"Pick a puppy"

http://www.cmt.ca/show/pick-a-puppy/

Has anyone seen this? It's a show where a family goes on and the host interviews them and asks them about what sort of a dog they would like in their lives, their expectations, desires etc then they either go visit individual breeders or rescue dogs - it's usually a choice of three dogs/breeds that they have to make their decision from. The family spends time with the puppies, runs around with them in the breeders backyard, asks about how the breed is with kids, energy levels, requirements etc What do you think of the show?

I find it quite average - very saccharine day time cable like. Breed info provided could be a little more detailed but what is provided is generally accurate, which is a good thing.

My friend was joking around with me that they should do a "extreme breed" pick a puppy segment LOL.

"A Caucasian Ovcharka, A Catahoula, and a Malinois! Which of these balls of...erm....dog will this family end up going home with?" LMAO; Seriously though if they did a feature with working breeds/a little more unusual choices WITH detailed information about breed and responsible ownership and duties that would be very entertaining. If the family was just a average nuclear family looking for a very average dog and had no clue about what they were about to get into - that would be even more entertaining LOL.

Not dissing "ordinary" dogs or mocking them at all - but I just think it would be interesting and refreshing to see a mainstream show delve into coverage of them =)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I NEVER ever watch CMT, for fear of hearing a country song... but I'll have to watch this. :) It's nice to see people actually doing research and meeting different dogs rather than going "AWW cute I want it!" or "Mommy get me this puppy from the petstore/side of the road!" I hope they're reputable breeders, not BYBs or designer dogs or any of that.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
The rescue organization that puts the show on with CMT, I am involved in :)

I like it, tbh. From looking at the breeders I've seen -- they're not all bad. They do at least health test, keep minimum litters a year, etc. I think it gets a bad rap because they just "don't know what breed they want and go to breeders with puppies"... Without people realizing they were approved by said breeders ahead of time, and they do go in knowing the breeds, but wanting to meet the pups to choose. The questions they ask, is really meant for the viewers.

Now, are they the best breeders out there? No, but at least they aren't showing BYBs or puppy mills.

(though there was one breeder inparticular I personally found to be pushing to the BYBS side of things..)

Mind you, I haven't seen many episodes, as it's on while I'm at work.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh and the guy that comes in first for the rescue episodes, and brings his dachshund? He has 2 (or had, I think one has passed away) and they are the cutest dogs EVAR.

Teal

...ice road...
My friend was joking around with me that they should do a "extreme breed" pick a puppy segment LOL.

"A Caucasian Ovcharka, A Catahoula, and a Malinois! Which of these balls of...erm....dog will this family end up going home with?" LMAO; Seriously though if they did a feature with working breeds/a little more unusual choices WITH detailed information about breed and responsible ownership and duties that would be very entertaining. If the family was just a average nuclear family looking for a very average dog and had no clue about what they were about to get into - that would be even more entertaining LOL.

Not dissing "ordinary" dogs or mocking them at all - but I just think it would be interesting and refreshing to see a mainstream show delve into coverage of them =)

I would cry if "extreme breeds" got any more attention. The general public does NOT need to know about them LOL

I've seen the show a handful of times, and I didn't think it was half bad.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"

Interestingly, a while back we met and chatted with the show's producer, who assured us of how vigorously they screened their prospective breeders.

Subsequently, I actually met one of the breeders who was on the show. I asked the "vigorous screening process" to which they burst out laughing. It went like this:
They had been contacted by a "Pick a Puppy" rep shortly before the show, and simply asked if they would have a "litter on the ground" at such-and-such a date. The answer was "yes". With that, they had passed the screening process.

There was a lot of "reality TV." B.S. that went into the show, including (amongst many other things) representing a different dog as being the puppies' mother (the show didn't like that the mom's coat, after having given birth, was not as attractive as their other female).

In the end, their puppy was chosen, and they were very happy with the adopting family. But they had nothing but venomous comments about the show, in general, and the host, specifically. I can't go into details, but it all sounded like a very "smarmy" experience for them.

We've seen it a number of times. It's a pretty crappy, quite predictable, formula-based show. Information provided is often incorrect. The hostess can give you diabetes. Breeders are often mediocre, at best. It could and should be a lot better!

On the plus side, there are the puppies!

I have seen it and some of the breeders are half decent, many of them are in Ontario and I recognized a few of them.

Then I saw the 'hybrid' episode and it pretty well turned me off of it. The couple wanted a mixed breed because they are calmer, yeah you can see where this is going. So they go to see a coca-poo (sp?) 'breeder who's dogs accidentally had a litter and gosh they where so cute they decided to have more! Then a labradoodle breeder who 'rescued a puppy from a petstore' if I recall and then decided to breed her and raise the puppies outside. I yelled at the tv somewhere around this point. They where so sketchy!

Sekah

The Monster.
I have seen it and some of the breeders are half decent, many of them are in Ontario and I recognized a few of them.

Then I saw the 'hybrid' episode and it pretty well turned me off of it. The couple wanted a mixed breed because they are calmer, yeah you can see where this is going. So they go to see a coca-poo (sp?) 'breeder who's dogs accidentally had a litter and gosh they where so cute they decided to have more! Then a labradoodle breeder who 'rescued a puppy from a petstore' if I recall and then decided to breed her and raise the puppies outside. I yelled at the tv somewhere around this point. They where so sketchy!
Yep, that's the one episode I saw, I think. I assumed they focused almost entirely on designer crossbreeds and wrote it off as crap. Saccharine is a great word for it.

Toller_08

I've watched it a handful of times when there was nothing else on and not much else to do first thing in the morning. The earlier episodes were far worse than the more recent ones. They seem to have gotten better about finding breeders and they've had more rescue/adoptable dog episodes. They used to pretty much all be BYBs but some of the more recent episodes had better breeders. Well, they appeared to be better anyway and I do like the Toller breeder they had for that episode (but the stupid show totally butchered the breed name).

The only reason I've ever watched it was just because I like looking at the dogs.The people are generally annoying and the show seems very scripted.

Assamiea

I used to watch the show all the time when the breeders seemed somewhat decent. Then one family went to look at Great Danes from a "breeder" in Ontario that is notorious on kijiji for being a puppy mill that produces multiple litters and sells sick dogs with bad temperaments and conformation. Their form of having puppies raised in home is to basically rent a house, put the dogs in the house and stop by every once in a while to feed them. After the show tried to tout this breeder as reputable I stopped watching.

Members online

No members online now.