The Venting Thread

Geeze what a jerk he is being, I would call him out on it but not aggressively at first, just in case he doesn't realize what he is doing is hurting you, it could be that he just isn't aware.

Separate vent why to cyclists always bitch about how rude motorists are? Though it may be true, I have seen a great many cyclists running red lights / stop signs, not yielding to traffic when they should. Newsflash bike riders ... maybe motorists are pisses at you because YOU are the one being the jerk?
I agree with looking into telling him...guys are often REALLY clueless with pregnancy

The second part...well, some states bikes are allowed to go through red lights if they have a clear path. By and large car drivers are asshats to bicyclist. My husband rides his to work often and has gotten almost run off the rode, yelled at, honked at, etc I dont know how often literally for just riding his bike. God forbid he try and make a left turn, people flip out because they audacity of a bicycle making them wait!! (not even taking into account if he was in a car they would still be waiting for him to turn left).

Most bicyclist I talk will sometimes run red lights etc which, while not ok, usually its because they are just trying to get out of the way of asshat drivers. Are there some asshat bicyclists? Of course!!!! But yeah, WAY more asshat motorists.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I guess it depends on the laws where you live, because here bikes have to obey all the traffic laws like cars and motorcycles do, but they dont. I would rather wait for a bike obeying traffic laws than deal with one tho thinks the law doesn't apply to him.

GipsyQueen

I guess it depends on the laws where you live, because here bikes have to obey all the traffic laws like cars and motorcycles do, but they dont. I would rather wait for a bike obeying traffic laws than deal with one tho thinks the law doesn't apply to him.

I run red lights on my bike (esp in T-Junctions). Not because I am being rude, but because I don't want to make motorists wait for me to start up again. Mind you I only run the a red light if it is a none-dangerous situation for myself.
Oftentimes bikes have seperate trafficlights than pedestrians and motorists here. :)

You might rather wait but most motorists probably dont...or at least they are more vocal about it. I can tell you if I was getting yelled and honked at on a almost daily basis I would probably run them too...not saying its right but does it really affect you if a bike crosses when its safe? It used to annoy me too but then I realized it was silly for me to care about it unless they were doing other jerky behaviors its not bothering me.

Again, I am sensitive about this because my husband does ride. It amazes me the crap he has to put up with on almost every ride, even getting chased with a knife once (which really that was just punk kids thinking they were cool...dont think they were actually planning on hurting him and DH didnt actually really feel threatened, he rode around in circles trying to keep them chasing while the cops were on the way but they got away)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Lol most cyclists I see here have MPLAYER ear phones in so I doubt they are paying attention to the yelling anyway ... but here I don't see people yelling at bikes for following traffic laws, I see them getting yelled at for being rude, though.

Again, this might depend on area.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I agree with looking into telling him...guys are often REALLY clueless with pregnancy .
^ This. When I mentioned to DH about him missing out on all of the ultrasounds and pregnancy stuff if I get pregnant before he deploys he was like, "So...? The only reason I'd go anyway would be if you asked me to." He really has no desire to see any of it. "Baby's heart beat? Who cares, I already know it's in there."

That being said...still sounds like a situation that warrants a vent. (((hugs))) Hope the tests are all good.

*blackrose

Also, insurance and monies. ARGH!

I'm getting so pissed off and frustrated.

My car was stolen *last month*. I *still* have not gotten my freaking loan paid off. I am *still* paying f-ing insurance on a TOTALED CAR because these freaking idiots haven't gotten it processed appropriately and submitted to the branch that handles our generic insurance.

If I'm going to be out an extra $500 at the end of this month because of the fact they can't get **** done, I'm going to go off on someone.

That being said...still sounds like a situation that warrants a vent. (((hugs))) Hope the tests are all good.
DEFINITELY! I almost didnt say anything because it can be really annoying I know when you just want to vent and then people come on with advice...but thought in this case it was worth pointing out just in case it helps

People in cars follow all traffic laws at all times, right?

There is no speeding, rolling through stop signs, speeding up for yellows, or running red lights. I've never had to wait on a green for the people running the left turn light's red. I've also never seen a car parked in a bike lane or fail to signal before cutting off a cyclist.

People are so used to these "small" violations that they don't even see them, but then a person on a bike does something and everyone notices. Most people realize they do not have 2 tons of metal and 10 airbags on a bike. Most of them intend to stay alive. Occasionally, someone is clueless and does something really dangerous, but at least they're mostly a danger to themselves.

There is no speeding, rolling through stop signs, speeding up for yellows, or running red lights. I've never had to wait on a green for the people running the left turn light's red. I've also never seen a car parked in a bike lane or fail to signal before cutting off a cyclist.

People are so used to these "small" violations that they don't even see them, but then a person on a bike does something and everyone notices. Most people realize they do not have 2 tons of metal and 10 airbags on a bike. Most of them intend to stay alive. Occasionally, someone is clueless and does something really dangerous, but at least they're mostly a danger to themselves.
Ok, yeah that....said what I was meaning so much clearer

GipsyQueen

Yup, this.

Like if I have the choice of (safely) running a red light, as opposed to waiting at the redlight while a huge truck pulls up next to me and can't really see me... you can be darn sure that if I can safely run the red light, that I WILL.

Seriously though, there are so many motorists unaware of bikers it can be a real danger. I got hit by a car once - on my bike - while waiting on a red light because the guy backed up into me and didn't realize what happened until the guy in back of me started honking. My waving and yelling didn't do anything. Now I always pull up to the front of the line. :eek:

I'll sit at red lights. Portland's green bike boxes on the bike routes are nice for that, you pull to the front and get in front of the cars. Of course once I did have a lady come flying around me, stop in the bike box, then do a right on red (which is prohibited from behind the bike boxes). Big trucks are an issue, but I'll normally out accelerate them anyway. Or just stop right in the middle of the lane. Most people wont run you over if you're there, it would scratch their paint!

Every year though they do a stop sign sting at Ladds Circle. Its a traffic circle, on a bike route, except they have stop signs... While there is some concern for pedestrians, the sightlines aren't bad, and there have been no major accidents, injuries, or fatalities there while that can't be said of many other places in town. If anything, they should do a pedestrian crossing sting, no one is blindly riding out in front of a car (to their own death).

Picklepaige

I am so angry. I have ordered THREE chargers (all different sellers/brands) for my laptop, all of which say they are compatible with the model I have, and NONE of them have fit. How can they be compatible when the charger doesn't even fit into the port!?

Red.Apricot

My dad's in the hospital right now and I really could use some support from my best friend, but every time I reach out to him he shoots me down. I feel very unloved.

And now I'm irrationally angry that he 'liked' my status about my dad on facebook--if you can't be bothered to TEXT ME BACK (within 48 hours, even) don't pretend you care publicly.

Jerkoff.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Ever so slightly annoyed with the fact that I can never trust anyone. Ever. Never ever ever. WTF is even the point of trying to trust someone and be there for them if they're just going to be another fake? I am honestly just sick of it.

I'd love to say that I've lost my best friend... but I never actually had one. He was just a silhouette of a real friend. Darn shame, because if he'd have been real with me from the very beginning... it would never have had to end like this. I'd have still been there for him like I was the entire time we had been friends.

At least at the end of the day, I still know I'm me and I don't need an illusion to hide behind to have friends. I may not be a people person, but I'm scared not to show people who I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hl_NBTMELo

teacuptiger

floor dancer
My dad's in the hospital right now and I really could use some support from my best friend, but every time I reach out to him he shoots me down. I feel very unloved.

And now I'm irrationally angry that he 'liked' my status about my dad on facebook--if you can't be bothered to TEXT ME BACK (within 48 hours, even) don't pretend you care publicly.

Jerkoff.
*hugs* I'm sorry about your friend, and I hope your dad is alright!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!

Jerkoff.
That exact thing is the reason I don't really let to many people get too close, I have many many "aquaintences" but only like ... two or three really close friends who I can confide in.

I am sorry you are going through this, I hope things improve, I really do.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Ever so slightly annoyed with the fact that I can never trust anyone. Ever. Never ever ever. WTF is even the point of trying to trust someone and be there for them if they're just going to be another fake? I am honestly just sick of it.

I'd love to say that I've lost my best friend... but I never actually had one. He was just a silhouette of a real friend. Darn shame, because if he'd have been real with me from the very beginning... it would never have had to end like this. I'd have still been there for him like I was the entire time we had been friends.

At least at the end of the day, I still know I'm me and I don't need an illusion to hide behind to have friends. I may not be a people person, but I'm scared not to show people who I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hl_NBTMELo
:(

Your post resonated with me because although I try to have friendships, if almost never works out. I have many aquaintences but few friends for this reason.

(((((((Hugs)))))))))) to you and I am sorry for the loss of your friendship.

*blackrose

My evening at work, after an insane day and no break.

Me: "Do you want to take care of in house patients, or finish cleaning?"
"I'll clean. You've done it the past three days."
"Okay."
*walks, feeds, cleans cages of five dogs*
"Okay, what still needs done?"
"Tables need cleaned, trash needs done, sweeping, mopping, laundry."
[So basically...all of the cleaning. You've done....the dishes. That's it.]

Oh my god.

Members online

No members online now.