Shear advice

I am fairly new to grooming and need some shear advice mainly about what the difference in between different shear edge types. I was taught basically there are straights and curves, but since i started shopping for some new shears to buy sometime in the future, i noticed there are some differences in the edges of the shears, so if anyone can enlighten me on what purpose these different edges offer please pass the knowledge :D

convex
semi-convex
beveled

these are the only ones ive run into, but if there are more, tell me some about those too

Last edited:

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
all thought I am a dog groomer, and I can tell you about much anything else... i cannot help you out on that! My boss lady orders shears and I honestly do not know what the edges are! LOL

i did want to share with you that our cheapest shears are our FAV! Its funny, she had to order extra CHEAP shears because we kept fighting over who gets to use them.
they are FROMM blue handled curved shears, and the best thing in the world IMO

its funny that we both had a nice pair of 300-400 dollar shears setting in front of us and we are fighting over the 30 dollar pair

D'tailsDogGrooming

Professional Groomer

Convex edge shears are designed to give a straighter cut and maintain sharpness longer. This edge is found in more expensive shears and does cost more when you need to get them sharpened. Be sure you sharpener knows how to sharpen convex edges! I know many who have forgotten this and have ruined their shears.

Beveled edge shears are the standard and a tied and true shear. These shears tend to be more affordable.

Members online

No members online now.