OMG Wolf/Pit cross

kitcatak

Chow Chow Lover
Ok, I got an email notification saying gempress posted and your message, but when I come on here, it is a totally different message!!!

kitkat, I was wondering. You said your hybrid passed away 4 months after you got him. So, about 8 months old. Have you ever had a fully adult hybrid?

I know you mentioned that your hybrid was sweet and wonderful, which I don't doubt. Not to be a downer, but that may be because he wasn't mature.
The big problem with hybrids is that as puppies, they act extremely similar to dogs. But when they reach maturity at 1-2 years of age, their adult wolflike temperaments set in.

That was what happened to my Odin. As a puppy, he was wonderful. Frighteningly smart, obedient and loved absolutely everyone. That all changed when he hit a year old. Almost overnight, he became extremely shy of all strangers, developed severe dominance issues, and worst of all, became aggressive over any type of perceived threat. We tried to work through his issues, only to learn that there wasn't that much we could do. His issues weren't "dog behavior problems", they were natural wolf temperament. Hybrid owners must understand that if their pet has inherited a wolf temperament, they will never, ever be pets. Responsible hybrid owners understand this, and usually keep their animals as if they are in a zoo: with other hybrids, behind high fences, and outdoors".

I'm glad that your hybrid was such a great experience for you. But that is not always the case. It all depends on what temperment the wolfdog has inherited. And that is something that no one can predict.

In this case, the dog looks like it's fully adult. Even if it is (although I find it unlikely) a hybrid, it's doubtful that its temperament will change at this age. It would probably still make a great pet.
It was the 98% hybrid that died after a few months, not mine. Frosty was 2.5 when we gave him back to the breeder. We were in a bind to find a place to live and couldn't find one that would let us have dogs. Money talks and we didn't have any at the time. Frosty & Twilight even had a litter of puppies. They were still great animals at that age. I will say that they were never obedient! Frosty was stranger shy from day one (4 months) and as I stated before, Twilight was always more "doggy" then "wolflike". This is just my experience with hybrids. Frosty didn't like men with baseball hats or that smelled of alcohol (we think he was abused by someone while the kennel owners were on vacation that fits the baseball hat, alcohol description!). He was leary of strangers but never growled or was aggressive towards anyone. Twilight liked everyone. They were kept chained in the back yard. This was because 1. They hated it inside and refused to live there. 2. They could jump the fence and it was for their own good. We unchained them every day when we were in the yard with them and when we walked them or just ran around the yard playing chase with them. We did treat them like "wolves" because that is pretty much what they were. We didn't treat them like we treat Leo now. We gave them treats and such, but we didn't let people go to them without us. Just common sense to us from our research.

I don't know if the picture (from op) shows a hybrid or not. He does look very friendly though and really big! Anyway, my point is, if he is a good dog, why does it matter if he is a hybrid or not?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Oh, sorry kitcat! I posted that without reading your other posts. I saw on your other posts that you did have another hybrid, which answered my question, so I edited up my post.

I do agree with the fact that if the OP has a good adult dog, it doesn't matter if he's a hybrid.

R

rottiegirl

kitcatak said:
Yes, the other dog is also a hybrid. I find it odd that you say wolves and high percentage highbreds are born black. I find it to be the opposite. While there are wolves born black, the majority are a lighter color. Here is a link of some wolf cub pictures.

http://www.everythingwolf.com/gallery/gallerylist.aspx?CategoryID=4
Pure wolves and high contents are born black (or very dark gray). Even Arctics, who eventually turn white, are dark at birth. Dogs are born in a variety of colors.... http://www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/whate/whate1.html#considerations The pictures of the puppies in your link are too old. They changed color already.

kitcatak

Chow Chow Lover
I have no idea what Frosty looked like when he was born, I didn't see him until he was about 3 months old. I imagine Twilight was black as she still was as an adult.

Gempress- Oh, good! I thought I was losing my mind!! lol

TroyF

Saje said:
That's not true Troy. Many people assume that a dog is a wolf hybrid because it ran off and bred in a remote area or wherever but it's much more likely it's mixed with husky, malamute, ... whatever.
This is my point exactly. Sorry, it got confused, communicating an idea can be difficult for me at times.. I personally wouldn't believe 98% of the people who claim to have a wolf cross. I mean who's going back and checking mix breeds and where is the pedigree to prove it? You wouldn't believe the dogs I've seen that the idiot owner is standing in front of me telling me it's a wolf. For the two people out of every thousand that are sure they have a 2% pit bull 17.8% tiger, 3.2% min pin and 77% wolf hybrid I apologize in advance. Anyway, I kind of forgot about this post and wanted to comment.

R

rottiegirl

kitcatak said:
I have no idea what Frosty looked like when he was born, I didn't see him until he was about 3 months old. I imagine Twilight was black as she still was as an adult.

Gempress- Oh, good! I thought I was losing my mind!! lol
Ok, I just thought you might have sinse they need socializing at such a young age.

R

rottiegirl

TroyF said:
This is my point exactly. Sorry, it got confused, communicating an idea can be difficult for me at times.. I personally wouldn't believe 98% of the people who claim to have a wolf cross. I mean who's going back and checking mix breeds and where is the pedigree to prove it? You wouldn't believe the dogs I've seen that the idiot owner is standing in front of me telling me it's a wolf. For the two people out of every thousand that are sure they have a 2% pit bull 17.8% tiger, 3.2% min pin and 77% wolf hybrid I apologize in advance. Anyway, I kind of forgot about this post and wanted to comment.
I completely agree. My parents got a puppy that was supposed to be wolf/lab and it turned put to be lab/chow.

Members online

No members online now.