grooming books

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
so im trying to get into professional grooming...
ive been going on outings wiht a local mobile groomer whos probbaly going to be training me...
and of course i have grooming experience with ruby and grooming the parents cocker...
so im not a total newbie...
i LOVE grooming the dogs! lol.
the mobile groomign could be nice but id also like to kep my options open.
and im currently looking into school loans/financing ect to go to the grooming school in new haven ct (about an hour from me) is it worth it or is self taught good enough?!
i cant see doing mobile grooming forever and would like the option of mabe one day having my own little shop or something.

and i do have some questions.

firstly would be...what books/charts do you suggest getting...while im sure the majority of the work is basic bath and all over clip if any...id still like to become as familiar as possible with breed cuts, espacially since even the all over clips often want breed specific faces.

ive been told notes from the grooming table and the all breed dog grooming guide are "the best"
Thoughts? suggestions, either better than the other? any others youd suggest?

clippers?! whats the best brand. to begin with at least id need a good clipper thats not going to break the bank...and of course all the blades to go with it.
something that doesnt heat too quickly, is long lasting and easy to change the blades on.
whaever clipper i get would not go to wase even if i didnt follow profesionally as it would still get used on ruby the cresti and charlie the cocker.
speaking of blades, what type are the best? metal or ceramic?

is there a specific brand line of shampoos/conditiones and grooming products people prefer?!

suggestions comments tips and hints greatly apreciated.

R

rayter

Dog Grooming For Dummies is probably one of the best books around. It has step-by-step instructions and a coat-specific grooming guide for over 150 breeds of dog. :D

"The Everything Dog Grooming Book" by Sandy Blackburn is a great grooming book for beginners, I would highly recommend it. Tells you about products, equipment, dealing with jumpy or nervous dogs...the whole works. It's a fun read, too.

groomer-girl

Groovy Groomer
Dog Grooming Intro Question

If you work with the mobile (or any independent) groomer remember: working with someone like that usually ends up being long-term and you'll never end up doing your own grooming.
-
"Notes from the Grooming table" is an excellent book.
-
Andis ACG2 are lightweight and easy to use clippers
-
shampoos: I use the Hydro-Surge bathing system. Its expensive, but its a great tool. Fresh and Clean -Baking Soda and Oatmeal is a favorite among my retail customers.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I dont have any recc. on other books, but for poodles this is the hands down favorite. http://www.petedge.com/Poodle-Clipping-and-Grooming-by-Shirlee-Kalstone-HB2677.pro

There are many different brands of shampoos i like. Eqyss being a big one, espree, top performance, desert sudz, biogroom, ive had personal experience with all.

As far as clippers go, you are going to have to put some money down at first. Most good clippers start at around 100$. Blades run about 20-30$/per blade. You need to get a couple of the most used ones and go from there (30, 15, 10, 7, 5, 3). I have two pairs of clippers that i Love. The big one is a wahl KM2. It is a corded clipper with a nice feel. On almost any corded clipper, the blades will get hot fast. This one has two speeds, and does a great job. I also have a wahl arco clipper that i wouldnt live without!!! It is a cordless clipper that packs a punch. It has a dialed blade that has 5 settings, is very light weight, doesnt get hot fast, has two batteries to change out, and is fabulous! I wouldnt shave my dogs face and feet without it. I really only use it for those two things though. But it has been worth every penny.

Good luck with your grooming! Oh, and a nice pair of scissors is a must (mine cost 50$).

B

Backward_Cinderella

The Stone Guide To Grooming. Fan-Freaking-Tastic book. And the clippers I use are andis AGCG 2 speed. I use Andis Ceramic blades - They give a nice smooth cut. Be sure and invest in a good pair of shears too! You'll need both straight and curved! :)

Members online

No members online now.