Do you supplement your performance dogs?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I was wondering if anyone gives vitamins or extra supplements for your performance dogs? (Performance is in doing agility). I was thinking the other day about how the extra running and jumping but effect their joints in the long run.

Thanks in advance.
Mere

L

Lyka_01

Actually I give vitamins to Mha-ih and Sangro but not for agility purposes because they are lazy indeed...they love just to sit and sleep...sometimes I think they just for display purposes...lol...but I love them so much...

chanda

i stopped giving my dog vitamins... but lately i notice that she's getting thinner... i wonder if it was because of the vitamins...

Dekka

Just try me..
Mine just get a good raw diet (for the most part.. right now we are on Orijen cause I am going on a trip and its easier for other people feeding the dogs)

I won't supplement with glucosamine or msm untill there is an issue. As far as I know there are no long term studies on the effects of starting dogs or horses on them for prevention.

adojrts

I give my dogs that are training heavy or competing a couple of things.
Petie gets Salmon Oil, which provides extra fat in the system and in a natural mild anti inflamatory.
He also gets Chondrontin/MSM (because he does have a mild problem in his pelvis) but he only gets it when we are competing heavily, not year around.
He is also given Elkhorn, which is a natural anti inflamatory but in low doses.
This is all done with the advice and approval of his Sports Medicine Vet who is Holistic/Chinese Medicine and is also a Chiropractor. He is given chiropractic adjustments (mild adjustments) at least once a month when we are competing and he LOVES it, especially the massage at the end :D
He is very hard on himself and very fast, he wouldn't have remained sound for this long (8 yrs) if I didn't do all this and more.

Dekka

Just try me..
Well if we are going to talk chiro and massage :D. Dekka has gotten massage before and some runs and loved it. Once I get working she will definitely see a chiro on an as needed basis. She isn't as fast as Petie, but she is fast and hard on herself too. (you know its bad when you can hear the 11 inch ~12 pound dog hit the frame from across the ring)

Members online

No members online now.