mini aussies?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
What are Mini Aussies and How can I learn more about them . I see so much info out there , I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of some good info.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
thats what i am doing right now. it seems to be the legitest org of the three.

it seems convaluted and i am leary , but my mom is newly in love with them and i am trying to get some info.

does anyone here know any in real life?

CaliTerp07

does anyone here know any in real life?
I know several, but they're all rescues doing agility. My perspective is biased because a) they're with super dog savvy owners and b) I only see the ones who managed to make it to trials.

The ones I know are super active, drivey little dogs. I want one.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
i am actually trying to talk her out of one at all , and that will help. she is all about the looks and not the dog underneath.

hmm , i did not even think of rescues , i will check into them also .

Aleron

I really like Mini Aussies but it depends on her wants/needs in a dog. What is your mom looking for?

DJEtzel

I trial and train with a gal that has two. They're very drivey and a little too barky for my liking. Need grooming of course. A little sensitive.

Sekah

The Monster.
I know quite a few mini Aussies. I would say that the majority of them have some pretty serious temperamental flaws (I know of 2-3 who won't hesitate to bite a person, and 1-2 who are nervous to a fault). I think that in breeding for the size a lot of breeders did not pay due attention to their temperaments, making the breed a bit of a crap shoot.

That said, I know of some really awesome minis too (most from the same breeder). Without fail, they seem universally loud with the most piercing bark I've ever heard. I would probably consider owning one at some point, but it would be from carefully considered lines.

Aleron

I know quite a few mini Aussies. I would say that the majority of them have some pretty serious temperamental flaws (I know of 2-3 who won't hesitate to bite a person, and 1-2 who are nervous to a fault). I think that in breeding for the size a lot of breeders did not pay due attention to their temperaments, making the breed a bit of a crap shoot.
To be fair, those things are not uncommon temperament issues in Aussies either. I can't say I've run into more weird/sketchy Mini Aussies than I have Aussies. I really don't think they're a crap shoot any more than any puppy is. I think like any other breed, you go to a reputable breeder who has dogs who's temperaments you like.

Aleron

a companion and bum around dog , no sports or anything. she has a dorkie mix she totes around now and wants a friend for him.
Maybe a rescue or breeder rehome? That way she will have a better idea if the dog will suit her lifestyle?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
thats what i am trying to steer her towards a known adult . maybe an older pup or retired breeder . or even a rehome. there house has the dorkie and 3 cats , no little kids or anything like that. so skittish temperments , while not ideal is something that can be worked with.

i just dont want her to plunk down big bucks on something she regrets.

thanks for the help . i think it will just come down to fate with her. last time she wanted a pup the dorkie was plopped into her lap , maybe this time will be the same.lol

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
i have met an equal number of FANTASTIC mini aussies, and NEUROTIC mini aussies. seems to be really hit or miss, but maybe depended on the breeder. when theyre good, theyre AMAZING. so happy, so confident, bouncy, drivey, willing to do anything, super sweet, like a papillon with more pizazz!

Romy

Taxiderpy
There was a fantastic mini aussie in Strider's ob class named Darby. He was more stable than the standard aussies I have met. He was totally a happy hyper dork. EXTREMELY active. He had an elderly owner who was hoping for a lap dog and ended up with an impulsive little spaz. lol. She did end up getting his TDI certification after a few tries (he had a hard time with the 5 minute down stay)

He loved every dog, loved every person. She loved him to death but said that if she had known he was going to be so hyper she wouldn't have gotten him. He was out of a smaller aussie bitch that was just within the standard, and a mini dad.

I agree with everyone else that says adult rescue, or find a specific breeder you like.

noludoru

Bored Now.
i am actually trying to talk her out of one at all , and that will help. she is all about the looks and not the dog underneath.

hmm , i did not even think of rescues , i will check into them also .
If you're trying to convince her out of it, go to www.dooce.com and make your mom read every single post about Coco, her neurotic spazz of a Mini Aussie. Just sit her down at the computer, open them all up in tabs, and be like: "HERE. HERE IS THE HELL YOU SHALL ENDURE."

To be fair, it sounds like Coco was marketed to her as a gentle, quiet, low-energy, non-drivey dog; and is probably from a BYB. I don't think Dooce is the most dog-savvy owner out there, and she had very different expectations.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
i have met an equal number of FANTASTIC mini aussies, and NEUROTIC mini aussies. seems to be really hit or miss, but maybe depended on the breeder. when theyre good, theyre AMAZING. so happy, so confident, bouncy, drivey, willing to do anything, super sweet, like a papillon with more pizazz!
I agree with this. One of my favorite dogs EVER was a gorgeous, dreamboat of a Mini Aussie with a mane like a lion named Jesse... he was from a great breeder that shows & titles all of her dogs and they actually look like smaller Aussies. I practically raised him, as he came to daycare where I worked daily, and he was just spectacular in every way!

Working at the same daycare, I met more fearful, spastic Mini Aussies who were the size of large Chihuahuas... with domed heads and bug eyes. DEFINITELY mixes! I used to foster for an Aussie/BC rescue and they would routinely get in dozens of Mini Aussies from puppy mill busts. Those dogs were all very small, painfully shy and very obviously mixed. Breeders with tiny dogs, like 12" or less, are a huge red flag!

I used to want a Mini Aussie but the breed is too controversial for my taste. Unless I could get a puppy from Jesse's breeder. ;) I'd opt for a smaller Aussie. Many working breeders have smaller dogs, show Aussies tend to be bigger. I've met quite a few working Aussies who were 18" or less.

Grab

A vet I work with has a Miniature American Shepherd puppy. Keeping in mind that she's a puppy still (5 months or so) she's a pleasant little thing. They're a family who has an Aussie, though, and has had Aussies in the past. And they have 'hang around with the kids and horses' dogs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I agree with this. One of my favorite dogs EVER was a gorgeous, dreamboat of a Mini Aussie with a mane like a lion named Jesse... he was from a great breeder that shows & titles all of her dogs and they actually look like smaller Aussies. I practically raised him, as he came to daycare where I worked daily, and he was just spectacular in every way!

Working at the same daycare, I met more fearful, spastic Mini Aussies who were the size of large Chihuahuas... with domed heads and bug eyes. DEFINITELY mixes! I used to foster for an Aussie/BC rescue and they would routinely get in dozens of Mini Aussies from puppy mill busts. Those dogs were all very small, painfully shy and very obviously mixed. Breeders with tiny dogs, like 12" or less, are a huge red flag!

I used to want a Mini Aussie but the breed is too controversial for my taste. Unless I could get a puppy from Jesse's breeder. ;) I'd opt for a smaller Aussie. Many working breeders have smaller dogs, show Aussies tend to be bigger. I've met quite a few working Aussies who were 18" or less.
The smaller mix breed ones are technically "toy" aussies, and yes they are a train wreck. A mini aussie, or North American Shepherd, should descend only from aussie stock that has been bred down in size.

Aleron

I skimmed the blog about Coco and all I found was that she loves her flying squirrel, chewed up a broom, likes to watch out the window for stuff to happen, sheds and eats poop. She appears to be good with kids and other dogs and her family. I guess I'm missing where she's a neurotic spazz?

The smaller mix breed ones are technically "toy" aussies, and yes they are a train wreck. A mini aussie, or North American Shepherd, should descend only from aussie stock that has been bred down in size.
Actually that's not entirely true. Mini Aussie have been around since the 70s and the original ones were generally smaller than today's MinI Aussies - more in the toy Aussie range. Mini Aussies have a different foundation than Aussies but were crossed with Aussies to make more Aussie looking/acting dogs. The toy Aussies you see today resemble some of these early Mini Aussies bred by Travis.

These dogs are behind all Mini Aussies:

Members online

No members online now.