Veggies/fruits that can be fed raw?

Are there any fruits or vegetables that can be fed raw as is without having them pureed/blended that's good for them?

Last edited:

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Vegetables, from what I have read CAN be fed raw, but it will just go in one end and come out the other. Dogs need is to 'open up' the cell walls of the vegetables (steaming and puree) so that they can digest and actually get nutrition out of them.

As for fruits, im not sure but our shih tzu was fed strawberries and watermelon whole (well not a WHOLE watermelon, but you get the point)

LizzieCollie said:
Vegetables, from what I have read CAN be fed raw, but it will just go in one end and come out the other. Dogs need is to 'open up' the cell walls of the vegetables (steaming and puree) so that they can digest and actually get nutrition out of them.

As for fruits, im not sure but our shih tzu was fed strawberries and watermelon whole (well not a WHOLE watermelon, but you get the point)
Thanks! Yes, I mean...well you know what I mean. Digestible. :D

smoore

LizzieCollie said:

Haha, that's a great visual.

I feed ALL sorts of veggies raw. It is great as a filler (if you want your dog to eat less chow). I feed my older dog lots of veggies because I don't want him to gain too much weight because he is a dachshund and they have back problems if they get to heavy, plus, he loves them.
http://www.petsdoc.com/html/askthevet/askthevetquestions/fruitsandvegetables.html

The BARF diet (which I do not feed) suggest feeding veggies and also says that dogs have been eating veggies (particularly leafy greens) for their whole evolution. http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_specific.shtml

The next site I am going to post talks about how some dogs do better than others with veggies but the same could be said for all sorts of things (as the article points out). http://www.petsage.com/art_nut.htm

Mordy, who many consider to be the one to ask when talking about pet nutrition on this site, advises feeding veggies. I'm sure she wouldn't mind a pm, or maybe she will see this and respond.

Anyway, my whole point is, it is perfectly fine to feed veggies and fruits. The amount you feed will depend on the size of your dog.

I did find sites that say not to feed veggies raw. However, most that I found were people talking about what they do rather then vets or experts talking about the subject.

Probably you should do your own research and decide who is more trustworthy.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It's fine to feed fruits and veggies in whole pieces as a snack, but since dogs don't have the capacity to break down plant cell walls, they only really get the nutritional benefit of raw fruits and veggies if they are either pureed or so overripe that those cells started breaking down on their own. Freezing also helps somewhat.

If you look at the dog's stool, it will become very obvious what's being digested and what isn't. :)

Members online

No members online now.