Ozzy could use some vibes.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Good luck at the vet today! (((HUGS)))

Maybe you could put some chicken wire up the fence, something with smaller openings, just in case the dogs are out together again?

I agree with talking to them calmly and level headed, which is not an easy thing to do. I would not bring up your mom shooting the dog again- if you guys are friends with the neighbors, even if they do feel bad, that might make the defensive. I hope they are truly sorry and will do their best to prevent anything like this happening in the future.

CD, if it's a line fence, it's not exclusively his or yours. A line fence becomes, in large part, both parties' responsibility and a shared expense. If it's not a line fence, if your family decides to put up a solid fence, seriously consider making it a line fence.

Poor Oz :(

And I feel badly for the other dog, too, oddly. Can you imagine going through that kind of anxiety every time something approaches the fence?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Yeah, he is very anxious in the yard right now. It's hard for him to use the bathroom to poop and he's squatting to pee again.

We kept an eye on it today, but it was even more swollen when I changed his bandage this afternoon. I called the vet and got an appointment for tomorrow for him. I'm pretty sure it's broken. His dew claw seems to be what's hurting him the most, but that doesn't explain why he doesn't want to put his foot down, and he yelps if I try to manipulate it now. I'm giving him some buffered aspirin in a few minutes, I hope that helps him.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I hope it's not broken, but yeah. When Jake broke his toe, it slowly swelled up to the point where we thought he needed to see a vet and sure enough it was broken.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Vibes for Ozzy.
We had to redo our side fence in a house we lived in 4 years ago. Teh dogs nextdoor constantly picked fights, we couldn't work out where all these nips and missing fur was coming from on Sophie. Eventually we figured it was nextdoors staffyX sticking her face throught eh fence and nipping. Eventually Sophie grabbed her back, we didn't know about break sticks or anything and she wasn't letting go. We ended up just jamming her into the fence as hard as we could till she let go to stop her from pulling. She actually did a lot of damage, they didn't ask us to pay vet bills and we didn't offer.
They DID cal the council on us, a ranger came around, we introduced him to Sophie, he relsied she was just a big friendly oaf and also looked at the fence and relised there was no way she could fit her big fat nose through it to grab a dog. We just put plastic palets all up along the fence. Well actually next door did after we ripped into them a bit.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh, I forgot to mention it is a line fence. It's also been there for as long as I've been alive, so it is their property line now anyway. I'm not sure how we're going to fence it, since part of it is on a stone wall, and I'd like to put up a five foot privacy fence.

He's got an appointment at 5 tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what the dr says.

~Tucker&Me~

Poor Ozzie :( Hope he feels better soon.

I do think though, that both parties are responsible. I mean you guys were aware that this dog had issues and didn't do anything to improve the barrier or keep the dogs away from the unreliable fence. At the same time, neither did they.

I would go with Jess' suggestion. Go over and have a calm chat and try to figure out a solution to the fence problem.

Sending healing vibes your way :)

ACooper

Sending vibes for a good appointment and healing :(

Poor Oz, I hope it's not broken

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The fence isn't unreliable at all. It's just a four foot chain link fence. The other dog that was coming through to our yard is not the dog that attacked Ozzy. They also found the hole that he was coming through, and it's patched up now, but we really had no clue that this other dog would do anything like that. She's a Lab, and she's met Enzo, they've played together, etc.

I've seen the dog grab trees and stuff when she sees our dogs out, but our dogs have been very good about leaving the fence alone. I don't know how his foot went through the fence, I wasn't there. He's a small dog, and the only way to make the fence better there is to put up a privacy fence, which I am planning on doing. His whole leg fit through the chain link though, and I mean, chain link comes in one size.

I'm just really really thankful that the other dogs didn't start attacking his leg as well. Theres five of them, and if they had, I'm sure Oz would be a tripod permanently now.

Doberluv

Poor Ozzie. That sounds so painful! I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. He will probably need a tetanus shot and antibiotics too.

As far as the legalities, I don't really know. But if Ozzy put his foot through to their side of the fence...into their yard, I don't see how it is their fault or responsibility. Their dog saw an "intruder." (your dog's foot) And "protected" his territory. (granted, an over-the-top reaction, but dogs will be dogs) I think if your Mom would shoot their dog, she'd be in a lot of trouble. I agree that the best thing is to talk over a solution to making the fence solid. Or, if they don't do something, you could put something, at least as far up as necessary to block Ozzie from being able to stick his foot through.

I hope he'll be okay and will heal up soon. Poor guy.:(

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am so sorry. Vibes for a speedy heal. Rubs ears for Owies.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Well, the long bones they didn't think were broken, but they felt like his toes might be. They didn't want to xray because of the cost, and the fact that it's not really an area that get's casted or splinted.

He's on antibiotics for the next ten days, and we're leaving it open to air, so he's in the cone of shame. :p

Doberluv

Oh good. It sounds like he's going to mend pretty well probably. Glad nothing big was broken.

I know dogs are more resistant to tetanus than say....horses. I think cats are too. (?)But they can still get tetanus, from my understanding. And if they have a bad, gaping, dirty wound, it never hurts to give a shot then....I may be wrong, but that's what I was told once. Maybe some vet was just trying to rip me off even more. LOL.

Give poor little conehead Ozzie an extra special treat from me. :)

Saeleofu

I've never heard of giving a dog a tetanus shot. We don't even carry them at the clinic I work at.

Poor Ozzy, I hope the antibiotics help :p As long as the weight-bearing toes aren't broken, "cage" rest is really all you can do. We do have a minpin that's been coming in that had all 4 toes on a back leg broken (got stepped on) and that dog needs splints.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
He's getting extra special lovin's from everyone. The neighbor offered to pay for the vet visit. I declined because it was only 73 dollars and some change. If it had been more than that, then I would have accepted, but I'd prefer to preserve my friendship with them than get a little money back.

He had about HALF of my moms chinese food tonight, because she kept playing ring toss with his cone, lol. He was too happy to oblige her trying to toss the food in it :p

And I think it's the two inside toes that are the most messed up. You can manipulate the two outer digits, but he's very very unhappy about the middle two.

Members online