Portuguese Podengo Medio mix?

Amber

I found a breed that looks alot like Jr. They're like mini Ibizan hounds. What do you think?

PB

Jr. (his tail is curly because he was wagging it)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Hmmm... I wouldn't be sure to be honest :) I imagine they're pretty rare and that alone would cast doubt on them being mixed with other breeds.

The colours and marking could come from anywhere. And the build could be anything!

Sorry to rain on the parade.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
that is pretty uncanny, though...right down to the white tip on the tail and the build is somewhat similar, although the Podengo looks a bit longer in the back, but that could just be the pics.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
umm , how big is your dog , because she looks just like my issabelle , who is a beagle /chihuahua mix.
coloring , tail tip and all!

i wish i had some pictures i could show you , but i am at work and dont have any on this computer.

T

tessa_s212

The likelihood that your dog has any of this breed at all is practically 0%. But it is sure neat how similar they look! :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
The only medios and medio mixes I know of in the United States were brought over by Galgo Rescue International, and they were altered before entering the country. They are all also out on contracts that say they go back to the rescue if the adopters can't keep them, so I really, really doubt it's a medio mix.

Your dog is super cute though. His smile makes me think of a chihuahua mix.

ETA: looking again, his eye set and everything makes me think of a chihuahua. Chi mixes have been some of my favorite dogs. ;)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It's uncanny how similar they look, but I think it's more likely your cute boy is a Chi mix. :)

YodelDogs

There are some similarities but I agree that the chance of having Podengo in the dog is 0%.

From the Portugese Podengo Pequeno Club Of America's website:

"In the United States, about 80% of Podengos are of the small (Pequeno) breed. There are about 230 purebred Pequenos in the US, 80 Medios, and no Grandes."

(Note: This info is a little old. I know there are a couple of adults and a litter of Grandes in the states now.)

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
I agree he looks like a Chi mix, especially the face. But that IS uncanny! My pup happens to be the spitting image of the smooth-faced Pyrenean Shepherd, but there's no possible way one of those would have ended up in a shelter!

Sienna:

Pyrenean Shepherd:

You can really have fun with the folks at the dog park, though. :D

lizzybeth727

It is amazing how similar they look.....

It's situations like this that remind me that all breeds started out as mixes... they'd mix one of these dogs with one of those dogs and eventually start to develop a standard when they had the traits they want. So it makes me chuckle sometimes when people think too hard about what breeds their dog is mixed with.... the likelihood of a dog being "1/2 this and 1/2 that" or whatever is usually actually slim. It's more likely the dog is just an interesting mix of mixes that eventually looks like a dog with a breed name.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Sarama looks a lot like a Kai Ken, except for the white. But its a VERY rare breed. It just happens with mixes :D

Members online

No members online now.