popular breeds that dont shed alot

duncan15

I should have been more specific. A LOT of short coated breeds dont shed much COMPARED to some other breeds. It depends on your description of "low shedding" is. To me, a lot of shorter coated breeds are low shedding compared to breeds with dense undercoats. I have had a chow and a min pin before... the min pin is low shedding compared to the chow. Thats how I see it.

It has to do with a dogs undercoat.

"low shedding" is about opinions, not facts.
first off, yeah, obviously a chow sheds more than a min pin (not rocket science). but we arent comparing dog breeds, we are answering which ones dont shed (which are very few and far between). just b/c your pit doesnt shed doesnt mean that the breed does not generally shed. goldens are also a breed that is a shedder, but i have met a few that didnt. doesnt mean that all goldens dont shed. and i have met many labs and pits and gs and mutts of different breeds who were all shorthaired, who can give a chow a run for its money in terms of shedding. also a lot of the times with these really short haired breeds (visla, pit, minpin, ets) people dont notice the shedding b/c the hairs are so short

low shedding is not about opinions, it is about the specific dog. you can tell me all day long your opinion of pits is that they dont shed b/c i have one that doesnt, therefore shorter haired breeds must not shed very much, and you would be very wrong, but very lucky to have a lowshedder when that isnt the norm for the breed.

truth for original poster. im not sure why you want a dog that doesnt shed. but i will say that if you have a problem with the hair, then really consider whether you want a dog, b/c dogs are hairy. like i already said, if you get a "non-shedding"dog you will probably be paying more for grooming (depending on the breed)

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
I found this
Hypoallergenic Dogs

Hypoallergenic dog breeds
Airedale Terrier
American Hairless Terrier
Basenji
Bedlington Terrier
Bergamasco
Bichon Frisé
Bolognese
Border Terrier
Bouvier des Flandres
Cairn Terrier
Chacy Ranior
Chinese Crested
Coton De Tulear
Fox Terrier (Wire)
Giant Schnauzer
Hairless Khala
Havanese
Irish Water Spaniel
Kerry Blue Terrier
Lagotto Romagnolo
Lhasa Apso
Löwchen
Maltese
Miniature Littlefield Sheepdog
Miniature Poodle
Miniature Schnauzer
Native American Indian Dog
Peruvian Inca Orchid
Portuguese Water Dog
Puli
Shih Tzu
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Spanish Water Dog
Standard Poodle
Standard Schnauzer
Tibetan Terrier
Toy Poodle
Welsh Terrier
West Highland White Terrier
Xoloitzcuintle
Yorkshire Terrier

S

Squishy22

first off, yeah, obviously a chow sheds more than a min pin (not rocket science). but we arent comparing dog breeds, we are answering which ones dont shed (which are very few and far between). just b/c your pit doesnt shed doesnt mean that the breed does not generally shed. goldens are also a breed that is a shedder, but i have met a few that didnt. doesnt mean that all goldens dont shed. and i have met many labs and pits and gs and mutts of different breeds who were all shorthaired, who can give a chow a run for its money in terms of shedding. also a lot of the times with these really short haired breeds (visla, pit, minpin, ets) people dont notice the shedding b/c the hairs are so short

low shedding is not about opinions, it is about the specific dog. you can tell me all day long your opinion of pits is that they dont shed b/c i have one that doesnt, therefore shorter haired breeds must not shed very much, and you would be very wrong, but very lucky to have a lowshedder when that isnt the norm for the breed.

truth for original poster. im not sure why you want a dog that doesnt shed. but i will say that if you have a problem with the hair, then really consider whether you want a dog, b/c dogs are hairy. like i already said, if you get a "non-shedding"dog you will probably be paying more for grooming (depending on the breed)
Wow. You don't have to be so rude. You seem offended by my own personal opinion.

Sorry, but you are wrong. She never asked for breeds that are non shedding. There is no such thing. She asked for breeds that are LOW shedding. You met a golden and pit that doesn't shed? That is not true since there is no such thing as non-shedding.

I dont think she should reconsider getting a dog. I cant stand heavy shedding. Thats why I have breeds that are lower shedding. To ME, my pit bull is lower shedding. Probably because I have experience with breeds that are heavy shedders. Its not that the short hairs are harder to find, its because breeds that have really short coats usually don't have much of an undercoat.

If she doesn't like any of the breeds who shed very little (wire haired and curly coats), then I suggest looking into breeds that dont have much of an undercoat and they tend to be the shorter coated breeds. This was my original point before I was attacked about it.

Dekka

Just try me..
Also what you feed has a big impact on how much your dog will shed. Crappy food makes for more dead nasty hair.

(reggin I would take a chow or a dog with undercoat any day over a dal.. a dal you can brush daily and still have a house full of hair..nasty barbed hair that weaves itself into all your fabrics...nasty stuff lol)

S

Squishy22

Also what you feed has a big impact on how much your dog will shed. Crappy food makes for more dead nasty hair.

(reggin I would take a chow or a dog with undercoat any day over a dal.. a dal you can brush daily and still have a house full of hair..nasty barbed hair that weaves itself into all your fabrics...nasty stuff lol)
I dont have experience with dalmations... they must have somewhat of a dense undercoat. did have a chow once. The fur was everywhere!! The dryer would get clogged up with it just from drying my clothes. I would find the fur stuck to dishes, lodged in the carpet, all over the yard, and even in the cereal boxes!! lol. It was pretty bad. I would take him out to brush him, but it did no good. Rotties shed quite a bit, but I would take even a rottie over a chow. Had one once before also. Whats sad is that the family pug sheds almost as much as my old chow :yikes:

ACooper

My friends Dalmation has a very similar coat to Orson's (doberman) not the color obviously.........and Orson definitely sheds. It is small black hair that is easy to clean up, but it's still everywhere, LOL

And yes, he eats good food.

I agree with you Reggin, Duncan is coming off very rude.......for what reason I cannot figure out :confused: :confused:

Greyhounds can have a variety of coat types. Some shed more than others. The white dogs tend to shed noticeably more. Wally isn't too bad of a shedder and when he does shed the hair is so fine that it's not a big deal. Same with Teeny. They get bathed and brushed regularly and it keeps the shedding to a minimum.

The funniest thing is my co-worker and her husband, who own two labs, are looking for a third dog. Her husband refuses to look at any of the longer coated breeds because he doesn't want to deal with shedding. Now, we have a Greyhound, a Pomeranian, an Aussie and an Aussie/ACD mix in the office at work with nary a stray hair. When my co-worker brings her lab in we have to sweep the office at least twice during the day! But, of course, her husband won't listen to us. Longer hair means more shedding. Riiiiiiiiiight . . .

S

Squishy22

Greyhounds can have a variety of coat types. Some shed more than others. The white dogs tend to shed noticeably more. Wally isn't too bad of a shedder and when he does shed the hair is so fine that it's not a big deal. Same with Teeny. They get bathed and brushed regularly and it keeps the shedding to a minimum.

The funniest thing is my co-worker and her husband, who own two labs, are looking for a third dog. Her husband refuses to look at any of the longer coated breeds because he doesn't want to deal with shedding. Now, we have a Greyhound, a Pomeranian, an Aussie and an Aussie/ACD mix in the office at work with nary a stray hair. When my co-worker brings her lab in we have to sweep the office at least twice during the day! But, of course, her husband won't listen to us. Longer hair means more shedding. Riiiiiiiiiight . . .
I dont consider labs to have short hair. Well, atleast not the type of short hair I was referring too. I meant short hair as in pitties, min pins, basenjis, dachshunds (sp?), german short hair pointers, etc. Labs have fur similar to pugs. They have a dense undercoat.

houndlove

coonhound crazy
I have two different coat types going (Conrad has a thick double coat, but short hair, Marlowe is a single coat, even shorter hair) and they both shed like woah. Marlowe does not shed as much since he only has a single coat but his hairs are just insidious--they cling to everything! Conrad's hair is more fluffy, it's the kind that forms itself into hair tumbleweeds that roll around in all the corners and hide out under all the furniture. Marlowe's just clings to all the furniture and rugs and just hangs on tenaciously.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
*cough* EVERY breed sheds... reglardless..

the bichons,poodles,shih tzus, llasas, maltese, schauzers etc.. shed, but their coat sort of "collects" their shed fur.. which causes matting.

THOSE breeds NEED almost daily grooming so they DONT tangle.

/todays lesson

lol

Members online