HELP!!! College Homework (Ethics)

champagne

This is Nicole....Cheryl's (champagne) daughter. She said you guys could help me out!!

Okay, I had to do some study questions ...and I've got them all done but one. So I need some help!! I'm stumped...I guess I haven't heard enough stories!! Here's the question...

Consider the multicultural challenge of storytelling. Do you remember any story that has enhanced your understanding of another culture? Do you remember any story from your own culture that expresses a moral you find unacceptable? Do you know any story from another culture whose moral you find unacceptable? Is it possible to find some common ground? Explain.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

W

Whitedobelover

Nicole... that is a great question iim also in ethics and that questions isnt to terribly hard... so ill see if i can help you out... but sorta hard here on the forum... give a few minutes ill see if can come up with something.

As far as a story that's enhanced my understanding of another culture . . . well, that would be every one I've ever read, lol! And I've read quite a few!

I can't think of any off the top of my head that expressed something I found unacceptable, but I think that's largely because I tend to try to step out of myself and try to look at things from a perspective other than my own. Folk tales also tend to have very basic and universal human precepts, rather than presenting convoluted, sophisticated philosphies, and I've found that human beings are basically very much alike under the skin no matter where we are from.

champagne

Thank you for your reply!! It was the hardest question out of them all...I used bits and pieces of things to put something together. I ended up using the Cinderella story for one example and the Milkmaid for another.

I think you'd get a lot out of a book called Women Who Run With Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. She does a lot of work with folk tales and their relevance to our lives. I keep going back to it and picking up different chapters. I also keep giving my copies away to friends, lol!

Saje

Island dweller
champagne said:
Consider the multicultural challenge of storytelling. Do you remember any story that has enhanced your understanding of another culture? Do you remember any story from your own culture that expresses a moral you find unacceptable? Do you know any story from another culture whose moral you find unacceptable? Is it possible to find some common ground? Explain.
Understanding of another culture.... well the story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes has always stuck with me. But Renee's right, there are so, so many. It's more about what you do with the story than finding one.

Here's a list of some classic stories that you can browse through and see if anything stands out. http://hca.gilead.org.il/#list

Good luck!

W

Whitedobelover

you know i know alot of middle eastern stoies that helped me understand the cultural as well as their religions... and just say how it impacted you such as it taught me to read and try to understand before casting judgement on people i know nothing about except what the news has told me.

and i have come to a greater feeling of love towards those people that get profiled for stuff they are not doing but others are doing and it is indirectly coming back on them...

champagne

Thanks Everyone!! Those websites helped out alot. I didn't realize that there were soooo many stories, ones I never even thought of. I was having problems finding any good sites. The Hans Christian Anderson site had many to choose from.

I'll get a good grade now!! Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.