All the reasons you want or don't want to add another dog

monkeys23

Skye is...Skye. Every time I'm like aw just stick with Skye, maybe if you worked really hard she would learn to love sports..and then I go and work with her and it's just.. no. It's like trying to train a llama.
The llama thing is awesome and I totally get that. It just fits my parent's defective guard llama to a t! She will not stay with the sheep. Ever.

Equinox

This thread basically sums up the raging internal debate I've been dealing with this past year :rofl1:

Want:

- um, PUPPY?!?

- Puppy will grow up into a (hopefully) awesome adult dog.

- I'd really like to apply the knowledge I've gained over the last 3 - 4 years about what I really want in a dog and about the breed and raising puppies in general.

- I love dogs, pure and simple.

- I have a lot of time on my hands, and though I am still financially dependent, my family is on board with the idea.

- There are some fantastic litters I have been watching and admiring.

- All these Chaz puppies are not helping. At all.

- It's a good time, and Trent is at a good age (almost 4).

- um, PUPPY?!???!???

- I am enjoying my relationship with Trent so much and can't wait to build that with another dog.

Do Not Want:​

- I am enjoying my relationship with Trent so much, that I am worried a second dog will take a little away from that.

- I have a Trent. He's perfect for me and there is nothing I am looking for in a dog, or looking to do with one, that he cannot do/become, to be honest.

- Trent is very much an only child. He doesn't like to share and doesn't especially enjoy the company of another dog.

- Added expenses. Food, vet care, boarding, etc. We take vacations every summer, and there are always one or two weeks where we are going to a place that is not dog friendly.

- The amount of effort it will take. I am okay with taking more time to own a second dog, but I feel like two dogs is a big jump from one.
~ If I go hiking or to the beach, that is one more dog to watch and manage. Two off leash dogs is harder to watch than one!
~ If I go on a grocery run, that two dogs to fit in a small car, or I have to decide which to take along for the ride.
~ If I go to Petsmart or Home Depot, which dog do I take? What about my morning coffee runs (and a bagel/cream cheese for the dog)? That's me and Trent time!

- Regardless of what I have learned in the last 3 - 4 short years, I have a lot more to continue to learn and think about before I'm comfortable enough to believe that I can make educated decisions. This is a big one for me... the more I am learning right now, the more I want to continue to learn and experience before I go into choosing and raising a second dog.

- Again, I have only ever had Trent, and thus, a grand total of one dog in my life. I don't know what it is to like to have anything else and I'm worried about our relationship taking a hit from getting a second dog.

This is why my puppy plans have been pushed back another two years :eek:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Reasons I has wanting:
-I have access to more free food from work each month than I can shovel into Frodo (obviously this is the MAIN reason I want another dog! :p)
-I want a dog to do stuff with who enjoys training and doing stuff! (this is legitimately the #1 reason)
-Frodo turns 7 in less than two months, I feel like the older he gets the harder it is going to be to add another dog to the household. I still want to be able to take both dogs on hikes and such for a couple years at least.

Reasons I hesitate:
-I'm scared the dog will seem all awesome and then turn into Frodo #2!
-I don't have enough money to clone Zuma. :(
-The initial period of acclimation is going to blow so **** hard.

And let me just say that dog number two will be a DOG! If this was about why I didn't want to add a PUPPY then the list would be way way longer.

Don't Want:
Our condo has a two-pet limit.
I have no more money to throw at classes/trials/food/toys.
I already have one very active, time consuming young dog in training.
I have no more time to train/play.
Meg would either kill me in my sleep or run away from home.
Please point her in the direction of Minnesota ;)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Do Want:
-I like dogs.
-Juno is a complete social wimp, I miss having a dog that I can take places worry-free.
-I want a snuggly dog! Lucy belongs to my mom. And Juno does not accept my love unless it is in the form of food or wrestling.

Do Not Want:
-I am poor
-I want a puppy but know that right now I have no desire to actually train a puppy
-My house is full of neurotic animals that take up enough of my time

spiffy

Don't want another dog RIGHT NOW! :D Already have four and the racket my babies make every time I open the door at the end of the day practically brings the house down.

Reasons We Want:

- We'd like a dog that's more suited to our lifestyle and energy level.
- We will always have a dog, a rescue, because we have the time, energy, and money to care for one properly.
- When we have the space (only allowed 3 dogs in the city) we'll adopt another because we really, really, love dogs.

Reasons We Don't Want:

- Gosh, we're not getting any younger and I'd hesitate to get a dog that just may outlive us. Not that it's future care would be a problem, but I wouldn't want it to be sad. Yeah, I'm a little weird thinking like that.
- The "There but by the Grace of God go I" syndrome. Right now we have two special needs and one Derp (special needs only in his mind). What if something were to happen that we couldn't afford the medical care? Three dogs, it's a heck of a responsibility really.
- What if we adopt a dog with a fairly high energy level (we camp and hike) and my arthritis flares up or some other medical condition (back to the "getting older" thing) and we're not able to give the dog the exercise he/she needs?
- Finally, and the only thing that really gives me pause when considering adopting another, emotionally I'm not sure I'm equipped to keep losing my guys. I've lost three so far, and each and every time I felt like my heart was being ripped out. The thought of eventually losing the three we have kills me.

So far, because I'm a bit anal about details, we have contingency plans for every one of the "cons", except that last one. Frankly, I've been accused of over-thinking things sometimes.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Reason I Want:
- Puppy. Puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy.
- Ever since Blackie passed away, I haven't had "my" dog and I really miss that bond.
- Every time I see a puppy I melt into a little ball of motherly hormones and want to take it home with me.
- I want to go through puppy hood again. I want to be able to raise and train and socialize the way I want to. I want to watch a little squishy puppy grow into a dog.
- Perfect time. I'm low income, but I can afford another dog. I work full time, but after December that will basically be my only thing that will take up my time during the day. I'm not married, I don't have children, and if Mike enlists I'm going to need something to focus on during that time frame and having "my" dog will be a huge help to me.
- Reiterating again how much I miss having "my" dog. I miss having a dog that enjoys working with me and loves to learn new things. I miss having a dog that views me as his person. I miss having a dog that I can take places and do things with. I miss having a dog I can play ball and tug with, and wrestle with. I miss having a dog that barks when someone is at the door. I miss having a dog I can go on walks with. I just...need my dog. Life isn't the same without one.

Reasons I can't have now:
- Mike's wishes. He is under a boat load of stress and dealing with a puppy doing puppy things could quite possibly be his breaking point at this point in time. So puppy needs to wait as close to May as possible.

milos_mommy

WANT:
puppy. Do I need to say more?
I miss having a pit bull/bigger dog in general
Milo's a huge jerk and I want a nice dog
Milo's getting older, and it would be nice to have a puppy (younger dog) around
I want my baby to grow up with an AWESOME family dog, not a little sedated devil who wants to eat him
I'd like a dog to do sports with
So many need homes

DO NOT WANT
I'm having a baby. I've got enough on my plate.
Money - I could probably afford another dog, but don't want the added stress
Milo's a dick
Milo's getting older, and I wouldn't want to stress him by adding another dog
I don't want to crate and rotate any more than I already do, especially with a baby in the mix
I wouldn't have time to participate in all the things I want to with a new dog right now
My family who I live with doesn't want another dog

monkeys23

Want:
Its so fun seeing the individual strengths and weakenesses when we train, like how one thing is really easy for one and super hard for the other. And vice versa of course. Thats one thing I really love about training multiple dogs at once.

thehoundgirl

Want:

- I want an APBT, the dog doesn't have to be a puppy. :)

Don't want:

- It's just not the right time and I don't want two DA dogs since Buster has some DA especially since I want another male. It will be the right time some day.
- It wouldn't be fair to my crew, especially Buster since he's old and deserves to be the king of the house that he is. Plus, Dixie is pretty young still and I don't think my cats would appreciate another dog right now and I certainly don't want to stress them out.
- Plus, I have a house full already that I am truly happy with enjoying them. :)

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Want:

- Rowan does much better with a companion. It helps his anxiety & he's just happier in general. There was always another dog around for our first 3 years together, either my old dog Lucky or my old roommate's dog, and now that he's been alone for the past year, I've seen a marked difference.
- I've always considered myself a multi-dog person, I just haven't been able to get another since Lucky died.
- 2x the cuddles and fun!
- I just want another dog, lol.

Do not want:

- I worry that Rowan will be jealous because I'll have to divide my attention between 2 dogs. He did just fine with Lucky, but then, Lucky was there before he was, so he never knew any different.

The only DNW point can definitely be worked with, so we'll be adding somewhat soon :)

Want:
I irrationally want a puppy, because I'm at college now and seriously missing my dogs.

Don't Want:
I live in a dorm. Small problem #1.
I have three young dogs at home.

Maxy24

Right now I really want a dog, preferably I want Tucker. Because not living with a dog when dogs are your whole world is seriously depressing. I cannot live with Tucker because I'm living in a college dorm. Having him here would make life so much better though. It's like the conversation I had with dad on my way back to school one time after being home on vacation. He asked if I was enjoying college, I said not really (which he already knew), he asked what would need to happen for me to enjoy myself, I said "a dog", he said "oh....well that's unfortunate". Yup.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
DO WANT
-Tyler and I are financially stable.
-We own our own home.
-Teagan is very visibly lonely since Mitsu died, and she needs a companion.
-We bought a crew cab truck for the purpose for a large dog and Teagans kennel to sit in the back.
- The house just feels empty since Mitsu died.
- I am used to at least a two dog house hold.
- I would feel a lot less lonely and safer with a large mastiff with my when I am home alone and when we go hiking and bush camping.
- We have the time and energy to train a puppy.
- Teagan is at a good age to add another puppy.
- Tyler and his friends hunts now so we are able to feed a good amount of raw.
- Tyler is totally 100% on board with puppy. I sware sometimes he is more excited that I am.
DONT
- I can't think of any :)

Last edited:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
WANT:
I do not even going to think about this category because...

DON'T WANT:
- Already have a temporary puppy
- If we bring home a puppy then we cannot keep a Mirapup if those plans come to fruition

That second one pretty much trumps or dwarfs any and all "Wants/Don't Wants."

DO WANT
-Tyler and I are financially stable.
-We own our own home.
-Teagan is very visibly lonely since Mitsu died, and she needs a companion.
-We bought a crew cab truck for the purpose for a large dog and Teagans kennel to sit in the back.
- The house just feels empty since Mitsu died.
- I am used to at least a two dog house hold.
- I would feel a lot less lonely and safer with a large mastiff with my when I am home alone and when we go hiking and bush camping.
- We have the time and energy to train a puppy.
- Teagan is at a good age to add another puppy.
- Tyler and his friends hunts now so we are able to feed a good amount of raw.
- Tyler is totally 100% on board with puppy. I sware sometimes he is more excited that I am.
DONT
- I can't think of any :)
So when does the new addition arrive? :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I do not for several reasons, the top ones being:

1.) Cost. We're super poor.
2.) More pets = more complicated.
3.) Possible difficulty integrating a third dog in with our two.
4.) Time. I barely feel like I spend time with my current dog.
5.) ****ing dog hair everywhere. Seriously hate it. Love my dogs, hate their hair.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Want: I want a large fluffy dog that DOES NOT SHED. Or drool. Well, I'm not too particular on the drool, but the SO is very opinionated on the topic. If my next dog is a shedder, it will have an Aussie/Golden/Collie type coat - I just can't stand the short hair everywhere.

Company for Middie?

Don't Want: $$$$$ - So many better things I can be spending my money on right now.

Time - I barely have time to exercise myself. Or study. I do NOT have time for a second dog. I make time for Middie but he only lives with me half the week and he's turned into a dog that will sleep all day, go on a walk or play ball when I get home from work, and go back to sleep or the evening.

Leash training - we've made some serious leaps in LLW lately, and I will shoot myself in the face if I have to leash train another dog.

Time. Did I mention time? Do not haz.

I don't have a car big enough to fit two dogs in.

Over all, a second dog is not happening. . . I had this great idea that I would foster, but in reality that will not work out.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Want:
- Two dogs is the best number, imho.
- I need a female dog amongst the boys.
- Get the high drive dog I wanted.
- Duke enjoys the company of other dogs he knows well, and he's always happy with his buddies around.
- I love puppies.
- I want to experience raising a puppy to full grown dog, from all the training and shaping aspects.

Don't want:
- I'm busy busy busy. Dog sitting makes me realize it. When I have to walk dogs before work, and come straight home after, no 10hr shifts, it delays everything.
- I pretty much already have a second dog, Boomer, and he needs to factor in as well.
- Not sure if Duke will bond the same to another dog like he has Boomer, which is what I want.
- Money
- Don't know if I can adjust to spoiling another dog like I do Duke and Boomer.
- Duke still has a good potential sports career ahead of him, if I would just start him in classes. For what I need, realistically, he's all the dog I need. Even if he isn't high octane.

In time, my puppy will come. I'll have to re-evaluate in a couple years!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Right now I really want a dog, preferably I want Tucker. Because not living with a dog when dogs are your whole world is seriously depressing. I cannot live with Tucker because I'm living in a college dorm. Having him here would make life so much better though. It's like the conversation I had with dad on my way back to school one time after being home on vacation. He asked if I was enjoying college, I said not really (which he already knew), he asked what would need to happen for me to enjoy myself, I said "a dog", he said "oh....well that's unfortunate". Yup.
I uses to have 3 dogs but my folks stole my JRT bear & they have all but made it quite clear that I can never have him back LMBO because he was the one perfect puppy/ dog I had (or **** close to it) which is why I never got another Russell bc I know they can be bastards & I was so afraid of getting a ******* LMBO so I got an ACD & she was a HUGE PITA for 2 yrs but she repaid my stresses tenfold with many good years of being my best & at some dark times my only friend.

Members online

No members online now.