Puppy Won't Eat Dog Food

I'm having real trouble getting my 5 month old Bichon Frise to eat anything. When we got him, he was on dry but he refused to eat that. After talking to the vet we moved him to wet which he ate for a week or so and now he's refusing that.

The only thing he will eat is cat food. I know this has too much protein and stuff for a dog but he hadn't eaten for a week before today. He's happily scoffed down a sachet of cat food and is carrying his bowl around wanting more.

We've tried all kinds of brands but he hates the dog stuff so much he'd rather starve :confused:

Any ideas what we could do seeing as we can't really afford a proper meat diet for him.

Practically all the ones in the shop (note i'm in the UK so we've probably got different brands over here)
The last one we tried is Puppys Bakers Complete. Ermmm Wag, Science Plan (I think that's what it's called) plus the shops own brands. He will eat biscuits but only in a treat form as in a couple at a time. he won't eat them as a meal.

The wet food we give him is called pedigree puppy, it's the only wet puppy food i've seen.

Herschel

Our puppy was picky for a while, too. Have you washed his bowl after every feeding? Have you tried giving him his food in a different place?

How much does the dog weigh? Dogs won't starve themselves--have you tried holding out for a day or two until the dog realizes that he needs to eat?

Each time you change the food to try to get him to eat you are just reinforcing his pickiness.

I'm not that familiar with UK foods, but have you tried Burns?

I've not heard of Burns. I will have a look for it.

As i said, we held out for a week and he didn't eat any of his food so we gave in and gave him some cat food which he scoffed down in about 10 seconds lol.

He also does weird things like bring in some of his food and hides it in the sofas :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.