beagles

bjolly

in the thread on what breeds you don't want to own, there seemed to be quite a few people who didn't care for beagles. I haven't known any beagles very well, but they are a breed I might be interested in, so I was wondering what it is that makes so many people say they wouldn't want one.

superficially the things I like about them are their size, which seems perfect to me, no extreme conformation, not a lot of health problems as far as I know.

so tell me the good and the bad about beagles.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
For me it's the un-reliability off lead (they tend to follow their sniffers) and the size (I don't tend to lean towards mediumish sized dogs, I either go really little (chi) or large (lab)

..and the baying lol

Romy

Taxiderpy
For me there's not any real reason I'm not a beagle person. It's sort of weird because I adore redbones, walkers, blue ticks, etc. but I'm just not a beagle person. Maybe it's the size? Honestly, I really like beagles, just can't picture living with one or wanting one bad enough to seek one out.

They're pretty adorable and funny little characters. The beagles I've met were sort of independent little clowns.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
They smell, they bay, they don't listen, they're jerks, they bay, they howl, they bark....oh did I mention they bay ALL the time?!

But I love them so much...I'll NEVER be without a Beagle :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
A friend of mine got a BYB beagle and then ended up having my roommate puppysit her for a summer while she was in Europe. So I've spent quite a bit of time around this dog. We also got them in the shelter very often when I worked there for two years.

I wouldn't cross them out for certain but I'd be surprised if I ever end up with one. The main things I dislike are typical hound traits. They're independent, stubborn, and just in general not the kind of dog that is hanging on your every word trying to figure out what you want.

Layla was very trainable but not a biddable dog. She needed bribery and a lot of structure. While my roommate had her she was very well behaved but she was HORRIBLE to be around if she didn't have that structure. She bayed a LOT. I have never heard a more vocal dog and I grew up with shelties. The beagle was much worse. She needed some exercise too, which was a problem with my friend. She was in an apartment with no walks. She loved to go nose to the ground and just explore and I think she definitely needed that. She was a terrible choice for an apartment dog.

Pops2

i like them. in fact i could use a good deer beagle right now to push jack rabbits out of the deep sage for Sonic to run.
one thing in particular that i like is how many work (even from some show lines that actively breed against working temperament).

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
A dog that's healthy and properly groomed really shouldn't smell bad...
Doesn't matter, they're hounds and they have that houndy smell to them. My dog is groomed all the time but he still smells like well a hound dog. It's the same with Bassets as well.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
If you like them, get to know them. People have tons of pre-conceived hound notions, and plenty of people just plain get in over their heads.

My friend's family has raised beagles since the 40's, he can run a pack of dogs by himself, and as soon as they're off the tailgate they WAIT for his OK to start hunting. He raises them inside up to 6 months to work on obedience and I don't believe he's ever lost a dog. BUT they are well exercised, physically & mentally and extremely content.

He has an outdoor kennel with up to 12 beagles at a time in it - you can pull into his driveway to SILENCE. It's all in how you train them, and knowing the breed. I don't consider his beagles "atypical" any more than I consider my coonhounds atypical for the breed - it comes down to KNOWING YOUR BREED, period.

A malinois would kill me - many people live happily with multiple maligators ;) I don't understand herders - I get hounds.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
The baying.... lots of beagle clients where I work and oh, the baying. I don't care for their appearance either. On the baying note, the beagles at work tend to "play" by standing around a pair or group of wrestling dogs and baying and pacing. Ick. It's honestly quite annoying to deal with.

But yeah... baying, appearance, temperament (don't get me wrong, NICE dogs for sure, but hounds aren't my thing).

smeagle

Oh yeah, beagles definitely aren't reliable off leash... :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWV53bt2Ag

My beag has a super high scent drive but if you know how to work with it you can definitely have a dog that is reliable off leash.

She doesn't smell either but then maybe I just don't notice it! I like a lot of things about beagles - their size, they are the perfect Goldilocks dog, not too big and not too small; they are fit and active; they are generally confident dogs with solid temperaments; I think the part of the breed standard that calls for a 'merry hound' really describes beagles well.

They aren't for everyone but in the right home they are awesome dogs.

My next dog won't be a beagle because they don't have enough drive for me but I'd never rule out owning one again.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The baying, the obsessive behaviors (both food and humping--some of the worst offenders I've ever had were beagles and they were impossible to redirect) and the shedding seem to be the biggest cons. They can/do have that hound scent/oily feel to their coat that a lot of people find off-putting, though I'm sure much of that can be attributed to diet.

They are very sweet dogs and some of the cutest puppies ever.

smeagle

The shedding is the biggest down side for me! Far out drives me batty. We vaccum every day and still have hair every where.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Most of the beagles I have met have been really nice happy dogs with no more obedience issues than any other breed of dog imo. Yep, they bay and it is a unique noise which can be a deal breaker for some. Just like shelties bark bark bark bark bark bark bark, and many papillons scream and have diarrhea of the mouth issues. Some mini schnauzers make a noise which can only loosely be described as metal scraping across glass. It's all about what you're willing to put up with.

Probably the most pleasant beagles I've ever been around have been laboratory beagles which were handled daily and super biddable, loved people, and were really nice dogs. I even thought a few of them were even pretty. The worst have been BYB shelter beagles, ill bred, ill socialized and bored to the point of making trouble.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Ow beagles come in diffrent sizes also. I love the bay. They are pack animals for sure though. Defiantly a diffrent type of drive than herders.

smeagle

I think beags definitely need an active home. My beagle would not be happy in a home where she wasn't doing things all the time. Well, maybe she would find a way to make herself happy but I can bet we wouldn't like it LOL

I have 2 and they are polar opposites.

Kody bays all day long. Often, he will hear a bark in the neighborhood at 7am, and wake us up with a loud, boisterous BAROOOOOOOOO!

Bailey never barks. Ever. Seriously.

Kody is THE BEST snuggle dog I have ever known. I love Chance, my gsd, but he doesnt like to snuggle as much. Kody will snuggle next to me, on me, wherever I will let him for as long as I will let him.

But, the baying almost makes it not worth it. Almost.

smeagle

My beagle loves the sound of her own voice and she'd bark all the time, if she was allowed to. She used to bark all the time in stays at obedience until I put a stop to it LOL

Dekka

Just try me..
also as a spin off from that thread.. byb beagles tend to be horrible. Well bred beagles tend to be lovely. My friend has a hunting bred beagle as a pet. She also watches other people's children in her home. Her dog is the most reliable dog with kids I have ever seen. She also does not smell much (which is impressive as she is fed crap food) and is NOT loud.

Spending time with ONE example, esp a bad example is not a good way to decide if a breed is for you. Find some breeders and meet many. (Its a big pet peeve of mine when people know ONE horrible JRT, or terrier, and then think they are all the same way).

I dont' want a beagle as they are not great off leash dogs. Sure some are ok, esp those who get the chance to hunt. But those who don't sure seem to miss it. Smeagle your vid was awesome, but I have found even ones trained for obed need to be 'working' to stay around. If you are just chillin and only keeping half an eye on the dog a beagle is not for you.

Members online

No members online now.