What breed of dog is this?

ddfamily

I was told pure akita when she was a puppy, but now shes almost a year and i'm not too sure.

Last edited:

Saeleofu

Is this her at a year old? Is she wet in that picture?

I definitely see Akita in the face, but I can't help seeing some Belgian in there, too.

ddfamily

Yes this is her at almost a year, she is very small and looks nothing like an Akita to me compared to my pure male Akita.

I was thinking maybe shiba inu, chow, Shepard

Yes she just had a bath.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
She looks like an Akita to me. Just not an oversized flashy pinto one.

Kilter

Where did you get her? Reputable breeder or byb? Papers?

If you didn't go to a reputable breeder, with papers included, then it's an 'akita type' and your guess is as good as ours as far as if she's pure or not. She could just be not well bred and so not the typical 'look' most are used to seeing too. It happens. Or she's just an oddball from a reputable breeder, which is why not all pups from the litter are considered show quality.

In either case enjoy your pet, I'm sure she's a great dog.

ddfamily

yeah she has no papers. I never saw her parents or siblings. My sister in law bought her from a random person off of craigslist.

Yep, as whats been said above, without papers, you're the proud owner of a mutt!

Here's my "purebred boxer" (as written on his surrender papers to the shelter where I adopted him):

The people who surrendered him really thought he was "purebred". Except he's several inches taller than any boxer I've met, and he actually has a snout...

Here's my "purebred Pitbull" (also, as per previous owner on her surrender paperwork):

She's a lean 80lbs and considered a "Pitbull" enough that she's muzzled in public, even though she's mostly toothless.

Anyone who is buying something, expecting it to be a "purebred", without seeing proof, papers and parents is risking disappointment.

Your girl is really cute though, and I'm sure you're crazy about her, regardless!

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Looks akita to me, too. I recently learned that American akitas and Japanese akitas are different and have different registries, so maybe she's more Japanese bloodlines than American. Supposedly they are smaller and don't have the white markings. I don't see anything other than akita, though.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
As other have said, looks all Akita to me, just out of standard.

Members online

No members online now.