Tricks and Training

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Yay Classic!!! He's looking really nice.

And Zinga looks like she's LOVING her training!

Kimma was still EXHAUSTED from the show-n-go we went to yesterday (which is crazy to me because this dog is like NEVER tired it seems), so we only did a bit of heelwork in the yard for training today. I've added the leash because having it on in the ring yesterday threw her off quite a bit... I sort of talk about it a little here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172134

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46kpc1KBArk

JacksonsMom

Lol, Elsie has the best expression ever.

And omg nice handstand, FinkieMom!

Zinga is soo into the heeling, I love it.

FG167

Aaaand some puppy heeling. She's a little forward in this video, I blame that on the raw meat reward, LOL. Either way, I'm happy with her progress and we are going to start adding more linear heeling in there soon.
She is so cute, and enthusiastic - and quiet!

I think your hand placement is throwing her position off. Do you compete in obedience? In AKC? (I am asking b/c I do IPO and the body position is different than for AKC) I would try to put your hand wherever you are going to have it for "real" heeling. AKA, if you are going to be holding a leash anchored to your left hip, put your hand/lure at your left hip and leave your other hand loose. I think that will scoot her back a smidge and it will make the picture more cohesive. Hope you don't mind my thoughts...

She is very animated and has wonderful body awareness. She looks marvelous!

SaraB

She is so cute, and enthusiastic - and quiet!

I think your hand placement is throwing her position off. Do you compete in obedience? In AKC? (I am asking b/c I do IPO and the body position is different than for AKC) I would try to put your hand wherever you are going to have it for "real" heeling. AKA, if you are going to be holding a leash anchored to your left hip, put your hand/lure at your left hip and leave your other hand loose. I think that will scoot her back a smidge and it will make the picture more cohesive. Hope you don't mind my thoughts...

She is very animated and has wonderful body awareness. She looks marvelous!
Good point. However, I'm expecting that she can have a heel no matter where my hand is, so that's what I'll train for. She's forward in this because she's over excited for the reward, which is fine. We are working that heel position is where my leg is and she's getting it! :)

JacksonsMom

No video yet, but tonight I started working on getting Jackson to stand up against the wall (forwards - like you would if you were being arrested, LOL) and cued it "arms up" - I couldn't think of anything better. But I was shocked how freakin' quick he caught on. Within 20 seconds, he totally understand what I wanted and was consecutively placing both paws on the wall. I think it's going to be a cute one!

SaraB

No video yet, but tonight I started working on getting Jackson to stand up against the wall (forwards - like you would if you were being arrested, LOL) and cued it "arms up" - I couldn't think of anything better. But I was shocked how freakin' quick he caught on. Within 20 seconds, he totally understand what I wanted and was consecutively placing both paws on the wall. I think it's going to be a cute one!
Can't wait to see the video!! I've wanted to teach that forever!

Sekah

The Monster.
I'm having a bit of trouble teaching Cohen to hug a stuffed toy while sitting up, and could use some help troubleshooting it.

She's not a very handsy dog, so it's been tough trying to get her to grasp it. She'll hook her hands around a pole (like a broom) but she doesn't really understand how to actually support the toy's weight. Right now I'm doing most of the weight supporting myself. I'll hold it up for her to grasp and feed her while she maintains position. When I stop holding the toy, gravity takes over.

I figure I'll just keep plugging away at it, but I'm all ears if people have any ideas. Ultimately I'd like for her to hold the toy up to her chest on her own, or even walk around with it on her back legs.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T2ZNmepey3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is longer than it should be but I didn't feel like editing it. Didgie's brain has left the building and we're working on cultivating a little self control around toys again. So far the down can be held but the barking can not be contained.

Ohhhh herding dogs.

Working on Frog with Didgie. The idea really seemed to click with her this training session this morning, hopefully we'll have it soon!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ANk_-Qzvbjo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Hahaha I was away in Missouri for 4 days last weekend LOL. I'm working on getting Kimma to roll up in a towel (to the cue, "Be a burrito!") but we're still working on holding the corner of the towel for more duration (only had 2 sessions thus far). All shaping.

Bubbles is learning down (yes, I'm a bad dog owner and hadn't taught her that yet - I had been much more concerned with her standing properly for conformation showing and LLW LOL), Pentti and T are doing more heel work, impulse control with throwing toys/balls, and perch work. Nothing super exciting to tape there :)

FG167

Kastle is working on the backward weaving still. It's a slow process. He is flawless in flipping into position but he still needs the lure to help him get there. He really likes it though so once he understands how to do it on his own I think it will look really good.

Limit is learning sit and down (he's teething so I'm not doing a ton with him right now, he's bleeding all over everything) and trying to teach him to actually retrieve instead of chasing and then running around with his trophy in a victory lap, dropping it 10 yards away and barking at me to come and get it. LOL I love him. He's learned how to scratch on a box at work and also how to pivot smoothly on the perch.

Eden is just being Eden :) We've had a lot of fosters come through since we moved (been here 1 month and had 5 dogs come through on short term basis) and she's also traveled across the states with me, visiting family/friends and collecting dogs we've bought for work. She's just a social butterfly so nothing too new with her. I *am* trying to clean up her box turn and make it more consistent for her flyball tournament in October.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
(cue Erin running around like a headless chicken)

I just sent this to the head trainer guy at schutzhund club, it's a list of stuff related to getting Kes ready for his IPO-V in 8 weeks. o_O

Tracking requirement: 200 pace track with one turn, handler laid, article at the end, dog at 10yds from handler, immediately run
Our current tasks:
- fade food completely
- increase distance from handler
- add article to track

Obedience requirement:
- On-lead heeling with a 30 pace straight, about turn, one right and one left, two gun shots fired 15 paces and at least 5 seconds apart
- On-lead heel through a *moving* group
- Off-lead heeling with a 30 pace straight, about turn, one right and one left
- Down with Recall
- Retrieve
- Jump
- Down with distraction

Our current tasks:
- ensure he's ok with gunshots
- practice with the moving group
- work more on our delivery/hold for the retrieve
- work on coming straight back over the jump
- proof down with distraction

Protection requirement:
- bark and hold (dog sent from 20 paces with helper out of sight, handler retrieves dog during the b&h by taking the collar)
- escape bite (handler holding collar)
- attack on handler from 20 paces (handler holding collar)
- side transport for 10 paces

Our current tasks:
- acclimate Kes to me walking up and taking his collar in the blind
- start training side transport (!)
- fade the line throughout
Annnnnd working on getting Aeri BH ready since her brain has returned on the field finally. I may be insane....

Members online

No members online now.