Smkie, how is poor victor?

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
I have just been so worried about your boy. There is something so tragic about a baby losing a piece of his innocence. It breaks my heart to know that anyone should be afraid of something they once loved. In a small way it takes a bit of joy away from the people around them, since so much happiness can be found in surrounding oneself by innocence. for a moment you can recapture what it is to be pure and sweet and whole, even if just for a little while. I think it is the reason so many people adore holding newborn infants. But anyway, sorry about that, in a bit of a funk today. How is Vic? Is he doing better? I am praying that it is so. Such a sweet boy. Good luck.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
He is better..i have made it a point to walk him right past Onyx's house..(with a mean switch in my hand just in case) so he will think that if i am not afraid..maybe he won't need to be either. I also wanted to be prepared if Onyx did come out to show her I wont tolerate her attacking him..in a situation where i was prepared..not across the yard where i cant reach her. I wasn't sure if it would work but i think it did indeed help his confidence. Today he played freely and happily with Logan in the yard..he still will not be tied on the porch..and will not be outside alone..not even with Logan, i tried to go inside and Mary followed me so he stopped chasing bubbles and shot straight inside (he's no fool). Thank you so much for asking..and caring. I feel exactly the same way about a child (and pup's) right to feel safe in their own enviroment and their innocense is so precious.
Sunnypup..sorry about the funk, been in one myself. Got a call from a woman i babysat as a child. I haven't seen her for a decade and ran into her at the park. SHe is in a terrible place in life and it just completely broke my heart. I am going over Friday to help her get her lawn mowed and see what we can do to get her car going. I talked to her today so i feel minutely better about the situation. She has two small children and is going thru a divorce, broken car, problems from every direction. THere never was a sweeter child ...My Mary dog is named after her. She has no one to fall back on, and i wanted her to be my daughter so badly back then. She told me I was a mother to her...and i am going to try to be now. It made me so sad to hear she was like this..she deserves way better from this life. I hope your knee is better my friend..wish there was something i could do to make a smile on your face..hugs to you and the dear Sunniest of pups!

Last edited:
Keep working with him it would be a shame for him not be be as confident as he looks in those pictures youve posted.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
it makes me feel so good that you all care for my little rescue pup. I want to thank you all straight from my heart. Hugs! Mom says he is a different kind of dog..very human acting..even when he sleeps she says he lays like a child or a person would. I feel so fortunate..especially when Bronki was my life..and then torn away so young. Victor coming to me..when i had no money..to be given to me and the adoption fee waved..Mary's acceptance of him and then the joy i now see in her as they cuddle and play. I can't imagine her without Victor. He has not replaced bronki in the least, but lifted me and Mary from our sorrow and restored us to happy life. I like to think that Bronki would approve..I hope we have his blessing.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
aww Smkie how could we NOT love him, the way you describe him and the way he has helped you and you being as awesome as you are! I feel like if I were to meet you and vic on the street we would hit it right off. As for human like behavior I think I know what you mean, and Sunnypup came into my life right when I needed HIM too. Never a replacement for Hunter (or my ooooold girl Dixie dog for that matter) but someone to help fill in the hurt spots with someone else to love and hold.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I know we would hit it off..i think we are cut from the same cloth my friend

gapeach

Big Mutts
Glad to hear Vic is building up some confidence, poor guy. Carey was similar after she got bit by a neighbor dog. She used to run them out of our yard(no matter how I called her back :rolleyes: ) But after she got bit, she would see them coming and run to me. The big dog that bit her is gone now, but if I was a lesser person I would let her go after the lil one that still comes around just to get some of her confidence back (yes I know that would be stupid, that's why it was just a thought) It's just sad that my own dog can't be in her yard without her/me worrying.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
it is sad!!!! i am sorry your pup was bitten. This neighborhood of mine is getting worse and worse about letting their dogs go. Poor Logan was chased into his own house and scratched up too!.......(and i am glad you don't let her chase them) afraid i am not as good about that. i let Mary charge that dang sharpeii mix out of our garage and yard on a regular basis. I am sick of his eating the cat's food and tearing up our trash...(as well as doing his daily constitutional right infront of the porch) I love the way Mary looks when she has done her job...i swear she has a sly grin..wag wag. If he was little i might not be so mean. Shame on me...How long ago did your pup get bit?

gapeach

Big Mutts
I think it was around January, b/c it was before Smokey died. It was a big white german shepard who bit her. She does still chase the other dog, but she'll chase him out of our yard and all the way into theirs, and I'm scared of what she'll do to it if she catches him! Those neighbors at hte end of our road have had so many dogs since we've been here(bout 7 years) I'm not sure I could count. They just throw them out in the yard and let them run all over. The white german shepard I think finally someone did away with him, I just feel sorry for the dogs, like you do Onyx, b/c it's not the dogs fault they have idiot owners! Carey goes out in our yard (it's not fenced, hopefully will be soon) and I keep an eye on her. She never sets foot out of our yard except to chase something that's been/is in our yard. I took Carey to vet when she was bit b/c she hadn't gotten her rabies shot for that year yet, they put her on antibiotics but put her under and charged me room and board to give her the rabies shot!! They are scared of big dogs for some reason now, I have to find a new vet. I will not be letting them put her under every time they need to do something for her. It's ridiculous, all the would have to do is make up with her a little first. How is Mr Shaffer doing?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Smkie, I'm glad Vic is doing well. I just want to give him a hug and tell him how much we all care about him.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I would get a new vet asp that is just rediculous, and considering that there are risks with that as well..good grief your poooor pup. When they stitched up Bronki's face after being bit by his uncle they gave him a drug that paralyzed him..i held him the whole time and i am not sure he didn't feel every bit of it. The vet told me i better get away from him when it wore off because they bite..and i told him Bronki would not ever bite me..he said once again THEY ALL BITE..and it really makes me wonder why..I cradled his big head in my lap and of course he did not. I'd bite too if i felt every one of those stitches being put in. We didn't go to that vet again. Sorry for you pup that is just rotten.
Mr.Shaffer looked at my mom with love eyes when she went down the hall yesterday..i saw it and felt warm all over...he looks for Hyia when she gets off the bus now and if she leaves the room..mom says he is sneaking in there at night..but at least he is clean (horrrraaayyyyy) i will continue on with our Sat night baths..Go SHaffer!
He is being a bit cross with old Trudy dog and he must not do that at all. Trudy is almost archival and she does get special food and a bit of special treatment. He and i will have to "talk" about that.

gapeach

Big Mutts
I didn't know your mom already had a dog. Yeah you better have a talk with him about being a sweet boy to poor old Trudy, she doesn't need that to deal with, (Trudy or your mom) I bet Hyia just adores him, so he sleeps in her room now? Carey was very drunk and sick after coming home from the vet that day, it was just very unneccesary (sp) They back my mom's dog into a corner to give her a shot, It's just silly, he doesn't even try to make up to them.They told me they would try not to sedate her to do rabies shot, but I know they didn't . He also told me I couldn't be in the room when we put Smokey down, so I took him to another vet. They were very compassionate there, so thinking that may be new vet. Will have to decide soon Carey is out of heartworm meds.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Having Bronki put down was more painful than all the injury and surgery i have been thru in my life..i still cannot think of that day without hot tears stinging my eyes..Like now..dang it..being there and holding him meant everything to me.I was there when he was born..helped open his little sac and saw him take his first breath..no way would i not be there for his last...tears tears..i am glad you went to another vet. The first one probably just didn't want to deal with the emotions of the people during the "procedure" and that is just wrong in every direction. The vet that put bronki down had to do the exact same thing to his own labrador the month before, and she was only five. He let me hold him and talk to him.gave me as long as i needed and did not insert the needle until i said so.. i felt as if my heart was ripped right out of me. They put all 80 lbs of his body in a box with a very nice blanket and took him out a side entrance so i didn't have to face the people in the waiting room. I didn't know we were going to do this when i went in..part of me was terribly afraid it might be cancer..when he coughed blood up on the carpet i think i knew at that time..but they had treated it as a respitory infection so i kept telling myself when we went it that we would just get more antibiotics. I could have taken him home for awhile, but he was already in pain from the tumor in his throat..and he was so very tired..while we waited for our appointment i took him to McDonalds and bought him an icecream..if i had known i would have bought him all the hamburgers in the world. Driving home alone..without his chin resting on my shoulder had me howling in grief..it was a very long drive too. That vet was a very good man..and i trusted him wholey with the only man in my life that treated me right. He deserved to die with dignity..in the arms of the woman that loved him most.
There is a vet i know that is a neighbor to my mom..i would not go to him if he offered his services free..he let his own dog grow without ever checking the collar.it was embedded and had to be cut out. Just because they passed the test doesn't mean they shoud be in practice.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Know exactly how you feel, there was no way I wasn't gonna be with him. I had a nice long talk with him beforehand to tell him what was gonna happen and why I was doing it. I swang him in the swing (something we always used to do). I held him, then they took him while they put the needle in b/c he struggled and the lady held him very gently as I talked to him and petted him. They left me and James (he drove me b/c was afraid I couldn't) in the room for as long as we needed and let us out a side door too. I held him wrapped in a blanket on the ride home and we buried him in my mama's back yard, his first home. I was everything to him, and he was my baby for so long. I grew up with him. I know he still comes around to check on me (he used to tell me when it was time for bed jumping up on the couch, putting his paws on the edge b/c he wasn't allowed on furniture and running to my room and back, until I would go to bed) I know Bronki looks out for you too.

Members online

No members online now.