Puppy food?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
With puppy coming home in two weeks, I've decided the one thing I haven't thought about is puppy food!

Due to lack of wanting to have multiple types of food in the house...does a puppy REALLY need puppy food? Or is adult food okay?

For a dog that will be maturing 80-90 pounds, is a large breed puppy food needed, or would just a "generic size" puppy food be okay?

I've always switched over my pups to adult food when they were around 5-6 months old, but they've all been medium sized dogs. That still okay?

I'm realizing I haven't done this puppy thing in about six years. LOL Should be interesting.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Our last two pups have just eaten an all life stages food like the other dogs. There are lots of ALS options now, too!

SpringerLover

I get super paranoid about the ca/phos levels for growing puppies. I would definitely feed a LBP food if I wasn't going to check out all the ratios.

I love Precise LBP and Fromm LBP for a moderately priced, grain inclusive puppy food with appropriate levels.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
What is the proper Ca/P ratio I should be looking at?

I may just switch Cynder and Future Puppy over to an ALS food instead of having the hassle of feeding two different foods, then switching puppy over again...

Does protein/fat content matter with growing pups? I typically go with middle of the road values anyway (neither high or low), but just wanted to double check.

ETA:

I feed Cynder Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. This is what it says on their website:
AAFCO Statement
Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula for Adult Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.
Does that mean it is an ALS food? I didn't see a Ca:p ratio listed on the nutrient panel...

ETA again:
Similarly, their large breed lamb and rice puppy food also says that it meets the the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yes, if they say that it meets nutritional requirements for all life stages, then it's All Life Stages.

eta and personally if it was okay-ed as food puppies can eat, I would just feed the same thing as the adult for convenience sake.

I tend to be careful of the calcium/phosphate/protien ratios in the food I feed. With that being said, I feed Fromm's Grain Free and Four Star Nutritionals and have had really good results.

I tend to dog sit alot for other cardi people, and I find that Fromm's is easy for most dogs to transition to, and I have very glossy coats and no allergy problems. It also helps build what I consider to be correct muscle tone.

I don't feed puppy food, because Fromm's has the ratios I'm looking for.

You may want to consider giving your pup the occasional spoonful of yogurt; I find that vanilla tends to go down better then plain, and also the occasional chicken neck.

I also supplement with green cow tripe, but I don't use a whole lot of that because it's so high calorie. Just enough for them to get the benefits of it.

Members online

No members online now.