Strange Question

BooDog

Was curious if anyone could answer it for me. This morning I was taking my Chihuahua, her name is Boo, out for a walk. I saw someone else walking their dog and passed by. He asked "Boy or Girl?" I replied girl. He then asked me if she was in heat, and I replied no, that she had been fixed. He said that even dogs who have been fixed get their period and go in heat.

I was curious if anyone has ever heard of this and how this can be? I could only imagine that there are certain times that dogs can release more pheromones even after being fixed, but I really don't know. I always thought the catalyst for this was the actual bleeding and such.

Anyway, just curious. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

showpug

BooDog said:
Was curious if anyone could answer it for me. This morning I was taking my Chihuahua, her name is Boo, out for a walk. I saw someone else walking their dog and passed by. He asked "Boy or Girl?" I replied girl. He then asked me if she was in heat, and I replied no, that she had been fixed. He said that even dogs who have been fixed get their period and go in heat.

I was curious if anyone has ever heard of this and how this can be? I could only imagine that there are certain times that dogs can release more pheromones even after being fixed, but I really don't know. I always thought the catalyst for this was the actual bleeding and such.

Anyway, just curious. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
The person who told you that was totally misinformed. Female dogs that have been "fixed" (spayed) never go into heat again, they can't. During the surgery the uterus and the ovaries are fully removed leaving the dog with no possible way to go into season/heat.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That is one very confused and uninformed person! My guess is that years ago he or a family member had a dog that was supposed to be spayed and actually wasn't and they ended up with a litter.

actually I have heard of a spayed dog still cycling,The vet did not remove all of the Ovaries and uterus.So they had to go back in and get the rest.After the secong spay no more heat cycles.

Members online

No members online now.