Zip Tie

SaraB

Got new pictures of the boy today! We also got descriptions of the puppies' temperaments between last week and this week. My friend who is importing with us is still waiting to hear which puppy will be the best fit for her between the four girls and it's so nerve wrecking!

I also wanted to clear something up, maybe explain myself a bit. It may look as though we picked Zip when he was born and yes, in a way we did. When I first contacted his breeder about this breeding, I made it very clear what I was looking for in a puppy. If we hope to make any sort of breeding program work in the United States, it's clear that we need more solids to breed merles to. That is of course if we wanted to stay clear of merle x merle breedings. So yes, the importation of this puppy was contingent on his color. However, I had also explained at the very beginning that because our lines are going to be coming from this puppy, that his temperament was actually the first priority. I absolutely do not want to bring in a dog that is lacking confidence or drive. Linds and I took a lot of time talking to various people who have had experience with the dam herself and her lines as we already knew about the sire' lines.

That whole backstory has led up to this. Zip Tie's temperament is awesome. He is the definition of a velcro puppy, following the breeder around everywhere, she's constantly tripping on him. He is the ringleader when the puppies get into shenanigans and is the first one to check out scary situations. He also has great toy drive already. I am beyond thrilled hearing this. However, this doesn't mean he will ever be bred. If he gets here and his temperament is less than stellar or his health testing is less than impressive, he will not be bred.

This is a tricky thing and that's why I wanted to take the time to explain it. Ideally, we would've picked Didgie and Zinga with a solid requirement in mind, however we worked with the best we could in that situation and ended up with two awesome dogs. I was always told by breeders that I've respected that if you want to start a line of dogs, find the best bitch you can and go from there. I'm confident to say that Zinga and Didgie both fit that requirement in my mind.

Anyways, onto puppy pictures!! (all taken by the breeder of course)
I love his smile.

ziptie by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Crouchy puppy

Ziptie1 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

puppies1 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

puppies by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Here are some shots of the girls in the litter:
Disgruntled puppy

p41 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

My hope is that my friend gets this one, not only because she's gorgeous but because she has an awesome temperament as well.

p6 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

p5 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

p4 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

p3 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

I love Zip Tie. For some unknown reason, black and white dogs have really grown on me recently. But I love, love, love his markings and his expression. He looks like he will be an awesome addition for you guys

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
AHHHH he's growing up so sweet already. What a smile. The littermates are pretty freaking adorable too!

Your explanation makes sense, and it's good to hear that his temperament is turning out to be what you guys want! Under your tutelage he's going to become an (even more) awesome dog.

This was likely asked before, but do we know the person importing with you? If not, will they be coerced to join Chaz? Maybe? :p

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
He's adorable! It's great that he's turning into the dog you want him to be. :) I know that I picked Cali out at birth (mainly since her breeder doesn't choose the puppy for the buyer), and she turned out great.

You and Linds seem to be doing all the right things when it comes to getting started in the breeding world. If I ever decide a Koolie is for me, I'd know where to look.

SaraB

Ahhh I want puppy 4... Any room in that crate for a Tagalong??

Is the other solid a female?
Hahahaha, the tagalong spot is already occupied. Yup, the other solid is a female. I kept trying to convince my friend that she should get her, but she doesn't have the drive she's looking for.

This was likely asked before, but do we know the person importing with you? If not, will they be coerced to join Chaz? Maybe? :p
Most people in the disc dog world know her. I don't think she'll be joining chaz, but I'm sure there will be lots of pics/videos I can share as she grows up! I'm expecting great things out of whichever puppy she gets.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Cute! Looks like they have some great kid socialization already as well!

I appreciate the clarification about how Zip was picked - it seemed so out of character for you guys to go with color before temperaments were known. I was curious as well how structure will fit into the equation since the pups are still really too young to eval for that. I know a number of agility people pick based on structure, then temperament, though it does mean waiting much longer to figure out which pup will be the best fit.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Most people in the disc dog world know her. I don't think she'll be joining chaz, but I'm sure there will be lots of pics/videos I can share as she grows up! I'm expecting great things out of whichever puppy she gets.
I'll accept photo updates. :D

Kilter

The other thing to keep in mind (besides cute puppy!!!!) with breeding is that frozen and fresh extended from boys you like, wherever they are, is always an option and getting better all the time with success rates. Yesterday I helped deliver a litter of nine pups, the sire has been dead for quite a few years, and he was collected at ten. The vet said the best is a live breeding, but the other options are almost as good depending on everything.

SaraB

Cute! Looks like they have some great kid socialization already as well!

I appreciate the clarification about how Zip was picked - it seemed so out of character for you guys to go with color before temperaments were known. I was curious as well how structure will fit into the equation since the pups are still really too young to eval for that. I know a number of agility people pick based on structure, then temperament, though it does mean waiting much longer to figure out which pup will be the best fit.
Ya, Zip was picked by default. However, like I said before, it was never a final, sure thing until I heard about his temperament. Money still hasn't been exchanged, however I'm much more confident he will be coming here now.

That's what my friend is waiting for, stacked pics when they are 7-8 weeks old. In disc, we like a shorter back as dogs with long backs tend to drag toes rather than jump for the disc. She's also hoping for a smaller female.

And of course structure will be important for Zip as well as far as the final decision to breed him or not. However, there is no written standard for koolies so we are looking for things that will help them be a good worker. Enough angulation in the front and rear but not excessive, shorter backs, strong hocks (a fault that Zinga has now and I'm hoping will be remedied by Zip Tie), and good muscle definition.

SaraB

The other thing to keep in mind (besides cute puppy!!!!) with breeding is that frozen and fresh extended from boys you like, wherever they are, is always an option and getting better all the time with success rates. Yesterday I helped deliver a litter of nine pups, the sire has been dead for quite a few years, and he was collected at ten. The vet said the best is a live breeding, but the other options are almost as good depending on everything.
Very true! This is an option we looked into to some depth. The problem is that I feel strongly about only breeding from health tested lines. There are no koolie studs that have health testing anywhere right now. Also, it costs the same if not more to import semen than an actual puppy that I can health test and personally know before breeding. Not that a higher price tag will ever stop us in the future from using a stud that will benefit our lines.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Oh I know there's not a standard - I was talking more about the basic structure that makes for sound working and/or agility dogs. Shoulder angulation and such can make such a huge difference in performance and I know you have high hopes for him.

SaraB

Oh I know there's not a standard - I was talking more about the basic structure that makes for sound working and/or agility dogs. Shoulder angulation and such can make such a huge difference in performance and I know you have high hopes for him.
So ya, that's the stuff we are looking at.

My husband is taking the ropes on this guy. I have my hands full with the merle girls. He's hoping to at least disc and dabble in herding. I'm trying to convince him to do dock diving as well, but we'll see! As long as he gets titles in disc and herding instinct tests well, I'm happy.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Can you repost (you did didn't you?) the parents photos? Any structural shots of them? Or you can PM if it's a distraction, I'm just curious. They're adorable babies. Too bad the solid female isn't drivey enough. :/

FG167

What a cutie that boy is! I looked pretty seriously into a couple of solid Koolie males before I got Limit :) They sure are striking!

Ditto to everything Sara said

There is this difficult line we're currently walking. Everyone and their mother knows that when I got Didgie I was hoping for a solid female. But in addition to that I had a time frame, certain breeding and importing with someone else to consider. Stupid dogs then don't cooperate, only two females were born, both merle, added onto Sara and I pretty much looking for the exact same thing in a dog.

Honestly, if we was going into this for mainly breeding purposes we would have picked a breeding pair, proven to work and work well, brought them over, health checked and used that to start. But I wasn't just getting a dog for breeding, I was getting a pet/sport prospect/evil ringleader, not just a uterus.

Luckily, both Didgie and Zinga turned out to be exactly what we wanted for our sport and pet goals even if they made breeding goals a little more complicated. Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's too bad Didgie and Zinga are sisters, merle and female because they compliment eachother very well.

But, like Sara said a lot of thought went into picking parents and research/people were spoken to. Both last time and this time around even if it seems like we were (and we are) in a sense just picking based on color or gender. As it is breeding any of these dogs isn't set in stone since they are all too young say for certain.

Also, on the subject of having semen shipped. It's still a viable option later one. I've spoken to a couple people who would be willing to get their dogs health tested and are open to the idea of shipping it over. Nothing of course worked out, but we've been feeling around so hopefully one day that might be an option.

ETA: I also just wanted to say that I personally and I'm pretty sure the same goes for Sara, have NO issue with you guys asking questions about why we did things the way we did them or anything else. I have no problems being questioned or answering questions, so if you have them just ask, I'm not going to take it personally. I much prefer outright questions to wonderings behind the scenes.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Maybe it's just because I've become so accustomed to seeing the 3 koolies on here, but I seriously think that the koolies on this forum are way better looking then all the other ones I see. Even relatives of the 3 here.

Zip Tie better not disappoint, that's all I have to say. :p

I can't wait to meet him! Frodo says he can.

Maybe it's just because I've become so accustomed to seeing the 3 koolies on here, but I seriously think that the koolies on this forum are way better looking then all the other ones I see. Even relatives of the 3 here.

Zip Tie better not disappoint, that's all I have to say. :p

I can't wait to meet him! Frodo says he can.
Hey now! Don't forget Rue! I think Rue is pretty freaking great looking too :p Nina just needs to post more to remind you of that.

Members online