Anyone watching Westminster Dog Show?

bogolove

Oh I forgot, going now. I always love to watch for the German Shepherd. And the Newfoundland. I am also interested in seeing the Briard, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. I love to watch this show!!!!!!

avenlee

I love to watch. I especially liked the Parenese, Bernese Montain Dog, Greater Swiss mountain Dog and Neo Mastiff (love them chops!)

I also enjoyed the Glen Terrier, Norfolk Terrier and of course the West Highland. =)

bogolove

You know the Pyrenees won the working dog group last night. It was so beautiful!!!! The Pekinese won the toy group. I am not usually a huge fan of the way they look but it was so fun to look at it so it was cute in it's own way, I couldn't help but smile when I looked at it. It reminded me of Gizmo on Gremlins!!!!!!

avenlee

Yes I know! The Pekinese looked like a walking hairball that my cat coughs up. LOL very cute. I'm looking forward to tonight's show.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I just looked and saw Stumpy won for the Sussex Spaniel. I saw him win at another show and just fell in love with the breed.

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
UGH! Breeding/showing for conformation. It makes me sick. Especially in the herding and working group. The "work" has been bred out of those poor dogs. Todays collie is as much of a "herder" as a poodle. As are many others.

Gotta say I have to agree with you, Caseyolee. Recognition by the AKC has been the death of a too many great breeds. I'm afraid it's going to spell disaster for the Neo; everyone is just going gaga over these great beasts, and you know where that's going to lead . . . overbreeding, inappropriate owners, temperament problems, ad nauseum.

I have high hopes that the AKC will never recognize the Fila. For one thing, there are too many disagreements on standards; for another, the Fila temperament- the proper Fila ojeriza - is such that judges are not necessarily expected to touch the dogs during examination, lol!

Last edited:

bubbatd

I hate how the Golden Retrievers now have shorter legs, and the way their beautiful tails are trimmed at the tip. !!!

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I have to say I was very pleased at the the comments made about the pits on that show. It was nice to hear. The announcers told everyone that those breeds sometimes get bad raps when they fall into the wrong hands. They said "There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners". I think it was pretty cool of them to slip that information out there....

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
Conformation UGH!

AKC Herding trials are such a joke. They are made for all the breeds of the herding group. The loose-eyed breeds, and the dogs (every herding dog in the AKC) that have had all the "herd" bred out of them. A working Border Collie is WAY overqualified for AKC tests/trials. Therefore most WORKING Border Collie breeders won't have anything to do w/ AKC. We don't breed for conformation, and when/if our dogs would win an AKC title, it wouldn't mean jack. If anyone wants to watch herding, I reccomend NOT watching an AKC one. Watch a USBCHA one. You will be WAY more impressed.

That and in AKC if your Border Collie has a conformation win, they can no longer compete in the herding trials. How retarded is that. That's like waying your dog can't be perfect. But, isn't that why we breed dogs....to make them better...to make then "perfect." I think AKC is just a huge watse of good dogs. Half those dogs in the ring don't even look like they like what they are doing.

I'm also glad they made good comments about the Pitt. I've owned 4 pitts and they were the sweetest dogs ever. It's too bad people have to ruin them and their reputation.

Last edited:
Like you, Caseyolee, I'm not a big fan of the AKC and I agree with you 100% on how they've encouraged the demise of true working lines, but I've got to admit I love watching all those different breeds of dogs.

Now, one of these days I'd love to go to MolosserStock!

DobeDad

Confirmation shows just boogle my mind. How can you compare different breeds to different standards and choose a winner??

Did you hear that the handler of the german short haired pointer (who won best in show) was also last years newfoundland handler that won best in show? .....seems odd.

My understanding is that the breeds aren't judged "against" each other, but rather each is judged against the ideal standard for its breed. The dog that most closely mirrors the ideal for its breed is the overall Best In Show.

Good handlers are in great demand and command a lot of money. It's not that unusual for the best handlers to show different dogs. I've even heard of top handlers showing different dogs in the same show!

Members online

No members online now.