Nail Clippers?

patb

I've only used the first one and two of my dogs have really hard nails and it twisted them so I switched to the Dremel grinder and and use that now and only use the clipper on my dog with the thinner nails. :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
The second, scissor-type one is by far the best. The first one is called a guillotine style clipper, and the big problem with it is that when you apply pressure, the blade forces the nail up against that little loop, causing discomfort. With the second type, the pressure is coming from both sides, so it cuts through the nail more quickly and with less pressure and pain.

The dremel is the best, but if you can't do that then definitely use the scissors type clippers.

B33CPE

Definetly the second one IMO. I could never cut my dogs nails with the first, it would bend them or Just be to difficult to cut through the nail. I have used the second for years and it works great. Ther usually come with a safety guard too so you dont accidentally cut too much.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I've had better results with a Dremel than with either type of trimmer. :)

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Second ones are definatly the best. Also note, the bigger the better, even if your dog has little nails, the small sized ones can hurt. Keep them sharp too, you don't want the blades to dullen!

I switched to the Dremel grinder and and use that now and only use the clipper on my dog with the thinner nails.
The grinders are really great to, they won't split or hurt the dogs nails.

Charlie uses a kind like the one in the second pic, it is a large sized one and it has a guard or "stopper" so you don't cut the quick.:)

sarge

Just a pup
I have only used the first type and I thought it did not work well. It was my first time doing it so I only clipped very little but it seemed like the blade was dull and I had just bought it. I never have used the second one but it seems like it would work a lot better.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
I have tried both the first become dull quickly and apply tp much pressure to the nail the second on my pair has a gard so i dont cut to much and doesnt apply much pressure im going to get a dremmel once i get a job this summer because every one says they work the best and Duchess is afraid of the clipers

mojozen

bullie lover
I prefer the 2nd pair, although I do not clip my dog's nails anymore. I pay to have them done because my hands shake too much from medications. This way neither my dog nor I have to worry about me cutting his quick. I let someone else worry about that. ;)

I am thinking about getting a dremel... but my worry is with my shaky hands I could still hurt Mojo by accident.

Caroleg

I tried the Dremel sandpaper attachement, it was recommended on another list, but the sandpaper hardly makes a dent on my dogs nails. Do you guys use the stone grinder? I'm told that it heats up a lot and can burn the dogs nails.

Caroleg

Okay, I found the information on the Dremmel, but it's the same that I read previously. I'm going to try it again.

dobiegirl

Doggish.Obsession said:
Just wondering, which ones are better?

I didnt like the first one becuase whenever I used to cut my dog's nails, I had to apply a LOT of pressure. I've never used the second one.
i've have always used a dremil.it is least like likly to make the quicks bleed.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I've heard everyone recommend the Dremel - but my question is how do you use it without your pets freaking out? I think my dogs would end up harming themselves from the pulling and trying to get away. Also, exactly what is it that you use? My husband has a hand held Dremel, but what type of bit do you use? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Members online

No members online now.