Brindle JRTs?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I saw a dog today at the vet that looked like a JRT to me but it was brindle and white. Do they come in brindle?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Can it happen.. yes. Is it allowable.. no. You can fix them to record them and play in JRT stuff.. Though I keep finding ads on the net 'rare brindle jrt for stud dog' etc. Ick.

Dekka

Just try me..
Yes brindle is an 'unallowable' colour in JRTs. It has to do with 'bully breeds' in the lines.

Pops2

it's fairly common among working diggers to cross smaller bull & terriers w/ straight terriers for specific jobs like smaller classes in weight pull & digging bigger game like badgers & coyotes. this has been done since the advent of the bull & terriers so brindle shows up.

Dekka

Just try me..
Actually you can get brindle in 'pure' JRTs. So the other non brindle pups in a litter could all be registerable but the brindle pup cannot.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
dont alot of dogs come in brindle rather or not there are bully breeds in there. There have been reports of shelties and border collies being brindle. and yes, they were full blooded too.

Brandyb

Any of the brindles I've ever seen definitely look like they have bully in them. Heavy heads, thicker bodies, stouter legs. I've never seen a "to standard" JRT in brindle, but I'm sure that they're out there.

Dekka

Just try me..
I have met ONE.. but I do see them more in the 'pud' lines. But that could be because people will intentionally breed brindles so they can market them as 'rare' yech!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have met ONE.. but I do see them more in the 'pud' lines. But that could be because people will intentionally breed brindles so they can market them as 'rare' yech!
Yeah, this one was a puddin/shorty jack. Most around here are shorties for some reason. I've actually never seen a 'normal' JRT around here save shows. Even the one at agility is a tricolor puddin.

Pops2

rabbitsarebetter

almost every non molloser breed w/brindle can trace the brindle back to bull or mastiff blood either directly or indirectly. because of well recorded bulldog crosses in the 1300s, 1400s & 1600s the brindle in greyhounds has caused brindle to be common in the borzoi due to trades of deer & greyhounds w/ the czars in the 1700 & 1800s. the dutch sheperd & the belgian mal originate from the same stock but the lines considered dutchies have bull blood added and the non brindles bred back into the mal lines. bull & mastiff crosses of cur were noted as superior boar dogs in the 1500s and the these were bred back into the cur lines. because of these brindle curs & greys you have brindle in foxhounds. the brindle british curs also contributed to brindle in the catahoula.

Romy

Taxiderpy
rabbitsarebetter

almost every non molloser breed w/brindle can trace the brindle back to bull or mastiff blood either directly or indirectly. because of well recorded bulldog crosses in the 1300s, 1400s & 1600s the brindle in greyhounds has caused brindle to be common in the borzoi due to trades of deer & greyhounds w/ the czars in the 1700 & 1800s. the dutch sheperd & the belgian mal originate from the same stock but the lines considered dutchies have bull blood added and the non brindles bred back into the mal lines. bull & mastiff crosses of cur were noted as superior boar dogs in the 1500s and the these were bred back into the cur lines. because of these brindle curs & greys you have brindle in foxhounds. the brindle british curs also contributed to brindle in the catahoula.
Isn't brindle in longdogs from the old old tazi types from way way back? Because there are/have been brindle salukis in the mid east for a looong time.

Here's a photo of a brindle saluki pup taken in the united arab emirates:

Iranian import saluki

Sloughi

Brindle azawakh

Also the mudhol of India,

Not to mention Tazis and Afghans had long had brindles among them.

I always thought that brindle originated in the landrace sighthounds, since they are among the most ancient domestic dogs, and then spread into molossers and bulls from there. Can you refer me to some articles about it?

Basenjis also come in brindle, and they are regarded as being fairly pure going quite far back.

Pops2

i was led to believe by the arabs (in Iraq) that brindle didn't occur in the salech (saluki) until after the brits greys were brought into the area.

Members online

No members online now.