White Dobermans Your Opinion?

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
Hey guys I was just wondering what your take on the white Doberman was I personally do not condone them
The reason I am asking is I met this lady the other day and she breeds and raises them I totally wanted to choke her when she defended them and said that they have a right to live too when the real facts are they are a result of inbreeding and are known to be aggressive and have exstensive health problems so my question is what is your opinion on the white Doberman???? :(

I don't like white Dobes. (Or, I like them, just not the people breeding them.)

No reputable breeder would ever breed for white Dobes.
I totally agree with this statement.

bogolove

I have also never seen or heard of White Dobes. I can't even believe someone would do that. They will let almost anyone breed a dog or have a baby. Shouldn't you have to have a license for both?

avenlee

I'm sorry and with all due respect to all Admins and everyone on the site as I know you love and adore all animals as I do.... I purchased my dogs from a pet shop at the local mall. And they are the best girls and wouldn't have changed my mind if given the second to. They deserve good homes just as ANY dog/animal does. After reading, I know I'm contributing to the backyard breeding, but what would happen to these dogs if someone didn't. Maybe I'm off topic here on this thread but the dogs are just as much as a victim and I LOVE my dogs and to think that if didn't purchase them and wind up somewhere else.

Just because they aren't the right color, size, up to "standard" shouldn't make a difference. We all love our dogs! And they love us! That's all that should matter.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I just wanted to share an excerpt from a Doberman Pinscher Club of America's (DCPA) newsletter

After investigation the DPCA has determined that the albinistic trait in the Doberman Pinscher is deleterious to the breed and should be considered a disqualifying genetic fault as described in the DCPA's standard and code of ethics
We discourage breeders from allowing this trait to spread and recommend the following: Albino "white" specimens, parents of albino "white", the litter mates of albino "white", as well as any animal coded "WZ" as the first two letters of it's AKC registration number SHOULD NOT BE BRED all of these dogs should be spayed or neutered
Albinos "white" are not eligible to be shown in AKC conformation shows, therefore no AKC champions are "white"

Just thought I would share this with you to help you decide
I don't agree with these people who are breeding them and they are a detrement to the breed but I do want to say that I am glad AKC is taking a stand and trying to get people to realize this is more serious than it seems by coding the begining of Doberman Pinschers registration numbers with "WZ" if they have any trace of the albinistic gene I also wanted to share this excerpt from the same newsletter

Dobermans that deviate from the standard in apperance, structure, or temperment should NEVER be bred

I think this should be for every breed
The white Doberman is another reason why people need to stop contributing to byb's and puppymills by buying from petstores and irresponsible breeders

avenlee

Serena, I completely understand and agree with your passion and ideals. After reading the many stories on this site, I do realize the need not to support the BYB. I guess I just feel that because I did so, people think I'm horrible and could care less about my dogs. If and when I get another dog, I will definately visit my local shelter.

The post wasn't meant to be snappy,only to bring up the point that some of us out there don't realize the need to not support backyard breeding. Instead of pouncing on someone, we should nicely educate them. :) Which is what this board has done to me :)

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I agree and that is why it is not the buyers that need to be remorsfil for buying puppies from a BYB, or petstore, or a pm or any other horrific place the fact is that these dogs need homes too but if people get educated before buying and they usually learn that after the first disaster than we can all work hand in hand and stop these dogs from needless suffering

I think it is the same for white shepherd and white boxers too, don't you think.
There are other breeds out there where people breed for colors that are against the breed standard, their coloring makes them rare and therefor more exensive to buy.
Only backyarders looking for a quick buck......:-( IMHO

Serena said:
Actually Boxers that have more than 1/3 markings on their bodies are disqualified from the ring...in other words reputable breeders don't purposely breed white boxers, and if one is born in the litter it is spayed/neutered...

White Boxers are not breeding quality.
Oh ok I'll shut up then.

Doberluv

It's despicable! They're full of health problems, as if the Doberman already doesn't have more than his fair share. They are totally not in the standard. They're a mutation. These "breeders" ought to locked up.

It's a genetic mutation; it probably shows up on a recessive gene and manifests when two dogs are bred that have the gene. Even with two dogs with the gene it won't manifest at every breeding or in every pup. For some reason the "white" gene seems to come with other health defects in most breeds, not just the Dobermans. Other colors are affected this way, too, like the blue Merle color in some Australian Shepherds. Reputable, responsible breeders never breed two blue Merle Aussies because a union of two blue Merles often also yields deafness, blindness or both.

Unfortunately, unethical, uncaring people will sometimes breed two dogs with this genetic trait on purpose, solely to get the white coloration. They cater to people who just want a unique "look."

My best advice to anyone who wants a "unique look" is to go to your local shelter and adopt a mixed breed. You'll have a one-of-a-kind!

PawsRanch6

Ridiculous!

I am new to this forum...however i do agree with the backyard breeder and pet store theory on this! At work we call the white Dobies, Schnouzers and other off color dogs such as the white shepherd and blue dobies counterfit dogs! they are all colors not recognized by AKC not saying AKC is always right but...at least they try to keep stuff right! All of this is happening because of the inbreeding etc...What can we do about it? bout all I can think of is not buy from backyard breeders! Don't give them the satisfaction of selling their dogs! Just my opinion! :mad:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I grew up working in a kennel, my job was to take care of the puppies from the minute they were born until they were sold.I started when I was twelve and worked there along with two other kennels for 20 years. The main kennel I worked at had a good reputation for intellegent and careful breeding. These were field trial dogs. Every once in a while a solid white labrador would be born..usually stillborn or died very soon after. It is just a theory of mine, i might be wrong, but the whiter the pup the weaker..My dog had very white fur and very pink skin..he reacted to sunlight and was prone to infection. His whiteness was unusual for his breed. He died of cancer at 7. People should be aware of this before they choose to encourage such breeding, and becoming envloved with a animal that may have costly ilnesses and an early death.

Welsh Doberman

I may bite... grrr!
I have heard of White Dobermans but never have i seen one, i would like to see one out of curiosity but i do find it wrong :mad:. As candy722 said how do you get a White Doberman? :confused:

Staff online

Members online