Sadly have to rehome Daisy :(

MissMosaic

Sibe Crazy
Hey everyone..

I wished it never had to come to this, but now we have to rehome Daisy, out APBT. She is just wayy to fearful of our child, and I cannot get her comoftrable with him. I Socialized her during my whole pregnancy, taking her out to dog parks, for tonz of walks in very public areas.. And doing that did help a little, but she still doesnt trust children, or babies. She is actually extremely fearful of babies for some reason. And We just cant take the risk that Daisy may Fight vs Flight when our sons starts to crawl..

I have already contacted Hugabull in Vancouver BC, they dont take in rescues. And I contacted top dog kennels in Kelowna BC, and they wont take her in either because she is a liability to them if she does bite a child..

So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. She needs a home with NO children, and possibly low traffic volume of people coming in and out...

She is 3 years old, white with brinlde spots, spayed, basic training, loves to snuggle under the covers, shes kennel trained, house trained, good on a leash, NO cats, and NO kids.. . She is sumwhat aloof with strangers, but she warms up after a few days.. (yes is can take a while but she does eventually warm up).

And advise would be great.. or inquiries..

Here are some pics of our sweet Daisy girl..

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I am really sorry that you have to get rid of Daisy.

Unfortunately, I am not qualified to help you, but I WILL say that it is extremely uncharacteristic for an APBT to be not only bad with children, but wary of people in general. That might also be why some rescues/shelters may be a little hesitant to help you, possibly.

Have you had her since puppyhood? Or did you adopt her?
Aren't APBTs banned over there?

RD

Are you dead yet?
APBTs aren't banned in BC.

I wish I could offer you help, but I'm not involved in the APBT community. I can, however, wish you and Daisy the best of luck. I'm sorry it's come to this.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Sorry, I get confused on where they are banned in different places!

I can PM you a link to a site where there are pit bull people from all over. Someone may be able to help you.

MissMosaic

Sibe Crazy
I am really sorry that you have to get rid of Daisy.

Unfortunately, I am not qualified to help you, but I WILL say that it is extremely uncharacteristic for an APBT to be not only bad with children, but wary of people in general. That might also be why some rescues/shelters may be a little hesitant to help you, possibly.

Have you had her since puppyhood? Or did you adopt her?
Aren't APBTs banned over there?
I have to agree, I have never met another pitty like her before. They are all so friendly and happy-go-lucky dogs.. Great with people. I really dont know why she is, the way she is... My boyfriend has had her since she was 5 weeks (She left her parents WAYYY to young). My boyfriend got her from a friend when she was that young, because apparently his girlfriend wouldn't let him keep her, fearing she may attack their mini poodle when she got older :mad:..
So yeah she ended up going home with my boyfriend, and has been with him ever since.

She has never been abused.. So I have no idea why she is like this.. I have spoken to a behaviourist and she said that is sounds like Daisy got these issues from her parents, maybe passed down thro bad genetics.. My boyfriend never met her parents, so I can only assume they were guard dogs or somthing. :(

Paige

Let it be
What part of BC do you live in? I may know of someone who would be interested. If not right away I'd be more then happy to help you find her a home.

I live In Kelowna BC.
Where about does your friend live?

Maybe pm me with more info!!. Thanks sooooo much for offering to help :)..
I am so stressed out because of this.. I feel just horrible..

*repost a reply to a pm I sent earlier*..

I dont want to surrender her to a shelter/rescue.. Because, I want to get to know the people/person I rehome Daisy to.. They have to be a very specific type of person.. Loving, patient, Shows good leadership role, Firm training tech, will take the time to get Daisy used to them (by coming over EVERYDAY till she is). I don't want to send her home right when she meets the person, I think that would hike her anxiety level thro the roof.. It's better if the person comes to our home, and gets to know her like that before going home.. Ya know?

It's so hard, because most people who meet her, are going to think she is way to sketchy .. I just know it . She takes at least week for her to trust people.

Paige

Let it be
I live in Vancouver. The person I had in mind lives here too but I know a lot of people in Kelowna who are big doggy lovers. Two who are currently looking to add a dog to their home. I'll talk to them and see how their search is going seeing as I haven't had contact with them in a little while.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I know this is extremely hard for you. I can only imagine how hard it is.
But, please, do not rehome Daisy on your own. Fearful pit bulls are not a common thing. This is not proper temperament for an APBT. I don't want you to think I'm being harsh. I am not trying to be, as I said, I can only imagine how difficult this is. But at the same time, a fearful pit bull is not a dog that should land in the hands of an inexperienced owner of the breed. Please keep trying the rescue route. A pit bull rescue is going to have a better knowledge on how to temperament test Daisy to deem her safe or unsafe to be rehomed. I know you don't want to go that route. But it's the safest and best route for all involved. I know you want to be close to whomever takes Daisy, but the reality is, rehoming a fearful pit bull, on your own, is most likely going to result in an outcome you would never want to see.

Rescues have connections to trainers and behaviorists that can work with Daisy. They have the resources to deem Daisy safe enough to go to a home with another human.
Please, please reconsider trying to rehome Daisy on your own.

I'm going to PM you with the link to a place where you can get help/advice from other pit bull owners. A LOT of Canadian rescues post at this place and it'll be closer to help than you are now. I hesitated PMing you the link before, because I wasn't sure if you wanted it.

Members online