SAJE..RENEE....chicken question..

Debi

(or anyone else that can help) I'm heading out to our little market to buy some chicken for the pups. they never have much of a selection...probably only cut up fryers or legs. How much do you give them at a feeding?? And (this is gonna sound so stupid of me I know) do you just hand them each a leg and let them 'have at it'? lol obviously, I've not given them chicken before...I want them to have the bones and all. a leg for Ham doesn't seem like a big deal...but it sounds like something Addie will mull over half the day. just not sure of amounts per day. THANKS OH...is it better to get backs and necks??

I've been giving mine leg quarters - to much drooling and gnashing of teeth, lol! If it's their meal for the day, I shoot for about two - two and a half pounds of food for the girls; Bimmer won't eat much more than a pound or pound and a half.

Darn, I don't know where the cookbook is :p. But (if I'm remembering correctly :rolleyes: ) they get about two chicken wings each and maybe a neck or two.

Debi

I gave Ham 2 wings, and Addie 1. Soooo funny, Addie just wasn't sure at first...sort of just dropped it and stared at it for awhile. Ham....all I heard was crunching...then I saw him smile. LOL It wasn't their dinner, just an added treat to the day. Thanks again!!

Mollydog

I personally remove the bones from chicken. While beef is a soild bone chicken tends to splinter and that could land you in the vets office with a bone splinter in your babies throat. My sisters dog had this happen last year, was not fun for her lab. On the other hand my friend has let her english crested have chicken bones for years with no issue.

If the bone is raw, it's OK to feed, because it doesn't splinter. If it's cooked, it will splinter and you shouldn't feed it to your dog.

Saje

Island dweller
You should feed about 2 % of their body weight. The math is really easy for Mav since he's always right around 100lbs so I give him about 2 lbs of food give or take. And I do just hand it to them. They had thighs last night! They kind of chew it for awhile and you can hear the bones breaking then they eat it.

bubbatd

I love you all, but personally I stay away from any chicken bones. I can't afford to take the chance.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, my dogs have caught birds before and would eat them in the wild so I really don't see it as a major concern.

Today they are getting fish.

Grammy, I can understand your concern. Saje and I don't worry so much because our dogs have these HUMONGOUS grinders. The girls could easily crush a human leg. Even Bimmer's teeth are oversized - you can see the wolf in him when you look in that mouth. One of these days I've got to get some photos of those open maws, lol!

Members online

No members online now.