disc golfing pointers?

tucksmom

So it will be a while before we are ready for a third dog, but dh really wants one that can sorta play disc golf with. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the sport, but its sorta like golf, with discs....

He would especially be thrilled with a dog that could point to his disks and not necessarily mouth them or retrieve them. He often spends a good amount of time rummaging through the weeds trying to find lost discs on his own. So far his favorite is the German shorthaired pointer. Do you all have any suggestions on breeds that would be a good fit for this kind of work?

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
..I'm not entirely sure but I'm guessing any pointer assuming you can teach them to point at things other than birds?

tucksmom

..I'm not entirely sure but I'm guessing any pointer assuming you can teach them to point at things other than birds?
Yea I mentioned that to him but aparently they are dogs that are pretty well known on his disc golf forums and groups for pointing out and finding hidden disks. I imagine it takes some training-but either way I'm still open to suggestions.

I am not really familiar with the hunting breeds especially, I've just started looking into them more so I was hoping people might have experience or might have a breed that they thought would be great for something like this-maybe even if it's not a pointer?

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I own a Vizsla so if you have any questions, I can answer them! I will say they need a LOT of time spent with them so buyer beware ahahah

tucksmom

I am interested in them! I was going to bring them up to him today :) I have watched a couple videos about them but still don't know much. They are hunting/pointing dogs aren't they? Any special needs or things you would want someone to know? Do you think they would enjoy chasing disks? I know, that is kind of a silly question.

I have always been interested in doing sports with dogs but haven't started anything with the two we have yet, I am interested in agility. Any sports you would recommend? Our dogs are like our kids so we do almost everything with them :)

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Umm ..I just wrote a huge response and then my internet ate it. So that's fun. Here's the short version:

Yup, they are gun dogs!
They have crazy energy (Penn did 30 minutes agility+ 1hr hike+ 20 minutes fetch). They have separation anxiety (crate!). A gundog will never have the speed& handler focus on course that a Border Collie has but they do compete& they tend to Q more often because that is a byproduct of not lightning fast speed ahah! Also, they would definitely chase a disc, I'm not sure whether they would point it, as such but I know she would retrieve it for you!
As for sports, Penn does agility& has her first field test this weekend. She also will probably do rally in the near future because I'm a sucker for punishment. They learn super quickly& only want to please but if you don't take the time to train them, they will do whatever behaviors they find rewarding ..which is mostly barking, ruining things& generally being a psycho :)

BONUS BRAG- How awesome is my girl? This was her at 12 months!
[YOUTUBE]tm_ht0JLYbM[/YOUTUBE]

Members online

No members online now.