temporary relief for allergies...

MEG126

hey everybody... haven't been on here in a looong time... but i had a quick question. my mom called the vet the other day because my golden, penny, seems to be itchy a lot and she thought that maybe the frontline we've been using hadn't been as effective as usual. the vet said no to my mom's thought, but asked if she'd been licking and scratching a lot (and she has) and the vet said she might have allergies so now we have an appt. on friday. my mom gave penny some benedroyl to help, is that a good idea until we get some meds (if needed) or anything else you know of? she still likes to play and it doesn't seem to be effecting her energy level... should we just hold off and see what the vet says? i don't want to be giving her unnecessary meds if it turns out to not be allergies-- just wondering what y'all think-- thanks

MEG126

and i also just saw that other thread about allergies, but she's not losing hair or anything... felt kind of dumb starting this after i saw that... :p

Give her as little as possible, just when she seems to start scratching a lot - not every four hours continuously - until you can get her to the vet. When you do, try your best to avoid prednisone or any kind of steroid treatment. We're just now beginning to acknowledge that there is an unusual incidence of tumors in animals treated with it. Up until now it's been the magic bullet for any kind of allergies and itchy skin.

MEG126

yea after i posted this thread, i saw the other one addressing allergies, so i went through it and made notes of things to avoid and things that can help... y'all are such a great source of info!

we haven't been giving her much, just some in the morning...

thanks again

J

JamesPeterson

MEG126 said:
and i also just saw that other thread about allergies, but she's not losing hair or anything... felt kind of dumb starting this after i saw that... :p
You may want to try using the "SEARCH" button at the top of the page. That way the next time you have to ask a question that has been answered like 1,000,000 times you will be able to get it rather then cluttering up this page. Please refrane from just throwing out any question that pops in your mind. Some people say "There are no stupid questions" Thats not me.

I might remind you JamesPeterson that you are not an administrator nor a moderator and should never speak to any member in such a decinding tone. Any member is very welcome to ask any question anytime. If we need to move it to the appropriate forum, we will decide that.

With dogs, there isn't any stupid questions. I haven't met anyone yet who knows all there is to know about dogs.

Chazhound

You know, Meg, Penny could very well have developed an allergic reaction to flea bites. I'm guessing that you've said the Frontline isn't working as well because you've seen some fleas on her. Get some shampoo with the active ingredient Neem, an organic agent that's death on fleas but very benign to mammals. See if she stops scratching and itching as much, and you could very well have your answer.

Whatever you do, try to avoid having her treated with Prednisone or another steroid. It's considered a 'magic bullet' for all sorts of allergies and skin afflictions, but it is finally becoming all too obvious that it can cause tumors.

MEG126

ok, thanks - she goes to the vet tomorrow and i'll make sure my mom specifically asks about those meds with steriods- that is if she ends up needing any. i'll be looking for a shampoo with neem in it as well.

i used to taken part in a horse forum, very similar to chazhound, but after receiving some very rude and crude remarks from people, i discontinued my use of it. then i found chazhound and thought, wow this is great, everybody is so nice. well, i guess that doesn't include everybody. thanks, chazhound, for sticking up for me. that's one thing i really don't like about these forums, you never know who you're talking to. to everybody else, thanks for providing such great advice, etc., i've really enjoyed talking with y'all and it's over all been a good experience for me.

Members online

No members online now.