Healthy & Shots up to date
~25 lbs

Snugee
~6 year old pure Pug
Female
Spayed
Healthy & Shots up to date
~25 lbs

My two dogs have always gotten along GREAT, in fact I can never recall a fight until recently. They have lived together since Snugee was a puppy and I got Asta as a puppy as well. Both are pretty well trained, snugee is a bit more stubborn and hyper though when responding to sit and stay commands.

About two months ago my estranged wife moved out of the house. About the same time the two dogs suddenly started fighting very violently and very unpredictably.

It's like they're perfect friends one second and then tearing each others throats out a second later with no provocation that I can see.

The only trend that I can see is that they only do it around myself or one of my houseguests....never when they're locked outside or when I'm not home. I've been bitten a couple of times on the hand trying to break them up..nothing serious though...and this morning (while I was asleep in bed) they fought again on top of me, Snugee cutting Astas front pad. This is the first time they have drawn blood on each other.

The fighting is very unpredictable, not over food, possessions, or attention that I can see. Sometimes they fight multiple times a day, sometimes they'll go a week or more as perfect buddies.

I'm lost for ideas and wanted to see if anybody here had any advice before I call the vet.

Thank you!

Mike

I"m not sure what is causing it, but I know when 2 of mine started acting like this we constantly broke it up and someone once told me to let them go and stop interferring, well as hard as it was I actually did that and the fights are far and few between now. I know Creature Teacher will have some great suggestions for you.

It sounds like they're having some problems adjusting to your ex not being there anymore. They're unsettled and sense the tension and change, just like kids would. It's going to take some adjustment for them, extra attention to BOTH from you. When they fight, try shutting them in separate rooms, letting them know you're displeased by your tone of voice and manner. Be brusque and all business. Let them sit in solitary for 15 minutes or so.

showpug

Sounds like they consider you a "resource" now and they are both fighting for your companionship now that there is just one human lap to sit on. I would ask the dog trainers what to do about it, I am sure you can fix it. Good luck. I am a pug person and mine fight on occasion too, it is usually over a toy or food etc. You may want to try letting them go, but I, like you break mine up too. I don't want anyone getting hurt. You may want to try D.A.P. Comfort Zone. It is a dog appeasing pheramone and you plug it into your wall. It helps with stress from environment change, territorialness, and problems that can arise in multi dog house holds. You should be able to find it at pet supply stores or online. Please keep in mind that it is no a "fix all" but does seem to really help. :)

Members online

No members online now.