Rhodesian Ridgbacks or suggestions

Danefied

I have fostered a Boerboel. I like them, but if I am going with a mastiff, I'll take a Dogo with a Presa being my next choice. My biggest issue so far with the RR is I find many of them ugly. I just don't like the way they a big majority of them look. Some I do like, but many just like redbone mix to me or some hound mutt at the pound. I'm afraid I would end up with an ugly one! Sounds silly, but it what I'm thinking right now after looking at lots of websites about them!
Really? I don't see that at all... The ridge for one, but I just don't see generic hound in a rhodesian. *shrug*

Really? I don't see that at all... The ridge for one, but I just don't see generic hound in a rhodesian. *shrug*

Not all have Ridges and I'm speaking mainly of the head/face. I do not like the light colored ones at all nor the ones with liver colored noses. I like the darker red w/ dark muzzle/mask and black nose. But after more researching I don't think I want one.

grayada1

I have a 4 year old RR and he is the best dog I could imagine.

You say the one you met barked at you and wouldnt come anywhere near you and that is exactly what mine does. He may not be the norm, but i dont think it is completely uncommon either. He is very aloof with strangers, men are alot worse. Typically a strang women he will keep an eye on and keep his distance but doesnt bark much, but a strange man he will keep his distance and bark whenever he moves to fast.

Strange men are by far the biggest problem for him. It takes him forever to trust someone but when he does they could do anything to him. I am sure i could have done some things differently to improve his confidence and I probably should have looked longer at different breeders, but I have accepted that this is how he is and I know how to deal with it and I try to make sure he is as comfortable as he can be in the situations he has to be in.

It sounds like they would really fit you needs physically and with the right breeder and work they might be able to fit your personality requirements too, but that would be my biggest concern.

My sister has a brother to my dog and he is more confident and accepts people alot faster than mine dog does so maybe mine is just a less confident and trusting dog. They are amazing dogs and they love they have for THEIR people is amazing.

There seems to be alot of breeders looking for much better temperments than my dog so if you decide to go with a RR meet alot of different breeders before you decide.

Good luck.

Heres my boy on the right:

This is my friends vicious killer trying to kill one of my ladies. he's a freakin ham that's for sure.

IMG_3696 by zendogbuddha, on Flickr

But how could you not love a face like this

IMG_3845 by zendogbuddha, on Flickr

He's a nice dog. Good temperament. Not really fearful, is confident in new situations. Haven't noticed any DA with him. But he is around that 2 year mark so it may change some, but so far haven't noticed any real signs that would show DA.

He gets along great with the neighbors 4 dogs and he absolutely loves my two. It's funny, when we come over, he knows they're in the van outside and he completely ignores everybody and runs from window, to window to door, to door until we let him out and then he runs right to the van. He's done that since the after the very first time we visited. Amazing how he made that connection between us and the dogs almost immediately.

He is a big strong boy though and likes to protest when he doesn't want to do something. I make him do stuff for me before I let him have access to playing with my ladies, and he doesn't like it :) He tries everything he can think of to avoid me for a while then verbally protests then complies. it's kind of funny and I'm so mean, but we all survive. he doesn't so much for me anymore, he's smart and picked it up quickly, but I don't think his owners are quite as consistent as I am. But they are first time dog owners and have done a pretty good job so far and are always looking to learn more and do better.

I have to commend my friends, they actually took my advice when looking for a dog. Most people don't, friends included, but they contacted many breeders and went and visited and found a place with dogs they liked and got one from there. He's been what they wanted, amazing :) .

A nice evenly tempered dog, from healthy parents, active like they wanted, smart etc. I don't have a lot of exposure to RR's, but i have to say if he's representative of the breed, I'd like to have one.

Danefied

This is my friends vicious killer trying to kill one of my ladies. he's a freakin ham that's for sure.

IMG_3696 by zendogbuddha, on Flickr

But how could you not love a face like this

IMG_3845 by zendogbuddha, on Flickr

He's a nice dog. Good temperament. Not really fearful, is confident in new situations. Haven't noticed any DA with him. But he is around that 2 year mark so it may change some, but so far haven't noticed any real signs that would show DA.

He gets along great with the neighbors 4 dogs and he absolutely loves my two. It's funny, when we come over, he knows they're in the van outside and he completely ignores everybody and runs from window, to window to door, to door until we let him out and then he runs right to the van. He's done that since the after the very first time we visited. Amazing how he made that connection between us and the dogs almost immediately.

He is a big strong boy though and likes to protest when he doesn't want to do something. I make him do stuff for me before I let him have access to playing with my ladies, and he doesn't like it :) He tries everything he can think of to avoid me for a while then verbally protests then complies. it's kind of funny and I'm so mean, but we all survive. he doesn't so much for me anymore, he's smart and picked it up quickly, but I don't think his owners are quite as consistent as I am. But they are first time dog owners and have done a pretty good job so far and are always looking to learn more and do better.

I have to commend my friends, they actually took my advice when looking for a dog. Most people don't, friends included, but they contacted many breeders and went and visited and found a place with dogs they liked and got one from there. He's been what they wanted, amazing :) .

A nice evenly tempered dog, from healthy parents, active like they wanted, smart etc. I don't have a lot of exposure to RR's, but i have to say if he's representative of the breed, I'd like to have one.
LOL the bolded sounds JUST like a ridgie! As well as the part about so quickly associating you with the dogs. These dogs are super smart. That's exactly the sort of self-serving, self-reinforcing stuff they figure out annoyingly quickly and once they have it, it's locked in.

I meant to add, they have a major sense of humor too.
We had an in-ground pool growing up, and our ridgie on more than one occasion nose-pushed my mom in to the pool when she bent over to check the filter. He knew exactly what he was doing, and he just got a chuckle out of pushing her in.
Our house was rented, and the landlord had a maintenance guy who would come check on things periodically. This guy was terrified of our ridgeback, and Simba (named before the disney movie) used to torture him mercilessly. Simba knew this guy's van, and wouldn't bark at the gate. He'd wait for the guy to come in, close the gate and start walking up to the house. Then he would sneak up on him and bark - just once, then saunter off. I really think he got a kick out of seeing the guy jump and startle.

My friend's ridgie girl has the same mischievous streak. Clever dogs...

Maybe I just haven't been around the "right" ones, but I don't really consider RRs a DA breed. For sure they're not the most tolerant. Most are going to correct rude or stupid behavior, but they're not over the top about it. And most can more than take care of themselves if a fight does break out, but once they make their point they're done.

LOVE the pics RTH. Gorgeous guy!

I have a 4 year old RR and he is the best dog I could imagine.

You say the one you met barked at you and wouldnt come anywhere near you and that is exactly what mine does. He may not be the norm, but i dont think it is completely uncommon either. He is very aloof with strangers, men are alot worse. Typically a strang women he will keep an eye on and keep his distance but doesnt bark much, but a strange man he will keep his distance and bark whenever he moves to fast.
See that behavior it totally unacceptable to me. I don't want a dog that fawns all over someone as I find the equally as bad, but not a dog that won't approach a friendly visitor that I invite in. And to bark at someone I invite it would not fly at all.

Went to the beach today and there was Rhodesian there. He was ok, but it helped confirm not the dog for me.

Here he is with my Dogo and Greyhound, just snapped a quick picture as we were leaving. They actually found the dog a few years ago and no one ever claimed him.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
See that behavior it totally unacceptable to me. I don't want a dog that fawns all over someone as I find the equally as bad, but not a dog that won't approach a friendly visitor that I invite in. And to bark at someone I invite it would not fly at all.

See to me that is acceptable, except for the barking part, as long as its with in the breed standard. Eg if one of the beagles was avoiding strangers we would have a problem, but if one of the dobermans was avoiding a stranger I wouldn't care as long as its in a non aggressive way. If the breed is supposed to be aloof then they should be.

See to me that is acceptable, except for the barking part, as long as its with in the breed standard. Eg if one of the beagles was avoiding strangers we would have a problem, but if one of the dobermans was avoiding a stranger I wouldn't care as long as its in a non aggressive way. If the breed is supposed to be aloof then they should be.
That is why I said not the breed for me b/c that behavior is not acceptable. I don't mind a dog that doesn't want to be petted, but I don't want one to shy away when people come over. I have had over 50 Dobes through my house and none of them every shied away from anyone. If anything, they sat between me and the person to keep an eye on them, but never went out of their way to avoid them and If I said someone could pet them, they sat still and allowed it.

I like my Dogos. They protective, but if I invite a guest in, the are more than happy to welcome them and they shy away from NOTHING.

Cardiparty

A friend of mine has a Rhody boy who had some fear issues as a puppy, but is becoming more solid as an adult with alot of socialization.

She's had to learn how to get around his odd temperament, but they're learing and growing together which is the most important thing.

He's really soft when it comes to learning new things and shuts down easily. But, when he *wants* to learn, he does so very quickly. He's a bit dominant and rough with other dogs. He is also one of those dogs that won't hesitate to meet force with force; a friend grabbed his collar once as his harness malfunctioned and almost came away with a bite.

He's not what I'd call biddable. lol

Flyinsbt

They aren't, I think, regarded as a biddable breed, but I know RR's who compete in advanced obedience and agility. I don't regard them as a DA breed, maybe a few of them are selective, but most I know are amiable with other dogs.

Good clean fun:

All bitches but the flat one:

Jorga doesn't care if Pirate wants to kiss her mom.

(Jorga is formally known as CH MACH3 Mwen-Yezi Pistol Packin Mama JC XF CGC, btw, so biddable really is entirely possible)

The standard says they are aloof with strangers, and of the RRs I know, some are. I also know some that are quite friendly with strangers. I don't know any that I'd consider shy or fearful. They do seem fairly soft in a dog trainers sense, but I think that is typical of sighthounds. And of course, my Staffords are soft, so I think of it as normal.

Maybe my experiences are just slanted by the fact that all the RR's I currently know are agility dogs.

(eta: there are 2 different RR's in the photos, the playing one is Kavu)

They aren't, I think, regarded as a biddable breed, but I know RR's who compete in advanced obedience and agility. I don't regard them as a DA breed, maybe a few of them are selective, but most I know are amiable with other dogs.

Good clean fun:

All bitches but the flat one:

Jorga doesn't care if Pirate wants to kiss her mom.

(Jorga is formally known as CH MACH3 Mwen-Yezi Pistol Packin Mama JC XF CGC, btw, so biddable really is entirely possible)

The standard says they are aloof with strangers, and of the RRs I know, some are. I also know some that are quite friendly with strangers. I don't know any that I'd consider shy or fearful. They do seem fairly soft in a dog trainers sense, but I think that is typical of sighthounds. And of course, my Staffords are soft, so I think of it as normal.

Maybe my experiences are just slanted by the fact that all the RR's I currently know are agility dogs.

(eta: there are 2 different RR's in the photos, the playing one is Kavu)
She is pretty. I like her coloring, like the one I saw at the beach yesterday. I would probably consider one in rescue if the particular adult dog fit my needs, but I wouldn't take a chance on a puppy nor pay any real money for one. If I am spending my hard earned money it would be on a Dogo or Doberman. Those are the only 2 breeds I would ever consider spending money one. Everything else I like, I am open too in rescue. Got my Frenchie for $70 from a kill shelter and I could spend $2000 and not find a better Frenchie for me than the one I got. Granted I spent $1000 to get him healthy, but he was well worth it!

As for being handler soft, I just can not deal with a real soft dog. That is one flaw I find in the Amstaffs that I also love. My Amstaff girl was a great all around dogs, but so soft when it came to me. I let my roommate of 4 yrs take her when she moved out. She got along better with her than I did. My Greyhounds are not soft, while some can be, I have found many are pretty hard, those are the ones I keep. Ronon is the only dog that would probably bite me if I pushed him hard enough. He doesn't take any **** and will glare at me like I have 3 heads if I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do. Ripley the Amstaff would roll over and give me her belly if I even raised by voice and crawl and cower like she had been beat. Ronon could give a rats ass what I want! It is all about him. Stubborn, hardhead, opinionated asshole is what he is and I love that. We get along great for the most part until we butt heads. But I like a challenge sometimes, just not all the time. He will follow me to the ends of the earth though. He is my dog and anyone can see that. He is my shadow.

Biddable is not that important to me. If it was, I surely wouldn't have Greyhounds, Dogos, JRTs, Frenchie and a Boston Terrier.

Flyinsbt

As for being handler soft, I just can not deal with a real soft dog. That is one flaw I find in the Amstaffs that I also love. My Amstaff girl was a great all around dogs, but so soft when it came to me. I let my roommate of 4 yrs take her when she moved out. She got along better with her than I did. My Greyhounds are not soft, while some can be, I have found many are pretty hard, those are the ones I keep. Ronon is the only dog that would probably bite me if I pushed him hard enough. He doesn't take any **** and will glare at me like I have 3 heads if I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do. Ripley the Amstaff would roll over and give me her belly if I even raised by voice and crawl and cower like she had been beat. Ronon could give a rats ass what I want! It is all about him. Stubborn, hardhead, opinionated asshole is what he is and I love that. We get along great for the most part until we butt heads. But I like a challenge sometimes, just not all the time. He will follow me to the ends of the earth though. He is my dog and anyone can see that. He is my shadow.
By "soft" I don't mean sensitive or cowering, I mean "soft" in the dog trainer's sense, that they respond a lot to correction, or perceived correction. So the ones I know in agility, the handlers generally have to learn to go with what the dogs give them on course, because if they start redoing obstacles, the dog slows way down and can't make course time. Mine are like that too.

It may not be what you want, but that's what they are.

(oh, and in these photos, the RR that is playing is one of the puppies from the photos that you didn't like. The RR that is lying down is a different dog. Same owner.)

By "soft" I don't mean sensitive or cowering, I mean "soft" in the dog trainer's sense, that they respond a lot to correction, or perceived correction. So the ones I know in agility, the handlers generally have to learn to go with what the dogs give them on course, because if they start redoing obstacles, the dog slows way down and can't make course time. Mine are like that too.

It may not be what you want, but that's what they are.

(oh, and in these photos, the RR that is playing is one of the puppies from the photos that you didn't like. The RR that is lying down is a different dog. Same owner.)
Still don't care for them as puppies, I don't think they are cute. I do like some adult dogs, but not many. Still have yet to see one that made me go Wow! I am not soft and can be heavy handed. Some breeds I find do not do well with me. Danes for example. I like the way they look, but we do not mesh well at all.

Members online