How often do you blog, and how do you blog?

Saeleofu

So, I was wondering, those of you that blog - how often do you blog? How often do you *plan* to blog?

When I started Logan's training log, I tried to post every day or at least several times a week, and was pretty good about it for a while. As his training progressed, I slacked off, partially because there wasn't as much to report since once something is trained you just proof and keep it fresh. Now it's been months since I posted, and in honesty that's mostly because he's essentially done training - just a bit more proofing some things before I'm comfortable using him all the time. It seems tedious to post about every outing when every outing is mostly the same.

So, I started to miss that blog, and started another. I was aiming for 3 times a week, with one weekly feature that's simple to keep me motivated. I've missed that weekly feature probably 50% of the time, though on occasion I go back and post it later with an earlier date stamp (cheating lol). I have a ton of different things I want to write about (and even have them saved as drafts with just a title and an empty text box). How do you find the motivation to post regularly?

I'm not targeting a specific audience, or even any audience - if people want to read it, awesome, if not, that's fine too. But my main reason for blogging is that I mid writing terribly. I used to write so much - stories, essays, kids' books, poetry, songs - and lately it's just been...nothing. Nothing at all. My blog is far from quality writing, but I figure if I just write *something* regularly, I'll get back into the habit - and maybe, just maybe, I'll come across something that will make me want to write an actual essay or short story again.

One more thing, do you ever use some sort of prompt? I used to HATE essay prompts in school, but now I sort of miss them. I can spit out a complete, well-written essay in a matter of an hour (sometimes less) if I have a prompt, but if it's open-ended I just end thinking so long about what to write that I run out of time and don't write anything at all. If you use prompts, is there a particular source that you like to use?

So, let's hear it...blogging tips, from a writing perspective!

Grab

I have a Clive blog so that grandparents and other family members can keep up on his milestones, etc. But I am horrible about updating, sigh.

FG167

I am an active blogger. I have two training blogs for my current two dogs and will have a third when my pup comes home in the fall. I mostly blog for myself so I can look back if I hit a wall or when I get a new pup to help set broad expectations. I also have been told by several new GSD owners how helpful Kastle's blog is for fun things to do with their pup when it's young. I blog several times a week but I also cheat and backdate :) When these dogs are old and retired, I want to print the blogs book style to remember them by.

CaliTerp07

I blog whenever my students say something ridiculous. Which is quite often. Usually 2-3x a week.

It's easy for me though, since I don't have to write anything, just remember it. I'm debating starting up a second blog next year that's actually my good lessons and interesting insights and such, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to really keep up with it.

elegy

overdogged
I aim for 3-4 times a week, but lately it's been mostly photographs. I just don't have much to say, and I'm too tired/lazy/distracted to do the work required to come up with a good subject and explore it well.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'm really bad about updating the Auggie Bloggie. Usually it's photo posts and I have to remember to crawl here and crosspost over to the blog. ;P I want to update it more now that Payton and Georgie are starting more serious agility training. I was thinking about coming up with a weekly feature or two to get me going.

I have a weekly feature for a blog I do with a friend and I forgot it once but only because I forgot it was Wednesday and I needed to post. =P Only the next day did I go "OMG! Today is THURSDAY. Crap!!" So I think if I came up with weekly features I would at least post those...

Well it depends. When I first started, I was catching up from when I had first gotten Squash to where we were at with scootering/skijoring. But once I got caught up, there's only so many posts I can make with pictures of the dogs running, so I usually try to have an actual topic other than "hey we went scootering today!!!" posts (that's what their FB page is for aheheh).

Now I'm mostly sort of posting as I learn and try new things or have new thoughts or reach new milestones, I would say it's maybe once every two to three weeks at this point.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
My blog is about the sever abuse I suffered as a child growing up and also what my step siblings went through. It is also about the legal kidnapping of my children by my mother and the department and also about the sever abuse I suffered at the hands of my ex. It is also about the struggles I go through as I try to over come it all.

I never planned to update it everyday. I can go months without updating. I post in it when something from my past is really affecting me and I just have to get it out. It is mainly for my own therapy but I have gotten an over whelming amount of people responding that have gone through similar things and it helped them to open up and not feel ashamed or blame themselves. I will never blog every day. Only when I feel the need to.

Members online

No members online now.