first thing about caring for them, though. I'm a city girl lol

Females are called Does or Nannies, intact males are Bucks or Billies, and neutered ones are called Wethers. I would not get a buck unless you are planning on breeding, some can be aggressive during rut, all will pee on their beards and make this sound:YouTube - Re: The Talking Goat Says Whaaaaaat!! , they also "blubber" when they are near a doe in heat. Does are a good choice, but when they are in heat they can get pretty loud, so it's best to get a wether. Does can get pregnant at any time of the year and they can have up to 4 or 5 kids at a time, maiden does usually have one and the next will be twins or triplets. The gestation period is five months. Unlike dogs, there is no goat overpopulation, since they make good tacos:cool:,in Mexico it's called Cabrito. If you want an extremely friendly and dog like goat, you should look into getting a bottle baby. Most dairy operations will take the babies away from the moms so they can get the milk, the babies are feed a colostrum supplement or actual colostrum taken from the does. Goats will need to be dewormed, hooves trimed, etc. I don't give them lots of shots since they are not show/market goats and never leave the property. You will need a good fence though, bored goats do like to wander. You must also make sure they are getting enough roughage and thiamine (vitamin B) in their diet or they could get an illness known as "Goat Polio".
If your city alows you to have goats, I would suggest a pygmy or Nigerian Dwarf. If you want meat get a Boar or Kiko, milk or cheese get a Saanan or a Toggenburg, fiber get an Angora. (The breeds I listed are the most common ones in the US).

Some goat colors:
Black

Brown

Cream

Belted

Black and Tan

Agouti

Buckskin

Chamoisee

Schwartzal

Members online

No members online now.