cats and bags

Maxy24

Both my cats like to eat plastic bags which is of course dangerous. It's impossible to not have them around the house, they go over trash bags to catch leaks from wet foods that get throw out (we have a cabinet for the trash but we have enough trash that we need multiple bags so one goes out next to the cabinet) and stuff from shopping for Christmas and bags holding stuff for storage purposes etc. So I've been trying to teach them not to chew them. Willie has a command (noise actually) that works well to stop him. I've simply made the noise run over and removed him... a lot, until he got the idea. I used it for other "bad" behaviors too so he learned the noise fast. Neko on the other hand does not do things bad very often, bad chewing is his only problem and he does that infrequently but when he does he swallows large portions. Since he does bad things less than Willie I don't really have the opportunity to teach him the noise. So for him I would need to set up situations to get him interested in the plastic and go from there. I've also decided to take a new approach so they will not chew at all, command or not and they will make the decision to do something else. This would need me to redirect, the only problem is that I don't know what to redirect to that they would have to possibility to choose on their own and that takes the place of bags. So anyone have any ideas of what I can use?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Please do whatever you can to take the plastic out of site even if it means another can for the other trash bag.

My Bear used to eat plastic. One day he chewed on the plastic shower curtain liner and it was stuck inside him. After a $1,000 surgery to remove it, he still ate plastic. We think he got another piece of plastic from somewhere and we lost our Bear at a very young age.

My cats get in the trash can too if they smell their food in it. When I feed the cats their wet food (Every night) I put the cans in a small plastic grocery bag and it goes straight to the dumpster outside. They haven't been in the trash since.

If they do something thats not accepted (Such as climbing the curtains,jumping on the counters or scratching the furniture (Even though there are cat scratchers ABSOLUTELY everywhere lol), then I spray them with a water bottle. But I have noticed that doesn't make them NOT jump on the counters, it just makes them jump down when they see me coming. So..I don't recommend doing that lol. I haven't tried any new methods..we are moving to a new house soon, and they are going to have their OWN room, and their OWN enclosed patio at the new house..and everything in that room they can jump on whenever they want, its their own personal furniture. So I don't really need to teach them that anymore. They will be allowed in other rooms in the house (my bedroom, the family room, and my mom's room..but theres no large peices of furniture they can jump on, and they won't be left alone because the neutered males STILL spray if we are not watching them.) And my bedroom cat Paris doesn't do anything bad at all.

Erin,we use a can. An empty coffee can and put coins in it. When ever Shadow is being bad we shake it and she runs away or stops what shes doing. It works alot better then water.

Members online

No members online now.