Ears... questions

noludoru

Bored Now.
Middie has always had, well.. nasty ears. I'm sorry, there's NO way to put that more diplomatically. They're gross.

When he came to me he had LOADS of brown, chunky, waxy buildup.. just slathered all over them.. it was even partially on his ear-flaps and out of the canals.

I cleaned them with a 10% vinegar to 90% water solution once, which got a lot of it out.. and gently wiped everything with cotton.. I've done many successive cleanings, every 2-3 weeks, but there is ALWAYS more build-up! Just tonight I took a look and he had lumps of wax down there. Urgh. (They got cleaned, don't worry. Poor guy, he hates it. He just sighs and waits patiently for ear-cleaning to be over.) They don't smell terribly good, either. Not gag-worthy or anything, just mildly unpleasant.

Is there something else I should be doing for him? A better ear-cleaning solution (preferably something I can buy)?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Unfortunately his ears sound like the kind that will only get better with Blue Power Wash... :(

bubbatd

Please check with vet and get a good wash and ointment .....have you checked for ear mites ? When I first fostered Chip I was told he had terrible ear problems ....after good treatments , I never had a problem .

showpug

Make yourself up some of the blue stuff!! It works better than anything I have ever used through the vet...

• 16 oz. bottle isopropyl rubbing alcohol
  • 1/4 cup borid acid powder
  • 20 drops 1% gentian violet.

Mix the above together and shake well before each use. Dry excess with a paper towel. I would use this a few times a week to get them under control and then once a week to twice a week after that for maintenance.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
^^Yeah, that stuff rocks! It got rid of Izzy's yeast infection very quickly!
Just make sure you don't do it in your best outfit, the stuff stains :)

Hey Nolu, I have all the supplies sitting in my closet, if you want I could mix some up and send it to you so that you can see if it helps before you spend the money on the ingredients yourself...

noludoru

Bored Now.
Lauren.. that is SO generous of you. Would you? I'd love that. I'll PM you my PO addy if you want.

Grammy, he doesn't have mites and the vet said his ears are fine, though dirty. She told me I just needed to buy a 'gentle ear-cleaning wash with aloe vera in it'. :rolleyes:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Lauren.. that is SO generous of you. Would you? I'd love that. I'll PM you my PO addy if you want.
Sure, I'll send it out Monday after school :)
Will a PO box accept packages?

noludoru

Bored Now.
OMG! IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His ears aren't clean, precisely, but they look almost normal and are MUCH better than they were. I have before pics, just need to get a few after shots to show you all the difference. It's.. wow.. WOW. The nasty smell is all gone after one use, too. I'm going to try it on Chili's ears as well tomorrow, as she's always had the same (albeit much less gross) brownish stuff in her ears that I could never clean off.

Lauren, I love you. If you need an organ or a limb or something EVER, you know who to call. :D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
OMG! IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His ears aren't clean, precisely, but they look almost normal and are MUCH better than they were. I have before pics, just need to get a few after shots to show you all the difference. It's.. wow.. WOW. The nasty smell is all gone after one use, too. I'm going to try it on Chili's ears as well tomorrow, as she's always had the same (albeit much less gross) brownish stuff in her ears that I could never clean off.
Yayy!! I'm so glad it's working! :D
Did you stain anything? Or am I the only one clumsy enough to end up with a purple house? :p

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sure. :D

It stained nothing, as we did it out on the porch and I had a dark blue sweater on. It wasn't that purple.. I think it's just working with the straight gentian violet that got you. I'm so glad the bag is waterproof because it leaked crazily. Good job taping the thing shut, or I would have had more than a puddle to contend with when I opened it. :eek:

And I have finally found a way to pay you back. Hehe... believe me, you'll love it. But don't ask for hints because it's a surprise.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm so glad the bag is waterproof because it leaked crazily.
Crap! I thought it would be safe, how much did you lose?

Good job taping the thing shut, or I would have had more than a puddle to contend with when I opened it.
LOL! Did you like my tape job?

And I have finally found a way to pay you back. Hehe... believe me, you'll love it. But don't ask for hints because it's a surprise.
Oh geez :Rolleyes:

I don't know if you read anything about the solution, but I forgot to tell you to make sure you shake it well before you use it each time. The boric powder will sit on the bottom of the bottle if you don't. :)

noludoru

Bored Now.
Yep, I noticed that and shake it thoroughly before each little squirt in his poor ears.

I only lost a tablespoon or two. not enough to be a big deal, but enough to be properly messy when opened. :D LOVED the tape job, though, lmao!!!

Members online