MOAR THREADS. Breeder what would you do situation.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
As I get more involved in the ACD breed, I'm of course beginning to learn a lot more about what certain breeders are producing as well as structure and what I'd like to see in my next cattle dog (years and YEARS down the line).

There is a working breeder I've really liked for a long time. I've talked to her for several years on and off and her dogs do a great job doing real work on a ranch. The gal is also EXTREMELY nice. However, her dogs aren't super "pretty" per say. But, they live in the house and as far as I know get along well with others, ect.

There is a conformation/herding trialing breeder I've been learning more about that I have been considering lately as well. I've not spoken to her personally, but she is heavily involved in all things ACD. She produces awesomely put together dogs that actually have angles. OMG unheard of. I've heard that they are insanely drivey and live in a kennel to my knowledge. One male is a somewhat reactive from what I've heard.

I definitely like the structure and look of breeder 2's dogs a lot better, and would probably be able to easily finish a CH if I wanted to hit the breed ring again. But, it sounds like her lines can be difficult to live with in a typical household environment and maybe don't have the best offswitch. Breeder 1 seems to have a bit more even temperament while still having plenty of drive and working/herding potential. Obviously both health test. I'm hoping to be able to meet both lines of dogs, but alas you never know how life may go.

Thoughts on which breeder you would go with and go.

milos_mommy

Personally, I'd go with one, but I think of I was getting an adult dog and not a puppy, I'd pick breeder 2.

Elrohwen

If breeder #1's dogs are put together well enough to be athletic and do real work, but just aren't flashy, then I would go with #1. I would pick the temperament I want over show ring structure any day, assuming the dog wasn't a mess that might break down physically or something.

If breeder #1's dogs are put together well enough to be athletic and do real work, but just aren't flashy, then I would go with #1. I would pick the temperament I want over show ring structure any day, assuming the dog wasn't a mess that might break down physically or something.
Me too.

meepitsmeagan

Oh her dogs definitely aren't going to break down. Honestly from what I've experienced so far with show ring dogs is that THEY are more likely to break down. :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
That's what I was thinking, too. I suppose it depends more on what your priority is - would you rather take the chance of having a more difficult house dog in order to compete in the show ring, or is household dynamics above all else more important?

I wouldn't rule out breeder #2, but I would want to speak with people who have purchased pups from her to see what their experiences with her and her dogs are.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Definitely would want to talk to folks with Breeder 2's pups before making any decisions. And I'd prob talk to Breeder 2 about how they match pups to buyers. Because Breeder 2's dog sound like just my kind of crazy. :banana:

meepitsmeagan

Definitely would want to talk to folks with Breeder 2's pups before making any decisions. And I'd prob talk to Breeder 2 about how they match pups to buyers. Because Breeder 2's dog sound like just my kind of crazy. :banana:
Well I broke down and messaged Breeder 2. There's just something about her dogs that keep bringing me back. So far I like her a lot. May try to swing by her place when I go on vacation next month.. We've spoken about her before, Erin. :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I was wondering if it's the one we've talked about. Going to see the dogs in person is a great idea if you can swing it!

meepitsmeagan

I was wondering if it's the one we've talked about. Going to see the dogs in person is a great idea if you can swing it!
Bummer, she will be out of town then, too. Well, I have several years. I will get to meet one of her puppies at that cluster, though!

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Having owned a dog with all the drive and none of the angles, I would go for the crazy dogs with the angles over the tamer ones. That's just me though, I already know I can handle the crazy and the angles would make it a lot easier to not break my dog in the process.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I would want #2 personally, if it was a breeder in one of my breeds, simply because I know I can handle the crazy lol

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
I suggest breeder #3. ;) Sound structure AND temperament. Keep looking. Find a breeder that is in it for the love of the breed. They are working to produce the "total package". If they like you, maybe they will let you have one of the "good" pups. Hard to find but you have time.

If all you have is these two to choose from, I would go for the "bred for temperament" any day.

Members online

No members online now.