do dogs get hairballs like cats??

landkwold

I know it's a strange question, but our new puppy has been making a noise much like a cat trying to cough up a hairball (or almost like a dry heave, I can see his little tummy tighten....he's not vomiting, though)....has anyone seen this? I don't want to call the vet if it's nothing-he's got an appt in a few days anyways, but if it's not normal...He started doing it early this morning-and it's not constant, just every once in a while.......

I'm guessing he is "reverse sneezing". You don't need to call the vet for this. Lots of dogs do it and it isn't harmful. Do mention it to your vet when you go, though to see what they have to say. Since I can't hear the sound, I don't know for sure but yes, when they do this, their stomachs tighten up.

Pam

landkwold

bubbatd said:
Could be something else though ....I'd vet check.
yea, it sounds like it's turning into a cough now, and getting a bit more frequent, so we called the vet and are taking him in later today. She told us that alot of the animals coming from the shelter come down w/kennel cough so we might need to put him on antibiotics for a bit.....

Members online

No members online now.