What do you think of these guys...

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Mini Aussies are not a "designer dog". They are a pure, registered breed. Im not sure if they are registered with the AKC, but I do know the Canadian Kennel Club recongizes them and Tucker is Canadian anyway lol.

Boemy

Are you sure? I can't find them in the CKC's breed descriptions. :/

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Morrie is adorable! =D

I was looking into Mini Aussies, and I became friends with a really awesome local breeder (http://www.kissmekennels.com). I would definitely be interested in one of her pups someday! I also used to feel that Mini Aussies were a fad, because I had only seen 2 or 3 from pet stores with domed skulls and bulgy eyes (no doubt these were mixes). Until, last year, I met a ton of Mini Aussies & their owners through herding classes, and I really fell in love with the breed. They were all well-bred, beautiful dogs, who could work MUCH better than the big over excited (show bred) Aussies in class. I was initially looking for a working Aussie breeder with dogs on the lower end of the standard, but there were absolutely none to be found in the state... there are few working Aussie breeders as it is, much less breeding at the very end of the standard (18"). Australian Shepherds are absolutely being bred much larger as a whole, I see more 60-70 lb Aussies than anything these days. I also like that the Mini club really emphasizes herding ability.

I think the breeder does look awesome. :) Check them out further, talk to them, meet the dogs, etc. I would definitely prefer the dogs to work routinely, if not daily, beyond HIC's; and some conformation titles as well.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
Thank you, ihartgonzo. I was lucky to get those two shots when I had a friend with a camera that made me drool visiting from the UK this summer! He is out of coat right now, looks just awful so I don't think you'll get any recent photos until his "bum fluff" grows back in! :)

Jynx

I know quite a few people who own/breed mini aussies. I personally don't have a problem with them IF they are responsible in their breeding programs.
As Muggie's Mom said, there is good and bad in every breed, this one being no exception.

I also agree that the toy aussies is something to watch more carefully, they sometimes throw in pomeranian to get a smaller size, but end up with snipey head sets.

I have standard aussies, both on the low end of the size for standards, but standard aussies are not that tight with their size requirements. They would rather see a small or large well balanced dog in other areas.

I love my aussies and one day will go with a smaller version. Some say, the mini's are more laid back, not so, they are just as driven, comical and everything else as a "standard" aussie in a smaller package.

By the way, Morrie is gorgeous, as well as Jake on the OP's site posted.
Diane

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
Jynx - thank you for input from a standard aussie owner. :)

I have found that Morrie is actually EXCEPTIONALLY laid back, especially for a pup (he is about 10 months old) - he is very deliberate and slow in our agility classes, for the most part, but occasionally, it's like someone has turned his switch "on!", and he gets moving and a little out of control. He is also only really motivated by food and tennis balls (he is a tennis ball freak), but it does take a little work on MY part to get him "energetic" -- he does play with the two little girls that we have quite voraciously, lol - maybe he is so laid back with me because he exhausts himself playing with Zoey and Gypsy!

Members online

No members online now.