I've been doing my research but still need help...

kiwigirl

Hi Everyone,

I know this question gets asked all the time but I'm hoping that by providing all the necessary information...not just asking in general...that some of you more knowledgable dog lovers will be able to help me.

I have wanted a dog for about 3 years now and over that time have done my research...I haven't gotten one yet because I know that with work/school/extra activities I wouldn't have the time needed-especially as I'm looking to get a puppy and train it. But things are going to be changing...

My question is: What type of dog would you recommend for me?

Here is my situation and some of my requirements:

I will be living on my own in a 1 bedroom apartment..I live in the city
I am looking for a small/toy breed preferably
I know that the following, in part, depends on how it was socialized as a pup but I would prefer a non-agressive dog (not looking for protection!)
I have younger brothers under 5 who will visit
I would prefer a non-shedding dog but really that's not too important
I'm not the most active person but I would be able to get out a few hours a week for exercise.
I will be working about 8 hour days--so it'd be alone for the better part of the day.
I dont want a "high maintenance"
I dont want a dog that is prone to "yapping"
I'm looking for a dog that is not too energetic as when I get home I like to lounge...and a dog that is affectionate would be great-but I know they need affection to give affection!

I'm a bit specific huh? But I figure that can only be a good thing.

So far I'm leaning towards a chihuahua-but I've heard they are prone to yapping..or a havanese-but seems a touch high maintenance. Nonetheless I dont expect to find a dog that meets everything I've listed..so I'm open.

I hope it's obvious that I have been doing my homework..please help. ;)

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I am going to suggest putting in your search engine "finding the perfect puppy" that will pop up some sites that will enable you to take tests to suggest a good breed for you!!

kiwigirl

Believe me that I have done that-I've been researching on and off for 3 years so I've done the quizes. And I have been given quite an extensive list of breeds that may be suitable---What I'm hoping to receive by posting here is actual comments and suggestions from other dog lovers instead of a generic trivia response.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I am going to suggest since you have done that "generic" search than
A Chi or maybe even a chinese crested they do come in two varitaties puffball (with hair) or hairless I know it may seem funny but they are a good dog also how about Boston Terriers they are small and low maitnence and are quiet or maybe a Mini Schnauzer even though you do need to take them the groomer they are a smaller dog (22 pounds) and they seem to not be to yappy they are also non shedding and a low maitnence dog and don't seem to need alot of exercise I also have a couple other suggestions a French Bulldog, Schipperke, Affenpinscher, Brussels Griffon, Japanese Chin, Manchester Terrier (toy varity), Miniature Pinscher, Papillon, and a Pug just some suggestions check these breeds out you may find one you like

Please seriously consider going to a shelter and adopting an adult or juvenile dog. You'll have a good idea of the dog's temperament and will bypass many of the trials and tribulations of dealing with training a puppy - difficult when you're working 8 hours a day.

If you decide on a specific breed, I'd encourage you to go to a breed rescue and find an adult dog that way.

Tl Ashmore can give you some first hand input on Boston Terriers, and Rip's Girl can tell you all about Papillons. You might try sending them a private message if they don't see your thread.

Russell

I agree, going to some of the shelters and rescues in your city is the best way to get an idea of the type of dog you like.

You may find that you actually prefer a different type to the Toy once you actually interact with them

Don't choose on your 1st or 2nd visit though, go a few times, and go to more than one rescue if possible. Also try to find pure bred dogs if possble. Most dog breed groups now operate rescues for specific breeds, and concentrate on only pure bred dogs.

Thanks, Russell, but I will have to say that sometimes a mix is the perfect dog, especially when you're not sure what you're looking for, want a dog as a pet and have some different criteria. Some of my best German Shepherds - physiologically and tempermentally - have been the mixes.

bogolove

Renee750il said:
Thanks, Russell, but I will have to say that sometimes a mix is the perfect dog, especially when you're not sure what you're looking for, want a dog as a pet and have some different criteria. Some of my best German Shepherds - physiologically and tempermentally - have been the mixes.

That Bimmer - he's definently a good one. What would you do sometimes with those big girls if you didn't have him? LOL! He may be have saved your sanity! Poor boy - he probably needs a vacation! ;) but then again if he got one, he would just worry what kind of trouble those girls were getting into, he has to keep them in line. He is such a good boy.

You are so right! I don't know how I'd cope with these eccentric female creatures without him, especially when Shiva's trying to lay behind Charley's legs on the sofa (like she did when she was a baby) and between me. The other night she wormed her way around until she had her gi-normous butt in my lap and had her body on Charley's legs, effectively pinning us both down. Then Kharma insinuated herself on the other side of me, oozing closer and closer until she had whatever parts of me Shiva hadn't buried completely covered. Charley couldn't take anymore (he's got bad knees) and made them get off, but of course they came back a few short minutes later to start the invasion all over again. Charley made them get down, and Bimmer hopped up, fitting perfectly behind Charley's legs and wouldn't let the girls back up on the sofa.

I take him on little vacations sometimes. I let him go with me some when the weather's cool. He's always glad to go, but as soon as he gets back he runs in and checks on everything! And both girls maul him. You'd think we were gone for weeks!

Sometimes, though, I think Bimmer would have appreciated having Bear to help him with these two. Bear was about 40 pounds bigger and wasn't as susceptible to feminine wiles. Kharma's got Bimmer pretty much where she wants him, I think partially because she's so much like her Aunt Buffy - the love of his life. ;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Well if there is any breed I know well it is Papillons. I know Border Collies too, but I wouldn't dare recommend one of the little monsters for city living. ;)

I will be living on my own in a 1 bedroom apartment..I live in the city
A Papillon would fit in wonderfully there.
I am looking for a small/toy breed preferably
Papillons range from about 4lbs to 10lbs. They would fit there as well.
I know that the following, in part, depends on how it was socialized as a pup but I would prefer a non-agressive dog (not looking for protection!)
Papillons generally are non-aggressive dogs. They're known for their happy nature. A step in the right direction for a well-rounded dog is good socialization.
I have younger brothers under 5 who will visit
This is where I wouldn't recommend a Papillon if they lived with you full-time. Kids and small/toy dogs in general do not mix well. It's not just papillons, but all small dogs. They don't get along well with pushy, loud, rude kids. My Pap loves gentle kids who don't pick him up, but I'm afraid that a kid would fall on him, pick him up and squeeze him, pull his ears, tail, etc. If you can train your brothers (yes it's usually the kids that need training, not the dogs. ;)) to be nice or leave the dog alone, this shouldn't be a problem. If they are disobedient and are rough and mean to animals, I would recommend a patient breed of dog over 30 pounds that could hold its own with disrespectful kids.
I would prefer a non-shedding dog but really that's not too important
Papillons are a low-shed breed if you brush them every few days.
I'm not the most active person but I would be able to get out a few hours a week for exercise.
Not a problem for a Pap. Mine gets all the exercise he needs just by running around inside the house.
will be working about 8 hour days--so it'd be alone for the better part of the day.
Papillons can do OK by themselves while their owners work. They're just going to want to shower you with kisses and love when you get home. ;)
I dont want a "high maintenance"
Paps are generally a lower-maitenance breed. Not as low maitenance as a larger breed, they take a small amount of special care, but they are inexpensive to feed since they are so small, extremely intelligent and easy to train and most are quite biddable. (My boy is a little snot, but every single other pap I have met has been a sweetie.)
I dont want a dog that is prone to "yapping"
Papillons (and almost all small breeds) like to bark. Teach "NO BARK" from an early age and you should be fine. They won't yap relentlessly unless you allow them to. Just expect to have a Papillon let you know if something is unusual.
I'm looking for a dog that is not too energetic as when I get home I like to lounge...and a dog that is affectionate would be great-but I know they need affection to give affection!
Papillons are active dogs, but you can be lazy and exercise your pap at the same time! I can be laying on the sofa watching TV, and Ripley (my papillon boy - he's the dog in my avatar) will bring me his ball to have it tossed to the other side of the room over and over.
Papillons are EXTREMELY affectionate. It's hard to find one that isn't. If you don't like a dog that will sit on your lap and give (and recieve!) kisses, a Papillon is not for you. They love to be next to their people, whether they are playing, cuddling, sleeping.. They're just "people dogs".

Overall I think a Papillon would be a good match for you. They come with a high price tag, and if you don't want to deal with that, rescue is a great alternative. (And you will save a life!) Along with saving a life, you could find a grown dog that is already house trained and won't be as needy as a pup.

pitbulliest

I have a Chihuahua and I know for a fact that they are yappy dogs and tend to be aggressive (dog aggressive)...so I think that's out of the question. I used to have a Mini Pinscher..and he was a great dog...was a bit yappy at times, but generally very friendly, with other animals too...maybe you can look into the breed and do some more research...MINIATURE PINSCHER...

Other than that, I don't know if I'd be your number one source...lol well..if you have any questions about pit bulls I'm your girl lol

Just a word of advice..keep an open mind..no matter what a book or internet search might say about a breed..dogs are like people..they have their own personalities and are all individuals...so don't always count on breed characteristics.

Members online

No members online now.