Getting my puppy to walk with me

drazhar

Hi All,

I am having a little issue with my pup, Chewie. I had another thread on here that is completely resolved by the way, but this one is getting frustrating.

Any time my girlfriend and i (we live together) walk Chewie, she goes no problem at all, and has really been getting into it. i hold the lead when we go walking

However Chewie refuses to walk with just me. She is being very very resistant. I have tried the letting her lead, but she doesnt go far at all before sitting down. I have tried the giving her lead a quick tug in the direction to walk and start walking but she drags behind, and eventually just sits down.

We generally walk her when we get home from work, and it is dark (but getting brighter, come on summer!!)

Any advice at all would be most appreciated.

On a side note, she is running away from her harness and her lead of late. Actually making for corners and things. We are always acting like walks and the word "walk" is the best thing ever, and reward her with praise and a treat when we get the harness and lead on her, but she isnt taking to it. The thing is, once its on, and the two of us are heading out, she is grand with it.

drazhar

She is three months old

This has been happening for about a week now, up until then she was fine getting the harness and the lead on her, and we only would bring her out of our yard and a quick (5 minute) walk around the surrounding houses, so she could get used to the other dogs, the noises and the smells and the like.

now, she have never been very good for walking with one person, would just sit down and stuff, but i recently started letting her lead completely, letting her smell around, but she still would not go further that the end of the next door neighbours garden (like 30 metres)

However in the last week she is now running away from the harness and the lead (hiding under the table). We are reluctant to reward her for putting on the harness and then putting on the lead, preferring to reward her when we get back from the walk, we dont want to fall into the path of indulging her

When we do get the harness and lead on her, if the two of us are going, then she will walk no problem, lots of sniffing and stopping, but a small tug on the lead is all she needs and she is trotting away in between the two of us.

I personally think she might be a bit young for it, her behaviour reminds me of her trying to stay in the centre of the "pack" for protection. However anytime we meet people or other dogs she goes mad to play with them.

I know she is young, but i just dont want us falling into bad habits, so rather than getting fixed on a particular course of action ourselves, i decided to defer to the greater experience of you all! </shameless-plug> :)

lizzybeth727

We are reluctant to reward her for putting on the harness and then putting on the lead, preferring to reward her when we get back from the walk, we dont want to fall into the path of indulging her
Ok, you should reward your dog whenever she does a good behavior. Of course. Also, you should reward as quickly as possible to her doing the good behavior, so that she understands what she's getting rewarded for. If you're clicker training, you don't have to worry so much about this as long as your click is at the right time, but you still need to give the treat within a few seconds of the right behavior.

My point is - if you reward her after you come home, she's learning that walking into the house is a good behavior and will get her a treat. She is not at all learning that putting on the harness and leash, walking nicely with you, and being friendly to neighborhood dogs is getting her a treat. She's already forgotten all about this.

What I would do is this - with the harness and leash out of sight, call your dog to you. When she comes, give her several small treats (about the size of a pea), and lots of praise for coming to you. Practice this many many times a day (at least 10). Then when you need to go for a walk, call her to you, treat/praise, and while treating pull the harness out and quickly put it on her. When she's calm and has the harness on, go back to praising, and give her treats for staying with you, sitting, eye contact, whatever. Do the same with the leash (or better yet, at least at first, hook the leash to the harness before you put the harness on her, it'll be quicker). Carry lots of treats with you on your walk, and give her one whenever she's walking nicely with you, you can reward every few steps at first, and space out the rewards as she gets better. If she lags behind, talk to her to coax her to you, then give her a treat when she takes a step or two with you again. Talk to her and praise her constantly if she's walking nicely, this will help her gain confidence.

R

RedyreRottweilers

1) when it is time to walk, get the dog, and then get the harness. Give very tasty treats both before you put the harness on, and after. Attach the lead before you let go of her.

2) use lots of treats, toys, and encouragement during the walk.

LizzyBeth's advice is also excellent.

bma_mat

I find that being very very pacient is the key. You have to show your dog that walks are enjoyable. The reward comments were very good above me, so I find no need to add onto anything. Just try and make walks as enjoyable for her as possible. that way, she will want to walk.

Members online