Agility 4 chihauhua

Zoey32

Hey its Zoey

I hav a chi chi that is 3 months now & she weighs 1/2lb ite now. i am interested in entering her in agility. idk if chihuahuas 4 like...idk....too small er somthin':lol-sign: soo tell me about it :p

~Zoe

BostonBanker

They can do agility; many have knee problems however, so you would probably want to get that checked first. 0.5 lbs is very tiny - you may also want to wait until she is older and develops some more muscle and fat.

You may want to google TDAA - Teacup Dog Agility Association. They are a fairly new agility club that is only for dogs under a certain height - 16", I think?, and they use smaller equipment.

Brandyb

Oh sure, Chi's can do agility, and be very good at it. You need to be careful with a dog that small though, and it is best to wait until they are fully developed before you start equipment training (like Boston said, get her checked out at the vets for any knee issues). Get the basics of obedience on her first, work especially on recalls and waits. Then you can start some ground work, basic handling, and such. I would highly recommend getting a qualified trainer to help you. She's only a baby, you've got lots of time, so don't rush her into anything that would get her injured. I started my first dog at about 3 years old, my second one is starting now at 4. TDAA would be great for such a little dog, CPE could also be considered as it offers lower jump heights, and longer times. Good luck! :)

lizzybeth727

Just saw this thread.... I have been doing agility with my chihuahua for over a year now and she LOVES it. Any dog that likes to jump and climb will be good at agility, and most chihuahuas certainly love to jump and climb. But of course, you'll have to wait a few months - most agility classes won't allow dogs less than 6 months old, and you really should wait until your dog is fully grown (all the growth plates fused or whatever) before your dog does a lot of jumping. Definately get her knees checked, too, that's a very common problem in chihuahuas, especially the very small ones. Just tell your vet that you're hoping to start agility, and ask him to check her to make sure her body is healthy enough to do that much physical exercise.

I think the lowest jump height in most classes (I don't know for sure, I'm sure someone will correct me) is 4", so that might be all she'll have to jump. My chi is 7 pounds, and she jumps 8" (not sure exactly how tall she is). Most obsticles are just as easy for chis as for bigger dogs, the one exception might be weave poles (although they're hard for everyone, so I don't know), because the length of your dog's body is probably shorter than the distance between the poles, so your dog will get confused very easily. Besides that, I think agility is easier for small dogs than for big dogs, they don't have to worry so much about tight turns and hitting contacts. (Which is why I don't look at this topic very much, I know how to run my own dog but I will not say that I know how to teach other people to do agility!) Good luck!

Kayota

ya. chiwawa's can do agility. well idk i no alot of other small breeds can do agility 2. :)
...wtf? I think that was rather uncalled for, her grammar wasn't as bad as most people's grammar online, and as you can see I use acronyms too from time to time, so I don't see what the problem is.

Dekka

Just try me..
Just saw this thread.... I have been doing agility with my chihuahua for over a year now and she LOVES it. Any dog that likes to jump and climb will be good at agility, and most chihuahuas certainly love to jump and climb. But of course, you'll have to wait a few months - most agility classes won't allow dogs less than 6 months old, and you really should wait until your dog is fully grown (all the growth plates fused or whatever) before your dog does a lot of jumping. Definately get her knees checked, too, that's a very common problem in chihuahuas, especially the very small ones. Just tell your vet that you're hoping to start agility, and ask him to check her to make sure her body is healthy enough to do that much physical exercise.

I think the lowest jump height in most classes (I don't know for sure, I'm sure someone will correct me) is 4", so that might be all she'll have to jump. My chi is 7 pounds, and she jumps 8" (not sure exactly how tall she is). Most obsticles are just as easy for chis as for bigger dogs, the one exception might be weave poles (although they're hard for everyone, so I don't know), because the length of your dog's body is probably shorter than the distance between the poles, so your dog will get confused very easily. Besides that, I think agility is easier for small dogs than for big dogs, they don't have to worry so much about tight turns and hitting contacts. (Which is why I don't look at this topic very much, I know how to run my own dog but I will not say that I know how to teach other people to do agility!) Good luck!
As an avid agility competitor with small fast dogs and an agility instructor I disagree with parts of it.

Most good agility places will take pups much younger than 6 months. DON'T wait till they are done growing!! Most basic agility training will not harm growth plates in anyway. Basic agility classes should not include jumps or weaves. I start all my dogs with basic agility training at 10 weeks.

Dogs should not jump higher than their elbows until their full developed, nor should they do weaves.

4 inches is the smallest of any venue (unless we talk NADAC hoopers) some venues the smallest regular jump height is 10 inches, but you can run 6 inch specials (or what ever that venue calls it)

From teaching classes I can't say that I have noticed tiny dogs having any more issues with poles than any other dog over all. Some dogs just seem to get it quickly, some don't. I personally think the 2X2 method is the easiest to teach, and if done will seems to work quickly with all dogs. (you can search it on youtube).

I wish that you didn't have to worry about contacts so much with little dogs :) I have a 10 inch 6 pound JRT that can easily miss contacts and an 11 inch JRT that can miss the whole downside of the A frame. Often as small dogs gain confidence and speed they will start leaping off the contacts unless trained to do otherwise.

adojrts

Most people consider the base of the weave poles to be another obstacle within the obstacle of the weaves. Most very small dogs will jump over the base.
Contacts with smaller dogs is more important in my mind, a 24 inch dog falling off or doing a fly off is only falling 2 - 3 times their height, where as a tiny dog would be falling 10+ times their height.
When you actually start to really think about tiny dogs (which can be absolutely awesome at agility) have some very clear disadvantages, other than the obvious contacts, weaves and teeters especially.
When wrapping a jump, the base on the jump standard becomes another obstacle. I ve seen countless tiny dogs have trouble pushing through a chute when it is wet.
And I agree with Dekka, small dogs can be brillant at missing contacts or doing fly offs, especially if they are very fast.
None of this should discourage anyone from training and competing with tiny dogs in agility, but care has to taken that those dogs are trained correctly.

lizzybeth727

As an avid agility competitor with small fast dogs and an agility instructor I disagree with parts of it.
WHICH is probably why I won't be posting on this section any more.

With so much expertise, I wish you had posted before me. Hope the OP is still around.

adojrts

Well if expertise is what is required to have an opinion and post it, then Chaz (along with others) would not be active on any level.
Lizzy it would be a shame if that is what is keeping you away.

Members online

No members online now.