what to feed a giant breed puppy (RAW diet)

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
hi. what raw food would you feed a giant puppy? not in general terms, i mean like if anyone here has had any experience or knows anything about the topic, what did you feed?

please be detailed with weights etc if you can.

thanks!

puppy meaning from when s/he first arrives up to say, a year or something.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
you feed raw food the same way to any size or breed of dog, the only thing that differs are the amounts. puppies and adults are also fed the same foods, only in different amounts.

for adults the rule of thumb is 2-3% of the (ideal) body weight per day, or 15-20% per week.

puppies are fed either 10% of their current body weight or 2-3% of their projected adult weight per day.

these amounts are not absolute values and you will have to adjust depending on the condition the dog is in - if he's too thin, feed more, if he's gaining too much weight, reduce the amount you feed.

i highly recommend buying a few good books on feeding raw, it's not rocket science to feed your dog, but there are a few things you need to be aware of.

i recommend

* "raw meaty bones" by dr. tom lonsdale,
* "natural nutrition for dogs and cats" by kymythy schulze
(she's a newfoundland breeder, so she knows giant breeds)
* "k9 kitchen your dog's diet" by monica segal

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
its going to be a bernese mountain dog sirius.

thats for the help mordy.

another thing....

the calcium to p something ratio should be 1:1 or 2:1. what i am planning to do is feed a dry food,and added to that some meat.

ok so say i feed the dry food, a little less so that im not feeding too much with the meat aswell. i feed the dry, and then add say 500 grams of chicken breast, should i add one egg to equal out the calcium? are there any guidelines for working out the amount of calcium to p something?

thanks.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Puppy said:
its going to be a bernese mountain dog sirius.

ok so say i feed the dry food, a little less so that im not feeding too much with the meat aswell. i feed the dry, and then add say 500 grams of chicken breast, should i add one egg to equal out the calcium? are there any guidelines for working out the amount of calcium to p something?

thanks.
Well, aren't berners large breed? Anyway, a little tip, add some water to the dry food, makes it easier to chew.

As for the calcium, I would ask a vet after you get your puppy. Just feed berner the dry food, until you ask the vet, because maybe your berner has some special needs, or whatever. And, your vet can probably give you the exact amount of egg and chicken breast anyway, so that its all balanced out.

Better safe then sorry.

-Laurr

Mordy

Quigleyfied
most vets are not specifically trained in nutritional matters, so asking them for help is mostly a moot point.

the calcium/phosphorus ratio of the food should be between 1:1 and 2:1, which means it doesn't matter if it is 1.6:1 one day and 1:2 the next, as long as you don't exceed 2:1 long term.

how much calcium you need to supplement depends on the calcium reserve of the dry food, which can vary drasticly from brand to brand.

also, egg (without the shell) is not a source of calcium. you need to collect the egg shells, clean and dry them and then grind them into a fine powder.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
berneres can grow up to 28 inches and females 27, not including the head.
males weight up to 110 and females 105. yep there a giant breed.

just a few inches shorter than your breed.

right thanks mordy i know what to look for now.

Members online

No members online now.