Stank Ears

SarahFair

Ok so I was reading in a post that a dog can stink cause of a diet..
Well the other day I was playing with my dogs ears (flipping them back and forth) and the HORRIBLE stetch filled the air..
I mean GOOD GOD IT SMELLED..
Is it because of her diet? I have been feeding her the same thing for months now and never anything like this..
Or do I need to just clean her ears out?
How do I do that?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Has she been shaking her head or scratching at her ears? A sudden, bad smell coming from her ear could indicate an ear infection. If her ear looks red or inflamed, take her to the vet.

brown ear wax can also be a symptom of ear infection, although dogs do have earwax just like people, a noticeable amount might be a sign of a problem. If there is a 'coffee grounds' look to the earwax, this is a symptom of ear mites...the earwax mixes with blood and the mites themselves, and looks like brown or black specks in the ear. The smell is something I'd be concerned about if you're sure it's coming from the ears...are you sure the smell definitely came from her ears, or could she have just farted at the same time you were playing with her ears? Lol...sounds funny I know, but mine defintely have their 'silent but deadly' moments :D

If you bathe her, make sure you dry her ears really well and try not to let water run inside them...this can cause an ear infection, and if she already has one, it would probably make it worse!

SarahFair

No its not her farts (I know them) its a def waxy smell..
Well Im not home right now but I will look at it again..
It wasnt alot of wax just some here and some there

sam

Their ears should not stink and yes you should clean them out. Some dogs get chronic yeat infections in their ears and need regualr ear cleaning - it's often breeds with long ears like spaniels but it can happen in other breeds as well. Poor diet can exacerbate an ear problem so they say but you can have adog eating a good diet who still has ear troubles.

Yes, the ears should be cleaned. You can buy these pads at the pet store to easily do that.

Ears ARE gross :)D) so smelling stank isn't a new thing, haha.

showpug

Your dog's ears should not smell bad. They should appear clean and dry without wax if they are in healthy condition.

If they smell bad or if there is excessive waxy debris then it IS a sign of a problem. Dogs VERY rarely get ear mites. That is more of a cat issue.

It is important to clean your dog's ears regularly to keep them healthy. Diet also plays a role.

Here are some of the ear cleansers that work very well:
http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=16-025
http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=26-052
http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=26-055

You simple squirt the solution into the ear, massage the base of the ear, allow your dog to shake out excess solution and then dry with a cotton ball or pad.

showpug

If they aren't red and she isn't scratching at them and the smell doesn't return then she's probably fine, just watch her closely. AND...make sure you clean them out at least once a week and ALWAYS after bathing and swimming.

ejabarnes

you need some ear cleaner and clean the ear every day to stop build up of wax which causes alot of ear problems such as infections which can become very nasty you squirt a little into the ear not going to far down into the canal and massage if the ear is not getting beter than take to the vets for some anti biotics always read the label on any product

Members online

No members online now.