Another guess the breed -- husky mixed with...?

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
My boyfriend's family has a husky-mix and I'm a little stumped as to what else he could be mixed with. He's got this short, smooth coat (he does have undercoat) which I haven't seen in too many husky-mixes. My BF's absolutely convinced that he's 1/2 greyhound or whippet... which... I just can't see it. He doesn't have the shape of any of the lurchers I've seen pictures of, and his temperament is not at all reminiscent of a sighthound.

So Chaz, what else do you think he could be mixed with? I've been a sighthound lover since I was 12 years old, so it really annoys me when people ask the BF, "What is he?" and he says, "He's a greyhound-mix!" :rofl1:

He's ~9 years old in these pics, about 19-20" tall (definitely has shorter legs than a purebred husky), 55 lbs. Purchased at a pet store w/o any other background info.

He's an Alaskan husky! :D

Seriously... huskies crossed with very short coated breeds like pointers can result in that short coat. And he does look a lot like some Alaskans that I've seen, which are really a husky-based sled dog melting pot type

Lyzelle

He's an Alaskan husky! :D

Seriously... huskies crossed with very short coated breeds like pointers can result in that short coat. And he does look a lot like some Alaskans that I've seen, which are really a husky-based sled dog melting pot type

Alaskan is easy enough anyway. Just husky crossed on anything. So. It definitely works.

Sekah

The Monster.
Kind of looks like a Catahoula mix, but maybe the blue eye is throwing me off.

MicksMom

Part of me wants to say collie.
He could very well be Husky/Smooth Collie mix. I see a little Greyhound, too. It's very possible he's mixed with more than one breed. The Husky/GSD mix we had when we got married was about that size. Siberians range in size from 20 to 23 ½ inches tall at the shoulder and 35 to 60 pounds.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm

crazedACD

He looks like different breeds depending on which photo you are looking at! I don't think sighthound is far off. The first, third, and sixth picture looks sighthound. The second pic looks catahoula. The fifth and sixth look ACDish.

Heinz 57 to me, though I think Husky mix is your best guess.

Lyzelle

He could very well be Husky/Smooth Collie mix. I see a little Greyhound, too. It's very possible he's mixed with more than one breed. The Husky/GSD mix we had when we got married was about that size. Siberians range in size from 20 to 23 ½ inches tall at the shoulder and 35 to 60 pounds.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm
Definitely think he has Sibe in there somewhere, but I just wanted to mention that size isn't a huge determining factor from that side. I've seen purebred Sibes as small as 17'' and as large as 30''. Zander is 27'' and 70-ish lbs. Sibe mixes I've seen as small as 14''. They aren't very potent when it comes to size genetics. Lol.

Romy

Taxiderpy
He looks like different breeds depending on which photo you are looking at! I don't think sighthound is far off. The first, third, and sixth picture looks sighthound. The second pic looks catahoula. The fifth and sixth look ACDish.

Heinz 57 to me, though I think Husky mix is your best guess.
^This.

Temperament in sighthound mixes can be a total crapshoot. I met an incredible 50/50 greyhound boxer mix that looked like a purebred greyhound with a big blocky boxer head glued on, lol. That dog's temperament, drive, energy, etc. was ALL boxer. Mel used to have a greyhound/GSD/sibe mix who looked really sighthoundy, but everything else about her was all sibe/GSD.

In some pics his head looks really whippety to me. First generation sighthound mixes typically are pretty leggy and have tuckups, but there are exceptions. If he had a sighthound grandparent that would make a lot of sense.

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
I got the BF to ask his brother if he remembered what his dog was mixed with when he picked him up at the pet store... he replied, "I think he was mixed with a beagle or JRT??" which seems so random because it's not a suggestion any of you made, or one that I would've come up with myself! I had convinced myself that he didn't have any sighthound because IRL his head is really big and blocky compared to Lugia's, and he has these funny short legs... not like a corgi-mix-short, but (it's hard to tell from these pics) he's definitely quite a bit longer than he is tall. Maybe he had a parent who looked something like this, and inherited the slightly shorter legs, and short coat?

I dunno... it's fun to speculate, though! I really dig mixed-breeds :)

I met an incredible 50/50 greyhound boxer mix that looked like a purebred greyhound with a big blocky boxer head glued on, lol. That dog's temperament, drive, energy, etc. was ALL boxer.
That sounds like an AWESOME looking dog, haha, wish I could see pics!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.