Greenhouses?

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Does anyone here have a greenhouse? I'm considering building a small one in the next year to help support my gardening habit.

If you do - what do you like about your greenhouse and what do you hate about it?

These are some designs I'm considering although I'm not sure about materials as of yet.

Romy

Taxiderpy
My brother built one very much like the second design. There were a couple of things. One, the smaller the greenhouse, the larger the temperature fluctuations. Bigger ones stay more stable. He turns on a space heater at night in the winter to keep his the temperature he wants. Some of his stuff is super tropical though, depending what you want to grow that may not be necessary. Also, he uses grow lights in the winter because he doesn't get enough hours of daylight during Seattle winters for some of his plants.

The giant shed attached is awesome and handy though. He keeps a large year-round worm farm inside his along with all his tools and stuff.

Doberluv

I've always wanted a green house. Those pictured are really neat! I think my yard is too small. It would over-power the place. But it would be fun and so cool to get things growing earlier. If you build one, hope to see some photos. I think you'd have a blast with it. Good luck.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I do have growlights but mainly I'm looking for a lower electricity jump on the growing season and being able to germinate most of my plants from seed because the weather here SUCKS until June. So mainly I'd be only wanting to maintain heat to about 55-60 degrees at night which I think can be done fairly cheaply if I insulate the shed and install a fan to move hot air from the shed to the greenhouse. I bet I could even power it off the heat differential.

I am pretty firm about wanting the shed. I've been wanting to move my garden tools and supplies closer to the garden for a long time now and also lessen their impromptu use for other things (How many times do I need to tell people pruners are NOT scissors.)

Nope, none here. But, my mother is looking at possibly putting up a hoop-house next year, to maybe grow some things longer into the season.

Gypsydals

I'd love to have one. But the husband doesn't see the point in it, that or hes afraid to feed the addiction I have towards gardening. LOL

Members online

No members online now.