Daddy/mommy or owner/handler?

Doberluv

I not only talk for my dogs, I talk for all the dogs at work and all the animals at my other work :rofl:

My entire family has always talked for the pets...maybe we're just odd ;)
If you're odd, then there are a lot of us who are odd also. Everyone I know talks for the dogs. "Chulita says, *fill in the blank*. They give you a glaring look or something, so you say something for them. LOL. It's funny.:D

Catsi

In public, I refer to myself as their 'owner' or 'I have' two gorgeous dog, or 'I live with' two ratbags depending on the mood lol.

Around the house, I am known simply as mum. I'm a chatterer. Spend a lot of time talking nonsense with the dogs. :) And I like to sing stupid songs. Poor dogs. I'd never subject people to that.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
We are mum and dad, but they are definitely not our children.....!!!

We are a family though :)

Lyzelle

We are a family, Zander is like a toddler in many ways, but he isn't my child. I am, however, deh mommy. And DH is deh daddy. Easier than names.

In public I say "I have a...".

Equinox

At home, I use "puppydog" and very occasionally "baby" when talking to Trent directly, or idly directing a comment at him. I also occasionally refer to myself as "Mommy" but rarely. If I think about it, I honestly don't think I refer to myself in relation to Trent at all, not at home anyway.

Outside and online he is my dog, and I am his owner and handler. He's my pet and my property and it doesn't bother me to think of him as such.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Informally, we joke around and call me the dog's "mummy" and they're my "kids" but that's just with family and at the clinic. Formally, I prefer owner/handler or just plain companion.

Actually I have just now decided my dogs are my companions. Because my car is the TARDIS. So I travel in the TARDIS with my companions :rofl1:
^^ This is why I love you and your posts :D

I don't refer to myself as anything. I can't think of a time when I've said that I'm Suzies owner, mom, partner...etc

Whenever something like that comes up I just say, "She's mine." Or ours if I'm with the rest of the family

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
I don't LOVE the whole parent/child dog thing. To me it's a totally different relationship, more-so than the fact that they aren't children.. to me it's more of a partnership than parent/child.
It's not insulting dogs to say they aren't kids, heck, if anything I'm GLAD they are nothing like kids lol I just think the relationship is very different. Not necessarily closer or better.. just different.

I don't like furkids.. the term just skeeves me out a bit lol
^ This.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We always refer to ourselves as mommy/daddy but I can't say we treat the dogs like we treat Hannah. We are aleays referring to each other or ourselves as Mommy or daddy so really it just happens but I don't say to people "i am belles mommy" but if belle is being a pain in the arse i will say "go bug daddy". LOL i don't refer to them as my kids. I call them my dogs.

I am definitely not their handler though lol we kind of just co exsist.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Also, when they're being naughty, I say, "Okay, children, break it up." I think that stems from me breaking up my siblings arguements, or saying, "Okay, children" when my grown friends are being idiots. LOL

And Apollo is "The Baby". Whenever I see him I say, "Hi, 'sa baby!" in a squeaky, high pitched voice and he responds with a "Brrrrrp!" or "Meoow" and comes over to me. <3

mrose_s

BusterLove
At home I am Mum. My sister is Auntie, my mother is Grandma. Outside the house I am owner.
When we are working I am working her. I dont really use the term handling unlesa referring to someone else working her.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't know that I refer to myself much. I do tell them that momma loves them. I know that's so sappy, lol.

I tend to refer to them as The Stinkbutts, The Brats, 'Hey guys!' is also often said, if they're in trouble it's 'Miss Mia' (Well Summer never gets in trouble). I never call them kids. If I talk to people about them I just say 'my dogs'

Xandra

In conversation I usually just say "he's mine."

If I have to come up with a term though, I'm his owner. I am not his mommy and he definitely is NOTTT my "furkid."

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Each of our dogs totally has their own voice. Haha :rofl1:
Ours too! Can't really describe Sally's well but Jack sounds a lot like Butters from South Park. The cats have squeaky meowy voices and the birds have voices too (well, Yoda literally does).

We refer to each other as mommy and daddy at home. My mom is "nana." My friend who bird sits for us is referred to as "Aunt Krista" in relation to the birds and my friend Ann is Aunt Ann to the dogs. When talking to the dogs we often refer to the other dog as "your brother" or "your sister." The cats are their "sister kittehs" and the birds are their "feathered brethren." We refer to Sally as a "pibble" at home as well. When referring to both of them I call them "the doggles."

In public they are "my dogs" "the dogs" or if I'm talking about everyone they are "the animals" or the critters." I do refer to myself as their owner.

I don't like terms like furkids or fids (feathered kids) and never use them.

Doberluv

We always refer to ourselves as mommy/daddy but I can't say we treat the dogs like we treat Hannah. We are aleays referring to each other or ourselves as Mommy or daddy so really it just happens but I don't say to people "i am belles mommy" but if belle is being a pain in the arse i will say "go bug daddy". LOL i don't refer to them as my kids. I call them my dogs.

I am definitely not their handler though lol we kind of just co exsist.
I think it may be different with moms and dads who have real children. I mean...human children. It's like this: Our names ARE Mommy and Daddy. :p

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I refer to Millie and Fable as "my dogs" or "the girls."
They're much more than "my dogs," though, but that's the best terminology. I see everything we do together as just that. They're my partners. I know I'm getting into semantics here, but I don't feel I walk them, I feel we go for walks together.
They're not my children or furkids. My dogs and I are a team, watching out for each other. And since Fable's the youngster of this trio, Millie and I keep a special eye out for her.

I have a feeling I derailed on my point and made myself sound a little crazy. *shrug*

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I am their "Mum". They are sometimes called (by others)my kids, my babies, furbabies, children, etc. Outside of the home I am still their "Mum". Do I treat them like actual children/babies, or think they're the equivalent of kids? No.

Gatsby and Marsh are the boys. One day I was visiting my grandmother at the nursing home and telling her I was going to take the boys to the park, and it occurred to me that people listening probably thought I was talking about my children.

I usually use owner or handler, also because many of the people I know own some dogs and handle other dogs so it's the best way of communicating the difference. Mom/dad doesn't bother me, and I use parenting metaphors a lot in my training classes (because parenting IMO is a good metaphor, good parenting attends to the child/dog's needs not what makes the parent feel good). Fur kids and variations squick me the heck out. They're dogs. They are people, but they aren't human.

Members online

No members online now.