Breeding for "Quality"

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Wolf - How will breeding a Belgian to a Malinois help a breeding program? Is a breeding program not supose to produce working/show PUREBREDS?

I mean that even if they are AMAZING working dogs, they cant be bred to another purbred and result in a reg offspring. Am I right?

Im not trying to accuse you of anything. But can you please explain it to me? Im confused.

T

tessa_s212

Forgiveme, my memory has failed me, but I belive in UKC the Belgian breeds are all considered one breed, but different varieties. So, according to the UKC, she will not be "mixing".

And heck, so long as she is health testing, breeding dogs with good temperments, breeding dogs with *working ability*, and dogs with good structure, I do not see one single thing wrong with it. :D

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
So with the UKC I got mix a Mal and a (black thing that she has. Im not even going to ATEMPT to spell it) and show it in conformation? Well thats dumb. WHo know what it would look like

T

tessa_s212

The "black thing" is a Beglian Shepherd, NOT a Groenendael. Google "Groenendael" and you will see what one is. :D

T

tessa_s212

tessa_s212 said:
Forgive me, my memory has failed me, but I belive in UKC the Belgian breeds are all considered one breed, but different varieties. So, according to the UKC, she will not be "mixing".
Emphasis on this paragraph^^^

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
I think the breeder I obtained my Shibas from is a pretty good example of a great, and very judicious breeder.

She obtained a *beautiful* black and tan Japanese import bitch. The markings were clear, and nearly perfect (hard to find these days), the coat of correct texture, and pigment (a dusky brown-black, NOT blue-black), and the bitch had a stunning headpiece and movement to die for. All the appropriate tests were done before any sort of breeding was to take place, and you can imagine her shock and surprise, that this lovely girl had a mild case of luxating patellas. Mild, but definitely present.

This dog, imported from Japan to the tune of $35,000 USD, was promptly spayed and placed in a pet home, for a nominal fee of $850 (the asking price for a pet puppy).

This girl *seemed* to have it all. She excelled in nearly every aspect of the breed. But sometimes all it takes is that one *little* fault. What may seem like a small deal (one luxating patella, a bit of an overbite), could in fact devestate an entire breeding program. No matter how exceptional the animal, if a fault is present that will affect it's life adversely, one that may easily get worse when passed on to puppies, the responsible thing is to cut your losses, enjoy the dog for it's individuality, and spay or neuter it.

Once you decide to breed that dog you are *stuck* with those genes in your program. There is no way to weed them out. (If you wish to continue using those lines). It is an irreversible process. By forgoing to breed the Shiba bitch with luxating patellas, my breeder suffered a bitter disappointment. But she saved herself *far* more heartache- the possibility of having a breeding program riddled with a pretty major flaw, one that would adversely affect future animal's lives.

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
Wolf - How will breeding a Belgian to a Malinois help a breeding program? Is a breeding program not supose to produce working/show PUREBREDS?
A malinois IS a Belgian. In Canada, Groenendael and malinois are different varieties, not breeds. Breeding a groenendael to a malinois produces black malinois.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
lol I'm with Wolf on this one.

Belgian Shepherds are ONE BREED.. there is just different Varieties..

like a jack russel comes in different varieties.

Sometimes a Tervuren bitch can have a Gronendael puppy!! They are just seperated by colour.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
JennSLK said:
Wow, Bravo to the breeder. Most breeders would have bred anyways,
Not responsible ones who care about the breed and want to produce the best pup for thier clients.
I dont know a thing about the breed you all are discussing so I have no input on it. As long as you are improving your lines its all good!:D

T

tessa_s212

This confusion is because in the US(AKC) the Beglian breeds ARE different breeds. While, in Canada(as we have been informed :D) they are the SAME breed, but different varieties. Again, if I am correct, I think the UKC is the same in that the belgian breeds are the same breed, but different varieties.

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
tessa_s212 said:
This confusion is because in the US(AKC) the Beglian breeds ARE different breeds. While, in Canada(as we have been informed :D) they are the SAME breed, but different varieties. Again, if I am correct, I think the UKC is the same in that the belgian breeds are the same breed, but different varieties.
Yup, it is the same with UKC -- Different varieties, same breed. :) So when I breed my groenendael to a malinois, I'll be producing black malinois (which can't be shown) which can go on to produce malinois, tervuren, AND groenendael when bred to a groen that carries terv. All quite confusing lol, but I look forward to keeping a female from this litter.

Members online

No members online now.