Dogs, Movies & Popularity

Brattina88

We all know the effects of popularity on dog breeds. It happens all of the time; Cocker Spaniels (lady and the tramp), Chihuahuas (Taco Bell), Dalmatians (obviously) and even the Neo.Mastiff. That's why I'm real nervous with these new "Eight Below" and "The Shaggy Dog" movies coming out.
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/index.html?dlink=eightbelow
People already buy based on looks, and with concern for Huskies and Malamutes popping up everywhere in the area -- the rescue I work with, a couple of my friends/coworkers, and myself are attempting a preemptive strike starting tomorrow.
We've made fliers on computers, with pictures in color ( :cool: ) and as much research before you buy information we could without being too much. There's going to be a presentation for the kids and parents (if they show up!) with live dogs, tricks & training, and information on Friday at the day care I work at. Next Friday is another one at another day care, same chain, different city. And (I'm so excited!) two of the local elementary schools said that we could possibly present to them in their auditoriums!
I just feel like it really isn't enough. I think contacting a local Husky/Malamute rescue would be a good idea, and I'm going to run that by everybody tomorrow. I'm nervous, real nervous, that it's not going to help. Any other ideas?

Besides pushing my sleeves up and getting ready to take in an arctic breed foster? :eek:

Great work!

I'd say contacting the local humane society (which will bear the brunt of dumped dogs) and seeing about working with them, maybe running some articles in the paper, composing some pamphlets with some statistics and information about the effect of movies and the subsequent popularity on both the breeds and the individual dogs . . .

Brattina88

Thanks, Renee. Good ideas. I hadn't thought about the newspaper, I think that will reach an audience because that's where many people look to buy (from BYB's). We're already working with the protective league (our "HS") but I fear that the dog pound is going to be taking in most of the dogs dumped (this is often where my little group gets their dogs and calls me to foster)

I'm nervous because I feel like we're finally over the Taco Bell dog craze ... and that was NOT fun.

You should've seen the presentation that was set up at the day care. Dogs and kids are SO cute together. My boss finally talked me into using Maddie the day before. We utilized our intimidating maintenance guy to come and pet Maddie, who submissive urinated to demonstrate the realities of taking care of a dog (the pleasant and not so pleasant). I was really embarrassed, but parents approached me afterwards and said it was awesome because their kids knew that they weren't ready for a dog. And they complimented how beautiful Maddie was. I didn't want to take Maddie to the other day care when the others present, but I don't think I have a choice now.
My coworkers Malamute/Rodd mix was the star of the show however.

Yes all Sibe enthusiasts are worried about this movie coming out. We got lucky with Snow Dogs, not much increase in the demand on Sibes, but we'll see what this movie does.

I've been thinking that too...people will think "Hey, that dog is cute, I want it!" :( I keep seeing border collies all over in commercials and such, I'm praying soooo hard they won't become a very popular breed.

joce

One of the dog guys first trainers ran a husky rescue,but I wouldn't know how to get ahold of him. I was worried about it when the last movie came out with the sledding dogs but thank god I didn't see an increase. You can always write into the chronicles opinion page,they are great with printing stuff. I've done it a couple times about people coming out here and dropping there dogs of. (and I've been thinking of writing one about the poor dogs at the mall pet store). Good luck though,I'm sure you wil do great!

yoko

I've been thinking that too...people will think "Hey, that dog is cute, I want it!" I keep seeing border collies all over in commercials and such, I'm praying soooo hard they won't become a very popular breed.
where do you live? i live in oklahoma and around here they're a pretty popular dog. a ton of people i know have them.

Members online